Insomnium - Winter's Gate

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by Tech Wrath, Oct 7, 2016.

1. Tech Wrath

Tech Wrath SS.org Regular

Personally I'm not a big melodeath fan and I think it's very cheesy a lot of the time but wow!
    This album/composition (40 min 1 track story) really blew me away. The story is so immersive and so well put together and the music reflects it unbelievably. Instead of trying to describe it, I'd suggest a listen. But first I'd also suggest watching the first and maybe even the second album trailer where they explain the reasoning and concept behind the album and how it was put together. :wavey:

Anyway. Anyone else listen? Thoughts?
    I was honestly grabbed in and captivated throughout the whole thing and even after a few listens I'm still taking apart the album. There's so much emotion and drive into it following the tale and I think it takes the cake over Terminal Redux for Album of the year so far. :metal::yesway:

Edit: Here are the links for the trailers in order if you want to watch them. (Again, I suggest at least the 1st/2nd)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXglsFRVPes
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0et8TiMxPKY
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUgZi24p4yY
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1o9SkI0Tq2I

2. Metropolis

Metropolis SS.org Regular

Winter's Gate is a masterpiece, and I'm gonna see them today @ Circus, Helsinki with Swallow The Sun :hbang: My first time to see Insomnium live.

3. Tech Wrath

Damn I had the chance a few years ago but this was when I was relatively new to the genre and wasn't sure. Definitely regret it now. :wallbash:

Hope they come to the US sometime next year :bowdown:

4. chassless

chassless Don'tDeserveMyGuitar

i'm really happy these guys are experimenting with a more prog approach. i've been waiting for that for years now.

5. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger

Listened to the first 20 mins, sounds great!

6. chassless

^ the first 20 mins make up half of the entire record, which brings to light my only complaint about it: it's a bit short :/

7. Tech Wrath

Definitely agree although the people who have a hard time listening to long compositions or anything for an extended period of time would be more reluctant to listen through all the way and give it a proper rating as well.

I'm honestly surprised not many people heard of the album or Insomnium.
    :scratch:
    I don't listen to a lot of melodeath besides a few exceptions but I thought Insomnium were pretty popular within the sub-genre.

Also, those lurking! Go listen, doubt you'd be disappointed!

8. RUSH_Of_Excitement

RUSH_Of_Excitement SS.org Regular

Just listened to it for the first time, wasn't the biggest fan of their Shadows of the Dying Sun but this one blew me away. It really did a great job of creating it's own world and invites the listener to inhabit it, it's a lot to take in but it's all breathtaking. I'm actually glad it's on the shorter side, it doesn't over stay it's welcome and quits while it's way ahead

9. AlexCorriveau

AlexCorriveau SS.org Regular

Insomnium are actually a huge inspiration for me. Sometimes I find they drag on some melodies for too long, but they write some of the most kickass melodeath I've ever heard. The project I'm working on is basically a dirtier Insomnium. I have yet to hear Winter's Gate as the idea of a 40min song kinda turned me off but judging the previews, I shouldn't wait more.

10. chassless

^ don't worry, they deliver. The idea might put you off but they pulled it off. I'm interested in your project, can you tell us more about that?

11. AlexCorriveau

AlexCorriveau SS.org Regular

My old melodic death metal band that I'm rebuilding on my own. We were young when we started, but I think we were going somewhere. Think of a mix of The Agonist, Insomnium, Amon Amarth with fast parts ala Black Daliah Murder. So far, I have 6 songs + 1 intro that are ready, there's maybe 2 more songs I need to write. I'm in negociation with someone for the recording and mixing. It should start during december. I'll sure post something when it's ready!

12. chassless

awesome!

13. mgh

mgh Betwixt and Between

Alongside Dark Tranquillity, possibly the most consistent band ever. No bad albums, and they should be so much better known. I think cos they're not the fastest, or loudest, or most controversial or were around in '92, they get overlooked but the music is amazing.