Is industrial metal still a thing? Lol

Gmork

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Forgive me for having fun but i made a weird black/industrial metal remix of a... I dunno... Solo electronic song i made.

-If you want a sick slammy breakdown skip to 1:00.

-for a cool blackmetal sorta part skip to 2:30 and wait a sec lol.

No one in the world gives a shit about anything or anyone else but fuck it. SSO has been my stomping grounds for too long and i love it so im gonna share the dumb shit i do lol.
ENJOY! 😝

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
From watching music trends lately and how metal was cool again for a bit, now its back to grunge being cool, industrial is going to be coming back soon.

SCJR

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
1:13 she's picking up PROPER nickels :lol:

I like how it picks back up at 1:45. Very cool.

LostTheTone

Elegant Djentleman
Reaction score
Thing is that the industrial scene and the metal scene are both relatively small, and the intersection is even more so. I am a huge fan of both, so that works great for me, but neither genre nor their fusion is especially accessible.

The period when industrial metal was a big deal was down almost entirely to two dudes - Trent Reznor and Marilyn Manson. Neither did anything that was utterly unique, but they did both focus on making commercially accessible music. Both industrial acts and extreme metal bands of the late 90s were almost willfully opposed to the idea of appealing to more people.

Once we get into the 2000s, things get a lot better. Nu-metal got a lot more people working with metal, including electronic producers and hiphop beatmakers, so suddenly everything has some industrialish elements because the harsh metallic industrial sound fits much better with a band like Chimaira than a pure EDM sound.

But today things have gone in other directions. There are some bands (Fear Factory) who would never sound like anything else. There are some genres (Neue Deutche Harte) that are defined enough and have enough of a scene to carry on. But thats about it. If I were starting out today, I wouldn't be trying to make industrial metal because it's hard man, and it's also unappreciated.

Gmork

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
From watching music trends lately and how metal was cool again for a bit, now its back to grunge being cool, industrial is going to be coming back soon.
Yeah thats def how it works eh lol. Newer generations come along and start doing something and are like, weve never heard this, this has never been done... WE LOVE IT lol.

@LostTheTone oh totally, dont forget atari teenage riot and kmfdm! There was awesome later death metal bands with those elements too like the berzerker and fuck im dead.
And its definitely not something im trying to bring back or do on any regular basis, just did this for fun.

AMOS

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Probably NIN, and some Dystopian Metal bands fit into that genre

wheresthefbomb

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Cult of Luna's Vertikal I and II had a lot of industrial themes and aesthetics. I don't think it's commonly identified as being part of the genre but to me there are a lot of similarities that at least speak to their being influenced by other industrial music. The albums are heavily inspired by the film Metropolis so that's definitely got something to do with it.

LostTheTone

Elegant Djentleman
Reaction score
If anything Doom soundtrack really gave ppl idea about making metal really industrial

Well, yes and no.

Yes, in the sense that Jeff Gordon totally gets industrial metal. No, in the sense that there isn't anything new there, just a new audience finding it.

However, the importance of video game music shouldn't be understated. A really critical element in industrial metal (and industrial and extreme metal) is the broader aesthetic. Video games provide the visuals to fill in the blanks; they create a tangible world that this music inhabits, not just music that stands alone.

Before video games, you kinda had to use your imagination. You had to read William Gibson to find that kind of world (And if you've never read Burning Chrome, do so immediately, it's short but pure Sprawl perfection). Today, take your pick, although I think the less regarded Deus Ex: Invisible War takes the cake because Kidney Thieves both did the soundtrack and their singer plays the future pop star who produces it in game.

Perhaps the big reason why NIN and Manson got big while a lot of people didn't was because they both understood about projecting an aesthetic. Going to see NIN back in the day was a weird artificial reality, a whole different world.

c7spheres

GuitArtist
Reaction score
@Gmork don't sell it short man. That was awesome. You are legit a more enjoyable listening experience than pretty much most stuff. Except when they play Sabbath.

Reaction score
Ladies and gentleidiots....I give you...

Black Magnet

Heretics In The Lab

Hitchcock Guillotine (I'm a little biased because I lent vocals to this song)

Obstakl

Author & Punisher

There are a lot of aggro industrial metal bands out there. Personally I think they're boring but sometimes the vibe helps my mood for songwriting..but usually I'd rather listen to NIN or something.

narojo

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Does Rammstein count? Zick zick zick zack schneidt es ab!

Kaura

matching headstock fetishist
Reaction score
I love industrial metal. Especially KMFDM. I think they're more like a techno act with guitars thrown into it but that's what I like more than just metal music with some synths/samples thrown on top of it.

wheresthefbomb

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Ladies and gentleidiots....I give you...

Black Magnet

Heretics In The Lab

Hitchcock Guillotine (I'm a little biased because I lent vocals to this song)

Obstakl

Author & Punisher

There are a lot of aggro industrial metal bands out there. Personally I think they're boring but sometimes the vibe helps my mood for songwriting..but usually I'd rather listen to NIN or something.

I got to see A&P live at psycho CA, definitely a highlight. I haven't loved everything he's put out but it's undeniably unique and the stuff that hits, hits.

HoneyNut

Regular
Reaction score
I think our genre now pales in comparision in edge factor to other genres, even from other cultures. Not sure if you've been exposed to pop acts outside of NA or Europe, but some of that stuff is so edgy, makes me feel like heavy metal is just weak in effect. That's jsut my unpopular take. The peak was with what Pantera delivered, and right afterwards, the Deftones / Rammestien / Marilyn Manson era... but even if there is industrial music thats there, im sure its there, i still have to hear it.

Front Line Assembly was a great band that was so underrated.

I could conjure up an indian flavored bhangra inspired industrial metal band, with all the indian glamour, sexed up stuff, but with a dark, metal, fusion obviously. Not done yet.

Whereas industrial music, or metal music of today, is just so polished, as if its had its balls cut off, for lack of a better analogy, sitting at home, playing nice tapping glitter reverb stuff blah blah... yuck. That has no attitude. I wonder how industrial metal would revive that being said.

Just thoughts in my head.

evade

enthusiast
Reaction score
I came here to see if anyone posted old Dawn of Ashes