Is it actually possible to play high gain stuff with a 5153 without a gate noise?

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by chopeth, Jun 3, 2016.

1. chopeth

chopeth SS.org Regular

I have a 5150 III 50w and I play in my band with nothing added. I read people talking about boosted 5153... Is it really possible? I have to put the gain at half of the power or everyone goes nuts, and I usually develop a noisefest, and still, it's like raining whenever I stop playing. Plus, it is so loud and yields absolutely every little movement from my hand or mistake I make. This head gets so much praise I should be doing something wrong.

2. mniel8195

mniel8195 SS.org Regular

you can boost the blue ch. Boosting the red ch sounds like crap. I liked the koko boost reloaded when i owned a 5150 III. Are you using a gate? you may also have some garbage preamp tubes.

3. chopeth

chopeth SS.org Regular

No, no gate at all, I assume this has a lot to do, but I don't know. I only use the red channel and green one.

4. scottro202

scottro202 I'm walkin' here!!!

If by "nothing added" you mean straight guitar into amp (no effect pedals) you shouldn't be receiving enough noise to where it'd be a HUGE problem. I'd check out all your tubes, preamp, power amp, and also have a look at the wiring of your guitar. If something is messed up with your guit's wiring that will be sure to bring noise. Do you use single coils at all? Even for cleans or anything? Play near any neon lights? Are we talking just in your rehearsal space or is this noise happening EVERYWHERE?

Noise can be cause by a whole lot more than just high gain, and I tend to think of gates as last resort solutions for huge rigs and for traveling to different venues, or for getting super tight djent tones :2c:

5. GunpointMetal

GunpointMetal SS.org Regular

If you wanna get rid of pickup noise and random little "touch" noises, get a gate. If you're not getting uncontrollable feedback, then you do whatever you want. I wouldn't even consider playing anything in the modern metal-ish realm without a gate, though. I've seen a few bands where all of the dramatic pauses and mute-syncopated stuff lost all of its momentum because one guitar player couldn't keep his rig quiet. Nothing kills a dead stop like squeaky feedback one the mute....sounds super unprofessional and unpracticed.

6. EdgeCrusher

EdgeCrusher SS.org Regular

It sounds like you may have a bad preamp tube. My 5150 III 50 watt is very quiet for a high gain amp. I don't really need to use my noisegate unless I boost the amp with my TS808. You could also try a lower gain tube for V1 or V2 to help tame the gain of the amp.

7. chopeth

chopeth SS.org Regular

Thanks mates! Not especially looking for djent tones anyway. I tried with different guitars, so the pickups are not the problem. Some of you tell me noise gates are the last resort, but friends of mine tell me they don't even consider using the evh without a noise gate, so as gunpointmetal says. Plus, some of them use the blue channel, so it must be rare to find someone playing with a "bare" red channel gain in the middle of the way (that's what I infer, maybe I'm wrong)

Anyway, not an unbearable feedback, but something like a constant harsh rain when I'm not playing an the guitar volume is all the way down, remember, amp gain and volume at 12 o'clock. I'm trying to discard the faulty valve hypothesis here. :scratch:

8. SwanWings

SwanWings SS.org Regular

I know that the 100 watt is a little different than the 50 watt, but on my 100 watt's red channel, that's a crap ton of gain. I probably don't put the gain on mine up past 10 o clock. Playing metal, by the way, not mid gain rock or anything like that.

9. Womb raider

Womb raider Drink from the goblet, the goblet of gore

How high is your volume? I don't have any problems on the red channel at bedroom volumes but it can get a bit noisy cranked and the gain is turned up over 11.

10. Jaxcharvel

Jaxcharvel SS.org Regular

Don't know about the 5153, but the old 5150 head I had had WAAAAAY too much gain at noon. Like SwanWings said, 10 o'clock should be more than enough gain. I ran mine at 9'oclock with a clean boost. I also used a Decimator, but it was more for syncopated stuff, not to control feedback.

11. rexbinary

rexbinary MOD King

I have the 15w LBX. Like others have said anything past 10 o'clock (4) on the red channel gain is unnecessary even for metal, and sounds worse the higher you go in my opinion. I do boost the red channel with an SD 805 to tighten it up for metal, but that's using a gain setting of 2.

12. Alex Kenivel

Alex Kenivel Stunt Guitar

What are you, new? :lol: They all make that "raining" sound even when you turn the volume knob on your guitar down. This is what gates are for :yesway:

13. chopeth

chopeth SS.org Regular

Great, it seems that the gain at noon is too much, I don't have problems with bedroom volume, it's about the rehearsal one, half of the volume of the amp. So, I imagine my valves are all right, not a second hand amp, and I should put down the gain a little bit and try a decimator one of these days. I'll try that and come later to talk about it. Thanks a lot

Yes, I'm new, I've only played solid state combos for 20 years, so I'm not very used to high gain valve heads, hence my question. Anyway my band partner uses a Powerball I with a G-major and when he isn't playing it is quiet as f*ck. I like my 5150 sound better but I'd love to be as quieter as his when not playing. I always have to switch to the green channel for that.

14. FILTHnFEAR

FILTHnFEAR Dread it, run from it....

New to hi-gain tube amps, you say? Meet your new best friend.

[​IMG]

Irks me to play without one. Especially once you throw eq's and od's in chain.

15. Alex Kenivel

Alex Kenivel Stunt Guitar

Yep I still have a decimator somewhere in case I decide to break out the analog rig

16. Rawkmann

Rawkmann SS.org Regular

Both of the 5153 heads I've tried were pretty damn noisy, it was kind of the biggest thing that turned me off to them. A noise gate should help greatly with that though. +1 recommendation for the original ISP Decimator, best gate I've ever used.

17. KailM

KailM SS.org Regular

Noise is no big deal if you get a noise gate like the aforementioned Decimator or a Boss NS-2.

I have a 6505 which theoretically should be more noisy than the EVH 5150 III, but I actually don't find the need to use my NS-2, because the noise isn't that bad even with an EQ in the loop and a boost up front. But with the NS-2 run in the "X-pattern" it is DEAD silent when I mute the strings, at any volume level.

One pedal. Solves ALL of the noise issues.

18. pastanator

pastanator electronic musician

Can vouch for the decimator. First time I used it was jamming with some friends a few months ago and I couldn't stop geeking out over how cool it was

19. Hachetjoel

Hachetjoel Ibanez whore Contributor

yea all amps make "that raining noise" unless you use a gate, the 5153 is one the quiter high gain tube amps but still a gate is pretty much necessary, don't worry about people telling you "gates are for noobs" thats like saying "earplugs aren't metal" it's bad advice and just plain wrong.

20. op1e

op1e Spirit Taker

I've never gotten the X pattern to work an an ns-2 with either I've had. Either they're broke or I'm missing something. Aside from that, v1 and v4 make the biggest difference for red channel if you wanna throw 5751 in those spots. Turning the gain up on the red channel thickens things up a bit, and the only way to do it is with those. I never ran my gain past 10 o'clock either.