Instruments On The Go!

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by Skyblue, Jan 12, 2015.

1. Skyblue

Skyblue SS.org Regular

Hey guys,
    So I've been moving quite a lot lately from my place to my parents' home, which puts me in times where I wish to play music but can't as my instruments aren't with me (kinda hard carrying a guitar or a bass everywhere~). On top of that, I'm planning on going on a trip abroad in a few months, and I thought to myself how much of a bummer it would be not being able to play music...
    So I'm thinking- why not get an easily transportable instrument? Something that I could easily carry, and play whenever I'd like?

So after a bit of thought I came up with the harmonica. Ridiculously transportable of course, the only downside is the limited amount of scales (I'm referring to a diatonic harmonica) and I guess limited possible musical choices (or genres, if you will), even though that can be arguable.

So, do you guys have any other ideas? Do you have instruments you always carry with you? Any tips regarding learning how to play the harmonica?

Feel free to comment!

2. yingmin

yingmin Parker ├╝ber alles

There are travel-sized guitars, and things like guitaleles, that may not be QUITE as compact, but are still easily transportable and let you stay with something you already know how to play. Short of that, you could pick up a guitar-LIKE instrument, like a ukulele or mandolin. If you want to go the harmonica route but you're worried about versatility, you could get a melodica, which is chromatic and has a tone somewhat similar to a harmonica, and I would say requires less physical exertion than a harmonica. Personally, though, I would think either harmonica or melodica are too loud and piercing in tone to be played "whenever you like".

There's another angle to consider on the harmonica. I started out playing flute, and gave it up in favor of the guitar. I've also made a couple half-hearted attempts at learning harmonica, which didn't stick. A couple years ago, I bought a cheap used flute to give it another shot, and after a couple weeks of practicing, came to the realization that I just don't enjoy playing wind instruments. Have you ever played one before?

3. Skyblue

Skyblue SS.org Regular

I had this old Harmonica, I'm not even sure what kind (wasn't diatonic or chromatic) which I tried to play a bit but it wasn't really working for me. plus it was a bit uncomfortable in my hand (it was larger than a diatonic one).
    The volume issue is worrying me too- it's obviously not completely avoidable, but I wouldn't want something too loud.

Ukuleles are also an option, but my main gripe with them is also the musical versatility.
    Thanks for the comment anyway! Any other ideas guys?~

4. HeavyMetal4Ever

HeavyMetal4Ever SS.org Regular

Maybe a small keyboard/synth?

Rock on!

5. gigawhat

gigawhat All 6s and 7s

+1 on the guilele. I have a Cordoba Guilele CE that is fantastic. Sounds and plays great, and its also what I plan on using to start teaching my daughter to play once she gets the hang of the ukelele.

The Yamaha Guilele is also decent, not quite as nice feeling, but it played well enough and it only cost $100 USD so I imagine it shouldnt be too much over there either.

6. Grand Moff Tim

Grand Moff Tim Some call me... Tim

There's a wider range of music out there on Uke than you might realize. It's certainly more versatile than a harmonica, at any rate.

When I was preparing to move here to Korea, I was like you in that I wanted a nice, small, portable instrument to take along with me. Something I could fit in the overhead bin or under the seat on a plane. Since I wanted to stick with stringed instruments, I figured my best choices were a uke or a mandolin. Given that I could get a pretty decent uke for about the same price as a relatively shitty mandolin, I went with the uke, and I didn't regret it at all.

7. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

Well, your body is going with you, so if you can transport that you can transport a travel guitar. They weigh next to nothing and are very compact. Personally, I'd get what you typically play to take along. The uke is a good idea as well, because at least you can use the same techniques you do for guitar.