iPhone 8 wont work with guitar?

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by 7 Strings of Hate, Mar 29, 2018.

1. 7 Strings of Hate

7 Strings of Hate Mid-Level Asshole Contributor

So I was wanting to just take my guitar, my bluetooth speaker, and my phone and beable to play when I'm traveling. I know some of you guys do it. How the fuck do you get it to work?

I downloaded garage band, plugged the guitar cord into a 1/8 adapter then into a lightning port adapter. I know it said you need an interface, but I just wanted to make sure it worked first. They say you "need" an interface with guitar to pc, but it will still work without one, it just doesn't sound great, so I thought I would try.
    So i get no signal. So then I thought hey, an interface is an interface. So i routed it through my m-audio fastrack pro, and still nada. I looked up some issues and turned off mono only sound in the general tab, tried the reset option on garage band. I even downloaded another guitar amp to see if it was garage band and again, no dice. I tried multipul cords and adapters and nothing. I didn't see any monitor buttons or anything in the program.
    I would go buy an irig 2, but if it doesn't work, I'm not going to bother.
    What gives?

2. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

Not sure what you're trying to do exactly? I used to have one of those irig-style plugs -> the trick was that it split the combo-headphone jack into separate headphone and mic jacks, and fed the guitar signal into the mic (with some kind of impedance matching going on). My gut reaction would be that a standard headphone-to-lighting adapter isn't going to work because it doesn't do that splitting and doesn't do the impedance match. The transition to lightning cables on iPhones probably means it's a more complicated connection too. A regular headphone adapter probably isn't going to be able to take input, or I wouldn't expect it to. I dunno how you'd hook up a fasttrack either, isn't that for PCs?

I'm fairly sure you'll need a solution specifically for this application: an interface made for iPhones with lighting cables, like one of those irigs.

3. 7 Strings of Hate

All I'm trying to do is beable to plug in my guitar to my phone, ultimately use bias fx as an amp sim, then bluetooth the signal out to a standard bluetooth speaker. Something I can travel with and just take a guitar, bluetooth speaker, and iphone.

I think your probably right, but the iphone interface most people recommend is the i-rig2, which takes in a 1/4 plug, but outputs to a 1/8 plug that you need a lightning adapter for. So i assume its the same thing as pluggin in direct, but maybe not?
    I saw people use scarletts for their interface as well, so i assume any interface would probably work? So i plugged my guitar direct into the fastrack and took the 1/4 audio out to the 1/8 adapter to the lightning adapter and no dice.

But ultimatly, I think the part that you mentioned about splitting the in and out is probably the problem. When I plug in, I do see the volume slider for the iphone says "headphone", but I thought sending the audio out to a bluetooth speaker would treat it differently than headphones at that point.

4. spudmunkey

spudmunkey SS.org Regular

Man, I don't know how other folks do it, but I tried my friend's half-assed setup, and the delay on the audio coming out of the speaker made it impossible to play against without a loooooot more practice. Imagine a 2/3 second single delay, with the dry signal muted.

5. GunpointMetal

GunpointMetal SS.org Regular

You're not going to want to use Bluetooth for processing guitar. You will need something with physical I/O. I don't think the iPhone can simultaneously input analog audio, process it, and output bluetooth audio.

6. 7 Strings of Hate

Was he using a bluetooth speaker? I'm concerned about latency too, but with as many people using this stuff and as many amps out there, i figure it probably had to work decent right? I mean, people arn't playing these things with hundreds of miliseconds of latency are they?

Yea, that seems to be the issue. Thats not a big deal with an interface that has a headphone out though. I could just use a 1/8 cable and direct plug into my bluetooth speaker.

7. Andrew Lloyd Webber

Andrew Lloyd Webber Super Duper Moduraturr

I fear you’re kind of SOL unless you buy some junk.

1. Is your lightning to 3.5mm adapter output-only? Anyway, everyone else mentioned why it won’t work.

2. Bias FX is iPad/PC-only, and Bias Amp for iPhone is a separate purchase from iPad. Basically, Positive Grid sucks. But I use their apps I bought three years ago.

3. iOS requires your bluetooth to be the audio input and output - Meaning that you cannot monitor your analog-in through Bluetooth in real-time; and can only use it to stream previously-recorded audio in Garageband. And because the iPhone 8 did away with the 3.5mm jack, this means your guitar-to-lightning interface will need to be sufficiently complicated as to allow analog audio in and out (likely separate 1/4” and 1/8” jacks). If you’re already prepared to buy a dedicated interface, then by all means.

My iOS rig is an Apogee Jam into an IPad Air 2 with a TRS 1/8” cable going from the headphone jack to either a Bose Soundlink Mini or IK iLoud. I have no plans to contend with integrating it with an iPhone 8.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2018
  8. gunch

gunch Riff Chugman

I also learned that trying to do anything iOS based with Postive Grid apps with a phone and not a dedicated ipad is dildos

Can vouch for the soundlink mini though, my sister has one and it's great

9. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

their adapter only works for things that are correctly wired trs style.

signals not going to the right place with their standard adapter

10. Thrashman

Thrashman Got Groove?

What you are trying to do is equal to trying to play music through a microphone.

you need an irig or similar interface with a lightning connector.

11. 7 Strings of Hate

Why does apple have to be so shitty. You need special shit to do most things with it.

12. GunpointMetal

GunpointMetal SS.org Regular

It could be android, then realtime audio processing wouldn't even be an option. I think the fact that you can even DO guitar FX on a cell phone/tablet is pretty cool even if I'll never use it. Why not just get one of those new Boss Katana Air practice amps? Built-in wireless and just about as portable as your proposed travel practice rig once you consider an external interface, bluetooth speaker, cabling/dongles.

13. erdiablo666

erdiablo666 I'm from Canada...and they think I'm slow...eh

Man you can get an iRig for cheap. That and decent headphones are all you need. Go to settings and select "low latency". It uses up more processing power but it works great. I can't handle any kind of latency and it's fine for me. I don't even notice it.

14. Thrashman

Thrashman Got Groove?

It has nothing to do with Apple being shit or wanting people to buy their products, not using an interface (eg. using a tele to mini-tele adapter like OP tried to do) will sound like ass because of the impediance of the guitar signal. This is why people use interfaces.

15. Andrew Lloyd Webber

Andrew Lloyd Webber Super Duper Moduraturr

I do most things with it to feel like a special shit.

16. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

I got a Zoom G1on. Works great for headphone practicing. It is small, runs off batteries, Drum beats, etc....

17. mehegama

mehegama SS.org Regular

I m using my iphone 6s with Tonestack and Fiddlicator for IRs and does marvels. You need a proper ad converter that connects to lightning. I m using the iRig HD 2 and works very very well.

18. ElRay

ElRay Mostly Harmless

One of the big motivations here was to get rid of the headphone jack to allow for two bigger speakers and free-up board space for newer chips.

It's not shitty, it's different weighting on the pros and cons of any change. If you need a headphone jack for a two-way audio "interface" then an audio-jack-less device isn't good. If you have an audio interface that runs off USB, then you're good to go with the newer phones.