Iphone 4 vs Droid X2 - Which to buy?

Discussion in 'Computers, Electronics, IT & Gaming' started by ZEBOV, Jul 7, 2011.

1. ZEBOV

ZEBOV Banned

I'm pretty indecisive about this. I already have a plan with AT&T, but I'm getting pretty tired of it. But lucky me, my parents still pay my phone bill since I'm on their plan, so if I switch to Verizon, they won't pay it. I would also pay the extra costs of having an iPhone 4 if I get one on their plan.
    I know all the differences with hardware, but I know very little about the software for either phone. Anyone know any real world differences between these phones?
    BTW, I live in an area with plenty of 4G coverage.

Stealthdjentstic likes this.
  2. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

I'd stick with ATT (if your area has solid coverage like mine) and pick up a Samsung Infuse. This phone is fucking awesome. Giant, high quality screen, great battery life, solid feel.

Though, if you are dead set on going Verison, then go for the Droid. A co-worker of mine has one and loves it to bits. I've played with it a few times and it's a great phone. It's like my Infuse but bulkier.

What you should really do is go to a Verizon store and try both phones out. Hold them in your hands and dick around with apps.

For the record I've previously owned all previous iterations of the iPhone (2G, 3G, 3GS) and while they were solid phones I was never quite happy with them.

3. loktide

loktide dotlike Contributor

i went from an iPhone 3G to a Samsung Galaxy S2 and couldn't be happier. I was also considering an iPhone 4, but i'd take the Galaxy S2 over it anyday.

4. Rev2010

Rev2010 Contributor

I went with a Droid 2 after having an iPhone 3G for 2 years and also couldn't be happier. The iPhone 4 is definitely a beautiful device, I just personally hate Apple's tight fisted control - not trying to start anything, just my personal feeling toward Apple.

But I love my Droid. I have Flash, can email any attachment I want, and I have a physical keyboard (got tired of touchscreen annoyances while typing). The one thing though is the iPhone is much easier. With the Droid's you'll find you'll probably replace most built in apps with 3rd party downloads. For example, I use K-9 for my email as the built in was pretty crappy. I also needed to download a free app to rearrange the order of my bookmarks, strange that it's not built in but no biggie. I also had to download a free notepad app as it doesn't have one by default - again, no biggie.

Rev.

5. ZEBOV

ZEBOV Banned

I agree about Apple being so controlling. They're like a bunch of Nazis, just like the sevenstring.org mods *cough cough* I mean, just like Hitler was. :lol:
    The price is what attracts me to the iPhone 4 ($25 extra a month for a data plan.... yeah, I have no data plan.... not my fault:wallbash:), but what attracts me to the Droid X is that I'll be "freer" with it, doing things like overclocking it without instantly voiding the warranty.

6. edsped

edsped SS.org Regular

Overclocking isn't necessary or even really that useful like it was a year or so ago.

But if you're a tweaker then Android is probably the way to go. You'll have to do more troubleshooting than you would with an iPhone, but you get a lot more freedom. AND, these days, rooting isn't necessary in the least, whereas I still wouldn't buy an iPhone without jailbreaking it.

7. MaxOfMetal

Another advantage of Android is competing App Stores. You have the preloaded Android Market as well as access to the new Amazon App Store. If there's one thing that's good for the consumer it's competition. Amazon has already seen fit to try and oustage the Android Market by offering payed apps for free and easy account/payment sync.

Then you have the Apple App Store for iOS. There's no competition so Apple can do whatever it wants. Look what they've done to ebook publishers and music subscription services. Even if you count Cydia/Rock as competing stores you have to Jailbreak to access them and tbey are FAR from user friendly or stable.

I will say, on average, Apple apps tend to be of higher quality, but the migration rate of developers making Android ports of Apple apps is soaring, just like Android's market share.

8. Rev2010

Rev2010 Contributor

I call prefer to call them fascists:

fas·cism   /ˈfæʃɪzəm/ Show Spelled
    [fash-iz-uhm] Show IPA

–noun
    1. ( sometimes initial capital letter ) a governmental system led by a dictator having complete power, forcibly suppressing opposition and criticism, regimenting all industry, commerce, etc., and emphasizing an aggressive nationalism and often racism.

