Instrumental Pickups SFTY3 7- and 8-string sets - seriously impressed!

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by simonXsludge, Nov 19, 2014.

1. simonXsludge

simonXsludge (((Ω)))

Hey guys.

I finally got around to try the Instrumental Pickups SFTY3 7- and 8-string pickups yesterday. I threw them into my pickup reference guitars and they completely blew me away like no other hi gain pickup I have tried so far.

When I installed them and just started to riff around, the immediate feel was just right. The SFTY3s are easily some of the most clear and articulate, yet clean sounding pickups. What does that mean? First of all, these things are brutal! Tons of midrange that cuts through the mix like a machete, extremely articulate low end with amazing string seperation and smooth high end without fizzle at the same time. You know how a lot of hot pickups sound kinda harsh and dirty in the high end? Those don't, they clean up so smoothely. The SFTY3s also sing like crazy, notes are just ringing out forever and pinch harmonics are a breeze.

Check out some clips I made with them:

SFTY3-7

[SC]https://soundcloud.com/sludgestudios/riff-i-instrumental-pickups-sfty3-7[/SC]

[SC]https://soundcloud.com/sludgestudios/riff-ii-instrumental-pickups-sfty3-7[/SC]

SFTY3-8

[SC]https://soundcloud.com/sludgestudios/riff-i-instrumental-pickups-sfty3-8[/SC]

[SC]https://soundcloud.com/sludgestudios/riff-ii-instrumental-pickups-sfty3-8[/SC]

I also added them to my 7- and 8-string shootouts:

7: https://soundcloud.com/sludgestudios/sets/7-string-pickup-shootout
    8: https://soundcloud.com/sludgestudios/sets/8-string-pickup-shootout

They also look killer:

[​IMG]

I can't recommend these pickups enough. I will have a lot of replacing to do, because I definitely wanna throw more SFTY3s into all my main guitars. Add up Instrumental Pickups on Facebook and get your hands on a pickup or two if you like what you're hearing. You won't be disappointed.

:hbang:

PS: I'm not endorsed by them, so if it sounds like I'm trying to sell a product, it's only because I'm genuinely impressed and blown away by those things. I thought I should clarify that...

2. thebunfather

thebunfather Custom Monkey

Dude!!! I've been using Instrumentals for almost 2 years now. Glad to see they're finally getting some recognition. I've been impressed with every pickup I've ever gotten from them. Those SFTY3's sound insanely good! I may have to sell off my BKP Warpig/Liquifire combo and pick up a set.

3. simonXsludge

simonXsludge (((Ω)))

I've only heard of them a few months ago and had to try them for my pickup shootout. Ethan is a super legit dude and his pickups rule. I don't think I'll ever use a different pickup for hi gain stuff again. Let's hope he's gonna get more and more recognition!

4. The Hiryuu

The Hiryuu Dot dot dot.

Those clips sound pretty cool. But I have to say his pickups LOOK awesome. Which is weird for me to comment on or care about.

5. Fretless

Fretless Knob Fiddler

After hearing those clips just a little bit ago, I sent over a message to Ethan inquiring about getting a custom pickup made for me. The dude's awesome, quick to reply, and seems like a legitimately genuine fellow. (In other words expect to see me buying one some time).

6. Orgalmer

Orgalmer Chuggasaurus Rex

I follow them on Instagram and yeah they do look amazing, glad to hear they sound the part too! I'm pretty keen on getting some for my guitars. Not sure if he does bass pickups as well but I'd be interested to see how they would turn out.

7. simonXsludge

simonXsludge (((Ω)))

I think he does. Hit him up!

8. Mike

Mike The Traveler

They do look and sound pretty awesome. My interest is piqued as I really need a new set of pickups for my DC800. Any idea what these roughly run price-wise. Info doesn't seem to be too readily available. Also does this guy only do business through facebook and instagram? Cause I don't have or do either of those things.

9. thebunfather

I'm not sure if he has another way to do business or not. However, I had a set of his pickups in my DC800 and loved them. I wouldn't hesitate!

10. simonXsludge

simonXsludge (((Ω)))

I think they are $130 a piece, but you might wanna make sure and check that with Ethan. I just recommended him to set up a BigCartel store or something along those lines. Feel free to send me your E-Mail adress in a private message and I will forward it to Ethan.

11. SilentCartographer

SilentCartographer Creator as Observer

These looks pretty killer and unique.. will check the sound files when I get off work. $130 though is a steal if they are as good as you guys say!

12. jedimindfrak82

jedimindfrak82 da man

I need to try one. I've talked to Ethan at length and he is a super knowledgeable, good guy.

13. Vulgartrendkill

Vulgartrendkill New Member

Hi there,

I've been chatting to Ethan about getting a 7 string set of these and I was wondering if anyone has clean sound clips?

Thanks

Loving the sound of your clips Mr Sludge :):hbang:

14. thebunfather

There has to be some, somewhere. Ethan might know where if you ask him. I have clean samples of some of his other pickups, but none of the SFTY3's. Hmmm.... Guess I better get a set of them, too. :idea:

15. Vulgartrendkill

Vulgartrendkill New Member

I just ordered a set for my Schecter Gryphon 7 from Ethan. I'm going to do a comparison with those and the duncan designed hb103 pups that are in there currently.

Super nice guy.

So stoked :)

16. jedimindfrak82

jedimindfrak82 da man

I'd love to know how they sound clean/clean up when you roll the volume down... I play what can basically be described as a mix between Dream Theater and Necrophagist lol But even though I play super heavy stuff I also play with different dynamics.

17. HumanFuseBen

HumanFuseBen SS.org Regular

Just got a set of the SFTY3's for 7 string! I'll be wiring them up as soon as my damn power is back on (damn Tennessee ice storm...)!

18. IChuckFinleyI

IChuckFinleyI Banned

I'm curious how they stand up to Lundgren M7s and 8s? If anyone has experience with both, I'd love to hear your opinion/s.

19. simonXsludge

simonXsludge (((Ω)))

I have clips of both in the same 27" and 29.4" 8-string versions here:

https://soundcloud.com/sludgestudios/sets/8-string-pickup-shootout

I personally like the SFTY3 a tad better than the Lundgren, but it's a close call. I just definitely prefer the "feel" of the Instrumentals and they sound a tad less sharp in the high end, which was my main gripe with the Lundgren M8s.

20. IChuckFinleyI

IChuckFinleyI Banned

Cool! Thank you!