is anyone using a guitar sub in a band situation?

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by sleewell, Mar 13, 2020.

1. sleewell

sleewell SS.org Regular

I have been kicking around the idea of adding a guitar sub woofer to my live rig. i go back and forth from it being totally redundant to it maybe being awesome. we have a good bassist. the places we play have pretty good sound systems. seems like i could send less lows to my 4x12 and the sub would take over those frequencies. i play a 7 string in drop a, using a helix lt. it would mean going down to just the 4x12, i woudn't bring the sub and the 2x12.

its not anything i could really test out before buying so i was just curious. i just think that our doom sections and breakdowns would be extra killer if everything rumbled but i could also see it being a huge waste.

thanks!!!

2. GunpointMetal

GunpointMetal SS.org Regular

If you have a bassist, I don't really see the point. A sound guy is probably gonna shelve everything coming off the guitar at 90Hz or higher anyways, so it would be for you on stage and not much else. The tuning of the guitar is less important than how it fits with the rest of the music. Adding stuff below 100hz is pretty useless for guitar IF you have a bassist, no matter how low you're tuning. I'm a full octave below you and I'm still high-passing at ~110hz.

cGoEcYk and sleewell like this.
  3. sleewell

sleewell SS.org Regular

kinda my thoughts but then i am also like just buy it lol, thanks for the reply!

4. GunpointMetal

GunpointMetal SS.org Regular

I mean, ultimately you should be playing through whatever makes the situation most enjoyable, hence the rigs of doom with four 4x12s and a bass stack just for guitar, it's just not something I've personally chased because sounding good in a band situation is was makes it enjoyable for me. If you want the guitar to rumble some butts, go for it.

sleewell likes this.
  5. sleewell

sleewell SS.org Regular

well shit lol. this is exactly why i am on the fence!!!

someone just replied to maybe buy my 5153. that would be about the cost of the sub i am looking at.

6. gunch

gunch Riff Chugman

It’s more of a feel thing, or at least that’s why Stef has a sub Live sometimes

sleewell likes this.
  7. Bearitone

Bearitone SS.org Regular

In my experience i found out a sub wasn’t what i wanted. I just wanted more speakers period.

i would say grab another 4x12.
    Or even a 6x12

c7spheres, odibrom and sleewell like this.
  8. sleewell

sleewell SS.org Regular

right on, thanks for the post. i use 6 12s now and it is pretty fucking rad.

9. Merrekof

Merrekof SS.org Regular

As a bass player, I wouldn't like the idea of you messing around in MY freqeuncy range! :stone:

Seriously, let the bass player do the low end. :D

cGoEcYk and sleewell like this.
  10. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

Grab another 412 if you're up for hauling that much stuff. More is more :lol:.

sleewell likes this.
  11. MetalDaze

MetalDaze Repless in Seattle

I have a 6505 sub. It’s not very practical for most situations, but it is fun for messing around.

sleewell likes this.
  12. c7spheres

c7spheres GuitArtist

I've done the sub thing and wouldn't recommend it. The direction I went was with four ported 2x12 cab's similar to Earcandy Buzzbombs, which I built myself. This is much more responsive and useable low end than when I tried the ISP SL subs each with a 4x12 on top. An even better way to go is with a ported 2x12 cab and a 4x12 cab. 6x12's is really where it's at, but just not as portable. I like it better than two 4x12's actually, but you gotta have the ported cab's and right speakers etc to function that low end properly.

sleewell likes this.
  13. cGoEcYk

cGoEcYk SS.org Regular

Sub lows tend to muddy up the mix. IMO for clarity its probably ideal to keep tha low bass minimal whether you on bass (I tend to cut sub 100hz a little and bump around 150-180 for better punch/presence) or guitar since there can be so much low end in general with br00ts especially if downtuned. Maybe try an octave pedal to flip on at times if you have cabs with good low range extension (Swamp Thangs are killer for sub 100hz).

Merrekof likes this.