Outside of the last two (nationalism and racism) the rest is spot on with how Apple runs their business.

Rev.

9. ZEBOV

ZEBOV Banned

I'm definitely a tweaker, and I have no problem with going more in depth for troubleshooting. It makes me feel nerdy.

10. asmegin_slayer

asmegin_slayer cali-cornia bluffer

I have the iphone 4 and its been serving me well.
    -Battery lasts the working day/all day (depends on use)
    -Camera is awesome for the day light (sucks at night, like all other phones)
    -HD video is awesome
    -I actually like the syncing very much, not to picky
    -I DON'T GET ANY ANTENNAGATE! :lol:
    -Software is user friendly and smooth
    -I don't need an app to close all the programs to save resources and battery life
    -Apple warranty and support is awesome imo. I had my phone screen cracked after owning it for 3 months, took it to the nearest apple store the next day, told them the honest story and gave me a spanking brand new phone free of charge.

Samples of photos:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. Rev2010

Rev2010 Contributor

Just had to respond to this point:

I have a Droid 2. I don't have any appkiller apps installed and never have needed to kill apps to save battery life ever. I only charge my phone while getting ready for work each morning and when I plug it in to charge the battery life is typically at 70-80% full, so I'm only charging it up 20% at most. I've gone two full days with charging my phone and still hadn't gone in the red area and I use to all the time to check email and browse the web.

There are indeed other Android phones that do have abysmal battery life - my wife's Atrix comes to mind. But in her instance it's a trade off, she really wanted an uber light phone and the Atrix is the lightest smart phone I've ever come across. So in that regard there is a sacrifice of battery life.

However, on mine phone it's never been an issue. I have background data sync turned off because I'm not entering new calendar entries and contacts all day long so I don't need it always on. I turned it on after creating a new entry, let it sync, then turn it off. I also don't use email push, and when it was on in my iPhone 3G the battery drained within hours so I never use push. That is the *only* thing I do to save battery life.

Rev.

12. asmegin_slayer

asmegin_slayer cali-cornia bluffer

I'd figured I'll get a reply from that. :lol: However, that's real informative, and I appreciate the insight.

I think we can all agree that the newer smart phone battery life nowadays (iphone 4, droid 2..etc) is a shit ton better than any of the older generation iphones.

To the OP, if you decide to go with an iphone, I would wait until after summer since they'll announce a new phone. If you can't wait that long, then definitely check out the androids.

13. edsped

edsped SS.org Regular

Also using task killers is actually detrimental to battery life on Android.

14. ZEBOV

ZEBOV Banned

The HTC Evo has a maximum battery life of about 5 hours. :rofl:

15. MaxOfMetal

Bullshit. My girlfriend's lasts roughly 8 to 12 hours depending on use.

The "5 hours" is talk time.

16. dacimvrl

dacimvrl ss.org irRegular

between those 2, i would grab iphone4, cuz droid 2 is made by motorola, and they are notorious for their lack of support.

17. ZEBOV

ZEBOV Banned

Droid X2*
    Not Droid 2.

18. sentagoda

sentagoda A serious man

Not having tested the droid, but countless other smartphones . I always ended up with apple. I always say I wont to go apple cuz of the their limits on stuff. But the user friendly no can compete at the moment.-

19. Joose

Joose Custom User Title

I'm not into tweaking things on my phone, so Androids are pointless for me, when I already love iPhones.

The 5 should be out soon enough, and I'll be picking one up.

I dunno, every Droid I play around on I just end up saying something like, "Hmmm, my iPhone 3Gs does this, and that, and the 4 does this, which means the 5 will do it, but better."

iPhones are just so nice, simple and reliable. I've had this 3Gs since the day it came out, love it!

20. Mindcrime1204

Mindcrime1204 SS.org Regular

Thought about getting the new EVO 3D, but the 3D shit seems kinda gimmicky. I didn't like too much how I had to stare and basically go crosseyed at the picture just to make it look 3D. Not sure yet. May just switch carriers(sp) when the new IPhone 5 comes out at the start of the 3rd quarter.