Interested in purchasing a bass, need help?

Discussion in 'Bass Guitar Discussion' started by vkw619, Dec 29, 2014.

1. monkeybike

monkeybike loves Dying Light

I have a Roland Bass cube and it makes for a nice little practice amp, it has a bunch of built in effects as well. It's got enough punch to rattle my house.

2. 7stg

7stg SS.org Regular

I use studio monitors for everything. A set of 6.5-7 inch monitors with a sub will get the deepest extension which is ideal for bass, ERG's and keyboards.

3. vkw619

vkw619 Inspired Beginner

Any idea on how it will work with the HD500x? As far as taking a preamp goes? I know some guitar amps don't like to combine on board effects with other processors.

4. monkeybike

monkeybike loves Dying Light

Not sure, I just run a Wooly Mammoth fuzz into it.

5. stevexc

stevexc Contributor

So the SR505 seems a little daunting, but it's not too bad. The two big knobs are Volume and Balance, which are pretty simple - Volume is straight-forward, and Balance is the equivalent of a pickup selector.

The other 3 knobs are a 3-band EQ - treble, mid, and bass. They all have a notch at the mid point, and on either side of that will add to or subtract from that frequency.

Lastly, the switch changes between the two different mid frequencies that mid knob controls. One way will accentuate or cut your low mid frequency, the other your high mid frequency. I've got an older SR505 that didn't have this switch so I can't speak to how it sounds.

6. Orgalmer

Orgalmer Chuggasaurus Rex

Thanks man, that's a way better description than what I wrote up haha.

Your Pod HD500 X should be fine to use on pretty much anything. I think if you set it up as Combo Front it should run correctly with that Orange cab? I will check and get back to you.

7. vkw619

vkw619 Inspired Beginner

Thanks a ton for the help bro. That makes a bit more sense than what Ibanez and google were giving me.

Thanks man! Looking forward to hearing from you! :hbang:

8. Orgalmer

Orgalmer Chuggasaurus Rex

Found some helpful info regarding the Pod and connecting to various amps and cabinets:

More info available here: POD HD500X\HD500\POD HD\POD HD Pro FAQ - POD HD Family - Knowledge Base - Knowledge Base - Line 6 Community

9. vkw619

vkw619 Inspired Beginner

A bit of an update -

I have been trying different basses and so far the S505 has been my favorite.
    However, do you guys think that the lower models are good as well? There is a S303 used for 150 at my local Guitar Center as well as a S405 for only 400. Opinions on these models? Or is the S505 worth the extra 250 dollar price tag for a starter bass?

10. punisher911

punisher911 blah blah blah

If the cheaper ones feel just as good and sound good enough to you, jump on it. Price tag be damned. Play what feels/sounds good to you. I've played $2400 Warwick $$ on stage and all the way down to a $179 Badtz-Maru Squier on stage.

See...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. MetalRecordingServices

MetalRecordingServices New Member

Never buy an amp that you cant dial in to please you in under five minutes. It just wont be the one for one for you. You'll frustrating and dialing not playing.

Id recommend a pre amp with separate power amp amp Cant lose if bass aint your cup of meat, you need a power amp for monitors anyway.

4 or 5 string, well remember this set of facts. The open E on a 4 is depending on tuning around 41 to 44 Hz. Already lower than most home stereo speakers.(usually 60Hz sometimes 80hz) Once you go lower whatever you spent your energy creating gets badly lopped off. How many laptop listeners will use a subwoofer while discovering and judging music? Almost none will. Watch Bruce Dickinson's Live skunkworks, for some insight on his high level opinion. Just might shed some light.

12. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

The SR400 series from Ibanez is pretty much an industry standard mid-level bass. I don't think you would be displeased with the SR400 nor the SR405. (Personally, my complaints with Ibanez basses are the "cramped" feeling, particularly on the five and six strings, of having tighter string spacing and scale length)

I believe that Ibanezes still come with some literature on which knob is which, but perhaps not any more, and it seems that the question was thoroughly covered already. Personally, I like to start with all of the EQ knobs set at their mid-point stops, and then adjust them so that I get an acceptable tone with a good cut at sound check. I think that the bass doesn't so much get "lost" in the mix as a guitar can, but it can lose its attack quite easily, if the guitar and bass do not find unique EQ space to occupy.

As far as amps and cabs, it's really a personal preference. I've always liked the tone from the Ampeg bass amps. The SVT can be expensive and heavy to transport, though. The solid state amps are usually lightweight and simple to set dials for a good tone, in my opinion. There's nothing wrong with any mainstream bass amp, though - Carvin makes some good stuff, and I've had great luck with Peavey as well.

For cabinets, I've historically gone with two cabs, either a 2x10 and a 1x18 or a 4x10 and a 1x15, but I am currently using just a single fifteen combo (Peavey TNT 115). It has pretty simple controls and seems to work best in my context of having a guitarist using an H&K Tubemeister. For my own stuff, I plug bass in direct to the PA [via DI box] or recording console.

13. hairychris

hairychris Hairy Old Bloke

Ibanez SRs are a good start for a guitarist going to bass, as this is the route that I went! The neck is a good cross-over, and do agree that string spacing is a little narrow.

I've just upgraded to a USA-built EBMM Sub 5. Neck's a bit wider, it's a bit more of a handful but still manageable.