INTERVIEW : Ari from Destrophy

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by vampiregenocide, May 15, 2010.

1. vampiregenocide

vampiregenocide SS.org Regular

Unfortunately I can't post this in the interview section, so here it is anyway. Hope you like it! Cheers to Ari for taking the time out to do this, he's a very nice guy. :hbang:

Sevenstring.org - How did Destrophy start and what was your intention with it?

Ari - Destrophy was a high school project that grew out of wanting to play some Metallica, Pantera, and Megadeth covers. It just never really died! I've killed it at least 4 times over the years but something always happened to make me keep going. I've been lucky to have a lot of positive people and true believers in my life.

SS - How did you start out playing guitar, and what made you start playing 7 strings?

Ari - The sound of Def Leppard's Hysteria and Metallica's Master Of Puppets made me abandon keyboard for guitar around the age of 13. You just can't make a piano or synth sound like that, ya know? I experimented with many tunings over the years, dropping lower and lower in pitch, and even using a Hipshot Trilogy tuner, which allows 3 tunings per string. Eventually, seven strings dropped in price since everyone was so over the Korn craze and I bought one and loved it. It really fit my hands and gave me back some of the note range I missed when I was playing piano. As a composer, it really frees you up to be able to go lower when you want to. Needless to say, we don't just ride the open 7th string all the time. Just some of the time;)

SS - I've noticed you've used a range of guitars live with Destrophy, can you tell us a little about the guitars you have used and what you are using mostly now?

Ari - I always wanted an Explorer a la Hetfield, not just because I think it looks cool but because the shape is very comfortable to play and feels very metal and pompous, helping to get into character for a show! You would think there would be someone making a 7 string explorer but noooooo. So I commissioned Doug Darling from SoulMate Guitars (www.soulmateguitars.com) out of New York to build one, after reading about his necks on this forum! I was originally going to have him build just the neck then finish the rest with my uncle who has made custom guitars for me over the years, but due to time constraints Doug ended up pretty much doing the whole thing- and it looks and plays amazingly. It's a wide neck (2") and a 28 5/8" scale, tuned to C# standard, dropping the lowest string to F# sometimes. (string gauges: 80, 60, 48, 38, 18p, 15, 12) It has a very tight sound- I wanted the clarity and crunch of Meshuggah mixed with some old fashioned metal thud and I feel that with this guitar I have it. 81-7 for the bridge. The placement of the bridge pickup is crucial for me to have the right sound- we always measure a certain distance from the saddle to make sure it has the right tone.

We are endorsed by ESP and I've been using the HEX-7 LTD Nergal Signature guitar. It has most of the features that I require- although it is a shorter scale (25.5) so I have to play it with a bit less force than I'm used to, but it feels great and I love the look. In fact, I just did a cover photo shoot for Max Sports and Fitness (www.maxmuscle.com) for their June issue with me oiled up and the ESP slung over my shoulder ready to battle!

My backup is an Agile 7 string V. Kick ass guitars for the price! 27" scale. I really like pointy guitars! I have an 8 string at home that I might be writing some new material on. We'll see what happens. If only they made a pointy 8...

SS - What is your live amp/fx rig?

Ari - I use the Fractal Audio Ultra straight into the board and I've pretty much become the spokesman for that thing on the past few tours. I've got converts! My other guitarists use a Line 6 PodXT Pro and a Digitech GSP1101 with the beta software mod, and we have those tweaked pretty decently to compare with the Fractal. But of course, the Fractal is on a different playing field! So we have no cabs onstage, and as an opening act, this works well for the rest of the bands, especially when stage space is at a minimum. We just use the monitors at the venue, and since we all use in ears, the monitors are basically there for feel.

SS - Where do you consider Destrophy's place in the metal scene?

Ari - I really think we are filling a void in the melodic metal market. We have a throwback 80's sound with pop choruses and big time vocal production, as well as the actual vocal performance to back it up live. We're one of the few bands that can open for Hinder and then open for Bury Your Dead and still have success. We have an live energy inspired by hardcore acts but with the style of late 80s thrash a la Metallica, Megadeth, Pantera, etc.

SS - Have you got any interesting stories or moments from tours and shows?

Ari - Kettle bell training with my hero, the late Peter Steele comes to mind. Doing ab routines with the guys from Bury Your Dead and punching each other 250 times in the stomach while hanging from a fire escape was pretty fun (the bruises the day after were not!). Sleeping over at Otep's bass player, Evil J's house and eating Turkish meatballs. It's definitely the personal connections that you make that are most interesting and powerful for me.

SS - What other work have you been involved in throughout your musical career other than Destrophy?

Ari - I'm a producer and recording studio owner back in Iowa, so I have the pleasure of working with many artists from various genres. In fact I write for and sometimes tour with Kareem Salama (www.kareemsalama.com), the world's first country-Westeren Muslim singer! It's a fun project and he's a wonderful friend, and it's inspiring for my own work to write in a different style.

SS - What advice do you have to young musicians and bands who have just started?

Ari - I always tell people to record themselves as much as possible and gauge their progress. You never really know how you sound when you are playing together, and if you're not getting better, you are falling behind!

SS - Finally, what do you have planned for Destrophy in the next year or so?

Ari - We want to be known as road dogs! We started last August with Otep and haven't had much time off. We've got a big 2010 planned- just finished with Otep, Bury Your Dead, and Through The Eyes Of The Dead, and the current tour with Taproot will last until the end of June, then we'll follow it up with more! We want to put ourselves to the test and continue to perform at the highest intensity we can muster. Hopefully we'll meet some of you forum members out there and please come and say hello- I promise we are the most approachable band you will find and I'll talk your damn ear off if you are interested in gear:)

BrainArt and Prydogga like this.
  2. Rick

Rick ALL HAIL DJOD Forum MVP

Good interview. :yesway:

Props for using an Agile as a backup, although if he's sponsored by ESP, shouldn't he just have another ESP as the backup? :lol:

3. vampiregenocide

Cheers man, and I think he's had the Agile or longer than he's been with ESP, so I guess in time that will be replaced by other ESP models they give him.

Thats it from the looks of it.

4. Rick

Rick ALL HAIL DJOD Forum MVP

Man, I want one of those. :wub:

5. destrophy

destrophy New Member

Hey all! I'm excited to have something I can offer this wonderful forum:) You are correct in assuming the ESP endorsement happened after the Agile purchase. I really enjoy switching between guitars every night. Also- endorsements, at least at our level, do not entail getting a million guitars, etc. We all got to pick one- and as I said in my interview- I likes em pointy! The SCarpenter's are fantastic, although for the life of me I do not understand how anyone can pick over that middle pickup!!! Always interested in answering any questions anyone has. Thank you for the interest and if you happen to be at a show, please come chat me up!

6. vampiregenocide

Good to see you signed up Ari :wavey: