Is it best to pass on used BRJ guitars?

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by Panacea224, Jul 31, 2020.

1. Vyn

Vyn Not a Sparkly Vampire

I love the design, it’s probably one of my favourite SS designs of all time. Unfortunately the history of the brand is fucked :(

Masoo2, Viginez and Randy like this.
  2. Emperoff

Emperoff Hasta la vista, Baby Contributor

I managed to get away from that shitstorm. As plenty of people, at the beggining I refused to see the truth of what it seemed a reputable company. But then the fuckups started to pile up: Barely any communication, plenty of shady stuff surfacing, and my guitar apparently had to be rebuilt twice (!).

At that point there were red flags everywhere and people started to sell their "spots", so I did the same thinking nobody would want it (considering all the shit that was raining).

Boy, I was wrong. It sold in four hours. Some people just don't want to see the signs...

Vyn, Merrekof and budda like this.
  3. secretpizza

secretpizza SS.org Regular

I had always wondered what the issue was with BRJ guitars, and now that I’ve fallen into the rabbit hole of reading hundreds of posts on this, I get it. This should be required reading for anyone considering a custom guitar or a used BRJ.

4. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

It also serves as a masterclass on why not to trust endorsed artists.

DIABOLIC5150 is Keith Merrow. How anyone can read that thread and support him is beyond me. There are a few others who really showed thier ass, but I'll leave it at that.

Ribboz, Masoo2, Ataraxia2320 and 13 others like this.
  5. canuck brian

canuck brian Bowes Guitars Contributor

The side dot indicators were dabbed on with white enamel paint! >.0 That in itself should shoo you away!

I think the worst task I had to do was removing the all the glue from the fretboard without destroying it. I'd put money on the truss rod "slot" being filed out with a rasp - just zero care taken. The fretboard has a shim under it to give it the angle the Kahler needs - I have never seen that in my entire life!

I'm down to shimming the nut again because they didn't do any measurements beforehand, but I've put a lot of time into this guitar to get it into playable shape. There is a thread on my FB page with a lot of photos of the repair and up close shots. It would be an absolutely ripping guitar if the guy building had spent an hour or two more on each process instead of rushing it.

Edit - i looked at the guitar - Unless Bernie had that really awkward looking Cooley cut, i'd say the guitar is customer finished. Those side dots are painted on and you see can see the color difference between the shim between the fretboard and mahogany neck.

Please do not buy this guitar.
    The CDN price of this guitar is $5000. That puts it in league with my fave builders Oni, Daemoness and Carillion. This guitar so far out of its league with those guys that its playing a different game. Also thats $400 shy of two complete customs from me.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 2, 2020
  6. jephjacques

jephjacques BUTTS LOL

I *still* boggle at that fretboard shim. Why on earth.

7. MaxOfMetal

So the woodshop can pump out as many body/neck blocks as possible without worrying about bridge install/neck angle.

The body/neck blocks (and pretty much all fretboards) were done in Mexico by Bernie's team down there.

The Mexican team were skilled, good craftsman, but being paid peanuts, and later not at all, to pump out generic blanks as fast as possible with little regard for the final product.

AxeHappy likes this.
  8. Emperoff

Keith Merrow, Misha Mansoor, Nolly... Just to name a few. They were quick to wash their hands and never be seen with BRJs again when things went south.

9. jephjacques

jephjacques BUTTS LOL

Is it common for there to be that kind of shallow angle on neck-through instruments? Obviously when done well it wouldn't be very noticeable, so I wonder if I just haven't seen it on my guitars or if it's unusual.

10. MaxOfMetal

Some do, some don't. It's not like there's a "right" amount of neck angle for all guitars of a given type. It's just usually handled at the beginning as a design element vs. being done to a blank canvas type of neck/body blank at a later date.

AxeHappy and jephjacques like this.
  11. Edika

Edika SS.org Regular

Problem is that up until quite well into that mess they were supporting Bernie (and S7G and Vik and...). They had insider information though and did not say anything until it was all too late and the cat was out of the bag.

12. Emperoff

I know. I'm on that thread, sadly. I respect those dudes as musicians, but that's it.

I've watched too many builders rise and fall on these forums. I bit the bait twice, and that's enough for me. I learnt a lot from the experiences, though. And I know I probably will never order a CS guitar ever again. I prefer to buy them used.

Edika and Merrekof like this.
  13. Edika

Edika SS.org Regular

I almost got in the Bernie Rico and the ViK runs and I thank my lucky stars I didn't. And yes as musicians I have nothing bad to say about them. But whenever Misha appears around here to promote whatever new product he believes in that day, plays the nice guy routine I cringe hard.

Ribboz, Masoo2, anthony.drake and 4 others like this.
  14. Vyn

The only defence I’ll give them is that because they were endorsed and under contract, legally they wouldn’t have been allowed to say much. In addition to that, talking smack about a prior endorsement is not going to land an artist another endorsement.

That all being said, dam that thread is hard to read again :(

15. MaxOfMetal

False, but whatever. :shrug:

16. Vyn

They weren’t under contract? Damn :(

That just makes the whole thing even more shit.

17. MaxOfMetal

Even if that were they case, contracts can't stop you from reporting illegal activity, nor can they push you into doing something illegal.

Ribboz, AxeHappy, Nlelith and 4 others like this.
  18. nickgray

nickgray SS.org Regular

Same thing goes for pretty much any gear and extends to YouTube influencers. It's all the same can of worms - people are trying to sell you some shit in one way or another.

Emperoff likes this.
  19. Randy

Randy Full on Friendship!™ Super Moderator

I was under the impression shims between the neck and the body are common in acoustics and set necks like LPs. According to my old guitar building books anyway, the neck tenon is cut with zero angle and the shim is how you dial it on to match the bridge angle. Maybe that's an old thing idk.

20. Randy

Randy Full on Friendship!™ Super Moderator

The good news is that you can steal the shape and use it however you wish. Is that crook going to stick his head out of the ground for a lawsuit to risk being thrown in jail instead?

Masoo2, Emperoff, Alexlopez and 2 others like this.