Interesting/unusual rhythm guitar sounds in metal

Kolaniak

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Same amp. But Richard started to become more of a tone freak by the time Mutter came out. Also I think he was using a Seymour Duncan JB vs the EMG 81 he's more known for.

I was watching an interview with Paul Landers the other day and he said that the Rammstein sound is basically a mix of him playing through a Sansamp and Richard's Mesa. Either way, a very huge and thick sound. One of my favourites.

Another entry for the thread: Orgy's Ryan Shuck guitar sound. It sounds nothing like a guitar.

rikwebb

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
These for sure. Peter always used a Sansamp going direct into the board, so you get that LPF-sounding guitar emulation vs your standard "real" guitar cabinet. The first Grip Inc album sounds like he's using a Strat or something. Ian D'sa always had one of the coolest crunchy tones and has always been a goal for me. And Countdown and Youthanasia always had... weird tones. Especially Youthanasia.

Also it's funny Papa Roach was brought up in the OP. I listened to a song from that album and immediately thought it was either a Marshall DSL or JCM900... Yep, JCM900, AND JMP-1. :lol:

Also my 2 cents; Richard Kruspe of Rammstein's tone starting with Mutter. A early revision Recto with not a lot of gain, but layered to fucking hell and back to sound like a monstrous wall of sound. I've yet to hear any guitar tone sound that heavy
Didn't Links 2 3 4 have something like 24 layers of guitar tracks?

SCJR

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Tesseract - pretty much everything they have ever released: I know they used PODs in the past, but then again, so have others, yet nobody has that kind of guitar sound.

Great bass tone is the bedrock of any great guitar tone but especially so in TesseracT. I'd say that's the secret sauce there.

Unless you're talking about their clean sound, which is also pretty unique.

StevenC

Javier Strat 7 2024
Reaction score
These for sure. Peter always used a Sansamp going direct into the board, so you get that LPF-sounding guitar emulation vs your standard "real" guitar cabinet. The first Grip Inc album sounds like he's using a Strat or something. Ian D'sa always had one of the coolest crunchy tones and has always been a goal for me. And Countdown and Youthanasia always had... weird tones. Especially Youthanasia.

Also it's funny Papa Roach was brought up in the OP. I listened to a song from that album and immediately thought it was either a Marshall DSL or JCM900... Yep, JCM900, AND JMP-1. :lol:

Also my 2 cents; Richard Kruspe of Rammstein's tone starting with Mutter. A early revision Recto with not a lot of gain, but layered to fucking hell and back to sound like a monstrous wall of sound. I've yet to hear any guitar tone sound that heavy
Countdown and Ali G is all Bogner Fish and CAE 3+SE right? The 3+ I had is a weird sounding preamp that sounds very Megadeth.

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
I find that Vildhjarta has a crazy sort of "boomy" piano quality that I haven't heard anywhere else. Their cleans are also a mystery to me, much like Tesseract.
I can't remember 100% if it was them, but doesnt Tesseract use some raw DI blended in their cleans?

HeHasTheJazzHands

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Didn't Links 2 3 4 have something like 24 layers of guitar tracks?
I think I read that Richard joked he used 28 guitar tracks because he just turned 28. It's an interesting sound on that album because on some tracks (Links included), it sounds like they added a higher octave layer of guitar tracks.
I was watching an interview with Paul Landers the other day and he said that the Rammstein sound is basically a mix of him playing through a Sansamp and Richard's Mesa. Either way, a very huge and thick sound. One of my favourites.

Another entry for the thread: Orgy's Ryan Shuck guitar sound. It sounds nothing like a guitar.

He changed his rig a lot, but since like 2010 - 2011 it's be consistently Sansamp. Before that he swapped a lot between the Sansamp PSA-1, Engl Fireball, and Bogner Uberschall. You can definitely hear a lot of PSA-1 on the first 2 albums. It's such a fizzy sound. :lol:
Countdown and Ali G is all Bogner Fish and CAE 3+SE right? The 3+ I had is a weird sounding preamp that sounds very Megadeth.
giphy.gif

But seriously, yeah. Both albums were both CAE preamps. Listening to Michael play it here sounds spot on to Megadeth, especially when he plays lead.

HeHasTheJazzHands

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Since we're talking about non-guitar-sounding guitar tones... Always felt In Flames had *terrible* guitar tones post-Clayman.

But Soundtrack To Your Escape sounded... interesting? Unique? It's not that wall of sound like Clayman or even pre-Clayman sounds, but it's kinda cool sounding.

Kolaniak

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Since we're talking about non-guitar-sounding guitar tones... Always felt In Flames had *terrible* guitar tones post-Clayman.

But Soundtrack To Your Escape sounded... interesting? Unique? It's not that wall of sound like Clayman or even pre-Clayman sounds, but it's kinda cool sounding.

In Flames is a Nu metal band?

Lan

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Always thought Gojira's tone on From Mars To Sirius was unusual in the amount of reverb they used. Almost gave it a "live" feel. Heavy AF.
Such a good album. A lot of Gojira’s work can be summed up as a guitar into a 5150; but FMTS definitely had some tones that were outside their signature sound. The track From the Sky especially! It almost feels like it dips it’s toes into HM-2 territory

HeHasTheJazzHands

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Such a good album. A lot of Gojira’s work can be summed up as a guitar into a 5150; but FMTS definitely had some tones that were outside their signature sound. The track From the Sky especially! It almost feels like it dips it’s toes into HM-2 territory

A lot of the old Gojira stuff was Recto > Marshall cab. It wasn't until Flesh where the 5150(III) came into play.

Reactions: Lan

Lan

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
A lot of the old Gojira stuff was Recto > Marshall cab. It wasn't until Flesh where the 5150(III) came into play.
I looked it up and yeah, it seems that FMTS is actually the Recto with the Marshall cab. Also at some point apparently early on they used a Marshall Valvestate? Not sure if it's on any albums, but yeah. Good info! I always just assumed a 5150.

HeHasTheJazzHands

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I looked it up and yeah, it seems that FMTS is actually the Recto with the Marshall cab. Also at some point apparently early on they used a Marshall Valvestate? Not sure if it's on any albums, but yeah. Good info! I always just assumed a 5150.
Same TBH. I thought Recto was only the first 2 albums because Mars sounded so different. But nope, Recto. :lol:

I think a Valvestate was used for rehearsals, since it was Joe's first big-boy amp, but when recording it was Recto.

Reactions: Lan

kamello

DESU METARU!
Reaction score
anybody knows the full setup from Gojira's "From Mars"? (mic, specific Marshall cab, etc.) I was chasing that tone for ages when I was younger and there were tons of conflicting information floating around