Is bias fx considered the best for amp plugins?

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by thevisi0nary, Aug 11, 2015.

1. thevisi0nary

thevisi0nary SS.org Regular

just curious on what everyone's opinion is on this.

2. marcwormjim

marcwormjim SS.org Regular

Best in which respect? I've seen reviewers that went with another plugin based solely on the UI.

I think it has the potential to be the best - But (as with every product) 99% of the uploaded amp models on the tonecloud are just different stabs at the same five worthless, generic butt-chug metal sounds. You look through Positive Grid's tonecloud and you'll honestly see amps with the following kinds of descriptions: "Amp-matched to Lil' Wayne's live track - Sounds good with Misha Overdrive in front of it and tuned to drop-G#."

I've counted ZERO Allan Holdsworth patch attempts, and three for Eric Johnson that are just JCMs with the treble all the way down.

ohmanthisiscool likes this.
  3. thevisi0nary

I understand what you mean. When I say best I mean best most realistic sound for a metal tone.

4. Emperor Guillotine

Emperor Guillotine The Almighty Ruler

5. thevisi0nary

Okay what would you use instead

6. kamello

kamello DESU METARU!

TSE X50 all along or Ignite Emmisary. LePou Lextac for some tasty leads and good dynamics

7. Nlelith

Nlelith Motion Designer

Best commercial offer? Probably. But freeware still beats it in terms of the sound. TSE 808 v 2 + LePou LeCto + IRs still sound best for me (My IR loader is not freeware, though).

Some might consider that having all fx/amp settings in one plugin is more handy for practicing, if you like to have a lot of shenanigans with fx.

8. Floppystrings

Floppystrings banned

I have been using a TSE 808, and Lecto for a long time now. Cab impulses are like 50% of the sound, so that part needs to be dialed in and adjusted carefully (you can ruin the sound with an impulse set too loud, or too quiet.)

9. FrancescoFiligoi

FrancescoFiligoi Guitarist in Within Destruction / Abiogenesis

To answer the OP question, no. For best Metal tones, TSE X50 v2, Ignite Emissary and Recabinet 4 are way better imho

10. JPhoenix19

JPhoenix19 Playing life by ear

For all-around ease of use with quality of sound, I use Guitar Rig 5 with external IRs instead of the stock cabs. I use the Van51 and Rammfire heads almost exclusively.

But more so, I personally like Peavey ReValver 4 for realism. It's quickly replacing GR5 as my favorite amp modeler, I just haven't invested the time into building my live and studio patches yet. Being able to tweak each amp *literally* at the circuit level is really cool. The stock cab sims are also the best I've heard from any guitar modeler I've tried.

I really liked TSE X50 v1, and when I demoed TSE X50 v2 it didn't sound terribly different so I wasn't really motivated to pay for it. For that reason I'd recommend getting v1 if you can find it and it's still free.

ohmanthisiscool likes this.
  11. thevisi0nary

Jw what is the direct function of cab impulses? Like how do they affect the sound? Also How do third party irs differ from stock ones included with modelers?

12. thevisi0nary

Thanks for all answers on the thread

13. mikah912

mikah912 SS.org Regular

They affect the sound the same way a guitar speaker affects a real amp: It rolls off harsh buzzy highs and rounds out/focuses the tone. A cabinet impulse also includes additional EQing via the simulation of the microphone capturing the sound.

Without them, you just have a harsh buzzy tone directly from the poweramp/speaker out of an amplifier (simulation, in this case).

Third party IRs have historically been created with a lot more detail and care than stock IRs, but that's changing. S-Gear comes with a great set of Redwirez impulses. Recabinet 4 and Revalver 4 offer pretty detailed cab/mic sims via their respective developers, and TSE X50 V2 comes with an awesome selection of third party IRs from Rosen Digital, Fat Lazy Cabs, GuitarHack and others.

Bias is kind of the odd program out.

14. JPhoenix19

The function of cab impulses? They're a short sound file that captures the eq and reverb properties of a signal chain. So you put the IR in the signal chain right after the amp sim and it makes it sound like it's coming through the power section, speaker cabinet, microphone, and whatever else was captured in that IR.

The cab sims in GR5 are not very good IMO. Using third party IRs opens up possibilities to use cab sims made by other people. For example, I've been using God's Cab IRs (impulses of a 5150 power section driving a Mesa cab with V30s) within GR5.

GR5 makes you pay for the ability to use third party IRs within the program (you have to buy Reflektor), or use another IR loader after GR in the signal chain in your DAW. ReValver 4 has a really good IR host built-in.

15. JPhoenix19

Yeah, Bias pretty much hodge-podged together some of the popular features of other modelers- Bias' cab simulator is straight out of Amplitube.

My opinion about Positive Grid is that it may be the best modeler on iOS, but not on PC/Mac. It's well-marketed and highly endorsed by all the YouTube rockers, but that doesn't make it the best.

Of course, it's all subjective. Good thing it's really easy to demo PC/Mac modelers before you buy them and decide for yourself. :yesway:

16. mikah912

mikah912 SS.org Regular

Bias on PC/Mac has always struck me as half-done/half-finished, whether it's watching it slowly load up the first patch as you boot it up, or the extreme volume jumps between amps and pedalboards on the "Tonecloud" or the way Positive Grid seems unable to clearly explain the differences between their various pricing tiers or why the prices are all over the place.

17. MetalBuddah

MetalBuddah 0000 00 0 0 00 000

Best on iOS, yes. Best on Mac/PC, lolnope.

18. JPhoenix19

Their pricing model?

"Well it's on PC now and all the other modelers are about $200 so that's what we will do."

"But it's no different from the iOS version which costs $40!"

"STFU you're fired!"

I doubt they did more than a quick tweak of the code to make sure it works. That's what I think about why it seems clunky on PC/Mac compared to other modelers that were designed for PC/Mac.

19. Drezik27

Drezik27 SS.org Regular

I might be in the minority, but I really like Revalver.

I've been able to get some really great tones out of it. I'll admit that it does take a little bit of tweaking.

There are a few presets that sound fantastic right out of the box though.

20. JPhoenix19

Without touching any of the factory presets, I started demoing ReValver by loading an amp and a cab sim. Maybe after that I loaded a TS pedal for a boost.

Based on that, I felt like without a whole bunch of pre- and post-FX it had the best and most realistic overall tone.