Iron Maiden - The Book Of Souls

Yeah_man

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I will ALWAYS remember my seventh son time - Crazy uncle in UK - Crap guitar, many beers

We sat there for hours upon hours playing to try and get a part right

Thats what Maiden is to me.. I have seen live a few times but nothing can replicate that time and feeling. Im glad they are still playing but its just one of those things that stays with you

jahosy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Got the digibook edition today as a father's day gift for myself LOL

Easily one of their strongest album since 7th son. Loving it.

EmaDaCuz

Brutal yet soulful
Reaction score
I had a quick sneak peek at the album on YT, less uninspired than the latest stuff, yet for from being a classic. I like the mood, though. As someone said here, it has some 7th Son resemblance here and there.
The major problem is Bruce's voice, he clearly struggles here.

efx1138

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Not sure I agre with the strained part. Yeah, it's not like he's singing the high notes like he did on NOTB and POM but for me his upper register has always had that timbre since after the powerslave tour.

Really loving the new album though, got the vinyl and special edition cd and having been a fan since 1989 and this has the potential to be my clear favorite since SSOASS.

HeHasTheJazzHands

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
It doesn't sound strained, but you can finally tell his voice is aging now. Sorta how dUg Pinnick's and Rob Halford's voice slightly changed overtime, considering they're also in their 60s.

andyjanson

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Just got in from work with my new deluxe version waiting for me. Time to put the kettle on and get settled for that glorious first listen through. Nothing beats a new maiden album, and at their current bi-decadely output rate, you gotta make the most of times like these. I'll be back.

Force

Jackson Addict
Reaction score
I'm so in the minority here, I got it early & only played through a couple of times. I'm struggling to listen anymore, I think for the most part it's terrible.

There's a few good songs (the short ones) & others had loads of potential but it has too much .... that spoils it.

The worst thing is how badly it's played, it's the sloppiest performance they've ever done.

I've been a 'love everything' fanboy since my childhood but no more.

andyjanson

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Just finished - definately enjoyed myself. I'm not the best person to review maiden albums since I'm incapable of disliking anything they do (classic line-up that is. Don't get me started on the blaze era). I'm not awestruck, but it sounds like it'll be a grower at this stage. I'm also interested to see how it turns out live - for me, El dorado, when the wild wind blows and particularly the talisman only really made sense to me on En Vivo. A couple of tracks stood out as being a bit weaker - death or glory and the man of sorrows were a little meh, but overall I'm pretty happy. If eternity should fail is already stuck in my head. I didn't notice the playing being particularly sloppy apart from the completely unecessary bass bit at the beginning and end of the red and the black. I think a lot of the perceived 'sloppiness' is down to the recording being done live, and I actually think they sound very tight considering that and the lack of absolute clinical precision gives it character. About on par with the final frontier for me at this stage, so I'm giving it a tentative 7.5/10 for now, but I do reckon it'll grow on me a bit yet.

EmaDaCuz

Brutal yet soulful
Reaction score
OK, first listen was pretty much positive.
Second listen, well, no. I highly dislike the album. The only song I "like" is Speed of Light, the opening is not bad (except the ugly title), the rest is way too long and gets boring.
I agree it is played BAD.
5.5/10 for me, which makes it their second worst album in my ranking after The Final Frontier.

crushingattack

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I just couldn't get into this album at all - started listening it and after a few tracks I stopped without regrets. I will try to listen it once again, but as for now it is too similar to Final Frontier, which is one of the worst Maiden's album.

big_aug

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I only got through the first half so far. I thought it was pretty solid. I like Bruce's low growl type stuff he does on Book of Souls. I'm not a big Maiden fan or anything. I haven't listened to many of their albums all the way through. Manly just listened to the well known stuff. Maybe that's why I kind of like it. I had no expectations.

I think the title track is really good. When that opening riff kicked in I was driving in my car and said ".... yes" out loud.:hbang:

Andromalia

Pardon my french
Reaction score
Got a physical copy from amazon and downloaded it since I won't get the delivery before monday.
So far liking it, I'm currently listening to my first play.

Edit; finished, overall average but I like the red and the black a lot. Not a bad album, I actually like the production.

OmegaSlayer

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I didn't expect much, but this was less than I expected, the songs are not that bad, but the performance and recording are the worse Maiden ever had...another album that did NOT made 2015 memorable.

Now, if Gorod fails too, this year is to burn for me.

Fat-Elf

Banned
Reaction score
Haven't listened the whole album yet but from what I've heard from other people and what I've heard myself, the one of the biggest problem with the the album is that the playing is horrible. Nicko's playing is so "tired" and guitars are out of sync at times. I don't really like the mix either. I can't understand the whole live concept they're trying to do with their albums when the end result sounds completely the opposite. Playing off-time doesn't equal live playing.

RobbYoung

Psalm Mutes End Wars
Reaction score
I can't understand the whole live concept they're trying to do with their albums when the end result sounds completely the opposite.

In a world of quantized drums, auto tune and edited takes making everything sound perfect, I find it refreshing that these tracks sound as if the band got together, and played their ....ing tracks in one go. Yes that means it sounds how a live performance would, with all the slips, slight off beat hits and sloppiness you get from that, but that's Maiden.

I personally love the fact the album sounds how it does. Give me this kind of recording over a Death Magnetic overly produced sound any day.

Andromalia

Pardon my french
Reaction score
Especially since I didn't like how Death Magnetic sounded anyway. (I listened to it only once, and i was the biggest Metallica fan from my teens to the Load era even if the latter weren't balls-to-the-wall MOP-like thrash they sounded good) I'm fine with processed production if it sounds good.
Maiden has gone for a live production feel for a few albums now, it's not really a new thing of theirs.

drmosh

Sir Paul of the Mosh
Contributor
Reaction score
I'm not convinced, but I have only listened to half of the first disc. So I guess I should stfu really.
pretty generic riff, "nice" melody work, some ....ing blatant "here is steve harris bass production" in some parts.
I guess I need time.
as always, smith has BY FAR the best solos, because he's a boss

OmegaSlayer

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Especially since I didn't like how Death Magnetic sounded anyway. (I listened to it only once, and i was the biggest Metallica fan from my teens to the Load era even if the latter weren't balls-to-the-wall MOP-like thrash they sounded good) I'm fine with processed production if it sounds good.
Maiden has gone for a live production feel for a few albums now, it's not really a new thing of theirs.

I don't mind the live sound live, as Maidens always had the mojo live to compensate the lack of tightness, but on the record the mojo doesn't come out in the same way and if you don't have the tightness, it sounds...sloppy :(

(To clear any doubt about my love for Maidens...I purchased Powerslave the day of my 8th birthday, for the cover but loved the music, and that record took me into hard rock and metal...it was 29 years ago...)