Inspiration vs Boring life

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by AwakenTheSkies, Jun 10, 2021.

1. wheresthefbomb

wheresthefbomb SS.org Regular

I respect the hell out of people with kids. That said, a vasectomy is the best $400 I have ever spent.

AwakenTheSkies and Demiurge like this.
  2. LostTheTone

LostTheTone Elegant Djentleman

Amen to that brother.

When I met my wife she always wanted to sit on the phone literally all night. She's a Swede too, so this went on for like... 18 months maybe?

And I don't want to say that was bad, but I did not get shit done.

Rev2010 and wheresthefbomb like this.
  3. wheresthefbomb

wheresthefbomb SS.org Regular

Interestingly, I have experienced this often, but recently I've been seeing a painter and we are both incredibly busy between work and trying to make art. It's refreshing to have such a mutual focus on independence, and I find that I appreciate the time we do spend together even moreso. It's also exciting to feel inspired by each other's creativity.

4. X1X

X1X SS.org Regular

Last two minutes of this might make you look at every Van Halen song a bit differently (and is related to this topic I think)

5. LostTheTone

Oh it's definitely just a "living apart" thing, at least for me and Emelie. She is still somewhat needy, but right now she's sitting next to me fiddling with her latest creation in photoshop to touch up it's last bits, and I work on whatever musical things I have. But when we lived a thousand miles apart, that's when she was super chatty. Understandable, honestly, although not really my thing.

Winspear likes this.
  6. Alex79

Alex79 SS.org Regular

No. The opposite is true: boredom drives creativity.
    This has been discussed and studied by academics, you can probably find plenty of academic papers on this.

7. Alex79

Alex79 SS.org Regular

8. LostTheTone

I'm not sure that's a really accurate way to phrase it.

When you are bored you are very creative at finding ways to pass the time, but almost everyone just piddles around doing meaningless crap. Being bored doesn't make you an artist, you know?

And even if it does make you get creative, you need to focus to actually use that in a meaningful way. A lot of the time bored doesn't mean literally nothing to do it means that you can't settle into something; stuff doesn't feel interesting to work on.

9. AwakenTheSkies

AwakenTheSkies SS.org Regular

I don't think that works for me. If I'm stuck in the same place doing the same things for months, I don't feel inspired or creative at all. Being in a desperate situation can force you to be creative to find a solution? Sure. I mean if you look up some stuff about prisons you can see how creative the inmates are to make weapons, hide things or just pass the time. But I don't think sitting at home comfortably eating food and watching TV or playing videogames all day will generate any creativity.

I'm not even saying that these situations I mentioned will directly inspire songs for me. I'm not going to write songs about relationships :lol: It's just that being in motion or working towards a goal makes me more creative and I get more ideas. With everything actually, not just music.

10. Quiet Coil

Quiet Coil Only obsesses over guitars when not playing them.

Man I miss being bored.

Demiurge, Leviathus and Lorcan Ward like this.
  11. GunpointMetal

GunpointMetal SS.org Regular

This is one of those things though were they find a correlation that applies to a majority, but that still doesn't mean that's how it works for everyone.
    Put yourself in motion if that what it takes. Literally and figuratively. Go outside, go ride your bike 50 miles, go walk your neighborhood with no schedule, visit a new natural nearby if you can. Give yourself a fitness goal, or a reading goal, or find some multi-track files online and work on mixing (or one particular area of mixing). Force yourself to learn a style of music you don't even listen to. There's all kinds of ways to put goals in front of yourself if you need a little kick in the pants to get things going.

AwakenTheSkies likes this.
  12. CovertSovietBear

CovertSovietBear SS.org Regular

Yeah this happens to me as well. Even when I do have the time to practice if I'm not inspired it gets boring after a few minutes. Like budda said, I just hope I utilize/maximize inspiration when it does hit me.

13. odibrom

odibrom .

... perto de onde a terra acaba e o mar começa...
    ... when that hits me, I do exercises and experiment with them. It unblocks the soul because when one is exercising, one has to focus deeply into its objectives and that is a mind clearer, so it freshens up creativity...

14. KailM

KailM SS.org Regular

I need things to be boring to get creative.

This past 16 months has been anything but boring. More like insane.

Full time teaching job. Grad school at the same time. Wife and two kids. I’m lucky to pick up my guitar twice a week, and really it’s only been to keep my skills somewhat sharp.

Ive been sitting on some songs for quite some time. Maybe this summer I’ll get started on an album...