Installing Blackouts in a Fender Strat?

sevenfoxes

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I just ordered this guitar, and am wanting to swap out the bridge pickup for some Blackouts. I intend on having a tech do the install, because this isn’t my department.

My question is how difficult would it be to install an active pickup, like Blackouts? Is there anything my tech should know about, or is it a fairly straight forward swap?

Also, would the Blackouts in the bridge effect the tone of the neck pickup at all? I’m assuming it wouldn’t, but i guess it never hurts to ask.

Thanks!

5E81F939-0D03-4AAC-958B-CC07F2D1097C.jpeg

cmpxchg

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
don't you need different pots for active vs passive? I don't think it's straightforward to mix and match if you want a passive neck/middle and an active bridge. probably better off getting all actives or all passives

wheresthefbomb

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
don't you need different pots for active vs passive? I don't think it's straightforward to mix and match if you want a passive neck/middle and an active bridge. probably better off getting all actives or all passives

Came here to say this. You "could" do it, but they require different pot values to work optimally so whatever value you go with is going to be a great match for one set and a terrible match for the other.

The good news is, it seems like there are tons of super aggressive passive pickups out there these days, so you can probably find one that will get you in the blackout ballpark. What that might be, I couldn't say.

cmpxchg

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
there are single coil sized Blackouts so you could do an HSS Blackout setup, but between switching all the pots and making everything balance, you're probably better off with a passive.

(of course, passive HSS setups have the "250k for the single coils or 500k for the bridge" conundrum unless you get a stacked pot, but you could stick with 250 and adjust later... but you're getting into finicky territory either way)

sevenfoxes

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Thanks, guys. I think i will actually go the passive route, as that seems to be the easiest option. I’m looking at the DiMarzio D Activator as it seems to be tonally close to an EMG.

My only question though is that it looks like there are two versions: a regular, and an F spaced.

Which one would fit best in the strat?

Matt08642

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Thanks, guys. I think i will actually go the passive route, as that seems to be the easiest option. I’m looking at the DiMarzio D Activator as it seems to be tonally close to an EMG.

My only question though is that it looks like there are two versions: a regular, and an F spaced.

F Spaced

cmpxchg

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
doesn't actually matter much from a sound perspective but F spaced matches the spacing and looks better.

you might consider new single coil sized pickups that work better with a 500k pot and swap them all at the same time, especially if you're having a tech do it. the bridge might feel too dark with a 250k pot and the neck/mid might be icepicks with a 500k. (this exact question is why I said "fuck it, P-Rails" in my Strat)

HeHasTheJazzHands

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Also worth noting the pickguard will have to be modded. They'll need to install another pickup screw on the left side + make the hole for the bridge pickup more square and maybe even slightly bigger.

sevenfoxes

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
IIRC the Dimarzio HS single coils are noise cancelling and were meant to work with 500k pots.
Thanks! How are the cleans on those? That’s one reason i got this guitar, was hoping to have some great cleans from the single coils, while getting some nice dirt from the humbucker.

HeHasTheJazzHands

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Thanks! How are the cleans on those? That’s one reason i got this guitar, was hoping to have some great cleans from the single coils, while getting some nice dirt from the humbucker.
Personally never tried them. Just recall them being recommended when I wanted some darker-sounding Strat pickups. Honestly if you're looking for cleans they don't seem to be the best in that regard. They're more recommended for dirt sounds (See: Yngwie).
Honestly, I wonder if it's possible to get your tech to wire it to where you have a single 500k vol for the bridge, 250k vol for the middle and neck, and a master tone?
Also for all we know, you might actually like that enhanced brightness from the 500k pots. :lol:

Hoss632

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

If you like EMG's you could always order a h/s/s loaded pickguard from EMG for strats as well.
That aside I think you'll like the strat. I've played one a few times and they feel really nice in hand for the money. I've thought about a green or blue one several times.