Insane headless Xiphos/Warrior 7 string monstrosity

Discussion in 'Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations' started by Winspear, May 31, 2017.

1. Winspear

Winspear Tom Winspear

This is going to be a fun one. Finally getting the funds (and time) together to finalize this design and begin this abomination that will mark the first of a trilogy of similar builds for myself.
    This one is the 'Supersonic';

1.jpg
    The Technology4Musicians fanned headless tremolo.
    2.jpg

I am very impressed with its design and quality. Should behave just like a nice Floyd.

That chrome and white has to go though ;)

3.jpg
    New washers made

And gold parts. That's better !
    4.jpg

There are going to be lots of awesome features on this build but the bulk of it;
    Shortscale 6+1 treble string setup.
    Mostly non-wooden. Swamp ash back is all. Maaaybe some maple laminates in the neck.
    Cycfi full range/modelling pickup system.
    Cycfi multichannel pickup to multipin output for single string processing.
    Black and gold.
    LED markers.
    Numerous custom metal parts.
    Magnetic switchout Regular/Scalloped/Fretless/Microtonal conversion fretboards.
    More black and gold.
    Much technical death metal :deathm:

This WILL be a slow one but I figured I'd start posting up!

2. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire L'enfant sausage

ooooh, this sounds cool. I'm very interested to see how this turns out.
    Also +1 for T4M, they make great tuners.

Winspear likes this.
  3. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger

This is going to be awesome!!!!

Winspear likes this.
  4. Grand Rabbit

Grand Rabbit SS.org Regular

Just chiming in, will be monitoring this thread - looks like an adventurous build :D

Winspear likes this.
  5. odibrom

odibrom .

... perto de onde a terra acaba e o mar começa...
    Please elaborate, multiple swap-able fretboards, is that it? interesting... wouldn't it be better to secure them with bolts as a bolt on neck?

6. Winspear

Winspear Tom Winspear

Maybe! We'll see. There is prototyping to do in many areas of this. The idea isn't new, I've seen it done a few times in the classical guitar community. If I need to bolt it down I will, but I don't forsee a problem

Edika likes this.
  7. Edika

Edika SS.org Regular

^An interesting project with a really cool idea using the multiple fretboard configuration!
    "Oh I'm feeling like a pale moon ebony fretboard today" snap off, snap on presto!

Bunkatronic and Winspear like this.
  8. odibrom

odibrom .

I'd use that argument to build more guitars...

For a quick snap on and off, you'll need to design a strong joint with several attaching points. The neck tension on a classical is way less than on an electric one. Please keep us posted.

9. ThePhilosopher

ThePhilosopher Reason User

This is definitely an interesting build. Is one of your builds a 9 string for m3 tuning?

10. Winspear

Winspear Tom Winspear

Indeed. It occured to me the neck relief could be a problem for magnetic hold down. The initial test and hopefully successful will be a Vigier style flat neck with no truss rod and no bow under tension, so a flat fretboard has no problem clamping on. You're right with any relief I'm sure you'd need an insane magnetic force to pull the middle down! I'm not overly opposed to bolts if necessary, but the flat neck should work out.

Yup, a true monster ;)

odibrom and ThePhilosopher like this.
  11. odibrom

odibrom .

In your posted video, one can hear a "click" when he finishes the board swap. It makes me think that there is some sort of click kind of joint, but for that classical guitar, maybe 2 points are enough to hold the board down. I guess it could be a matter of "adding" more of these, like one per 3 frets...

Winspear likes this.
  12. turenkodenis

turenkodenis SS.org Regular

Very cool design of the shape!

Winspear likes this.
  13. Pikka Bird

Pikka Bird Vaya Con Cornholio

This is a very delicious design, I was always very fond of the Warrior... There's one thing that's sticking in my eye a little though- the top horn (the one pointing towards the neck, not the huge wing) is the only one that seems to grow a little thicker towards the point. I know it doesn't but the bevels give that illusion, but I might be the only one. Overall I still like it loads more than the Xiphos and a bit more than the Warrior.

Winspear likes this.
  14. ixlramp

ixlramp SS.org Regular

Wow ... you have great taste.

The 'click' in the video is just pushing the fretboard up against the nut, there is a lot of friction so it suddenly moves and hits the nut. Others use strong magnets for this method on an electric with no problems. The board will be flexible so magnets near the board middle should hold it down in a curved shape (hopefully).
    Do consult with Mr. Sword.

odibrom and Winspear like this.
  15. Winspear

Winspear Tom Winspear

Thanks guys! I see about the horn yes, the bevels are only a sketch right now so open for change, maybe I could bring that corner in a little tighter on the outline too.
    I was definitely intending contacting Ron Sword on this indeed - that would be ideal if magnets could achieve the flexion if the neck is not entirely straight.
    Joel @ Cycfi has been very helpful and has all the electronics back in stock now. As soon as I have those in my hands I'll be testing routes and such to begin the body !

16. odibrom

odibrom .

Won't the extra magnetic field interfere with the strings vibration? I've seen guitars wake up after some pickup adjustment backing them off of the strings... This is an honest question, BTW...

... and I'd still use the argument to... build more guitars :)

17. Edika

Edika SS.org Regular

This is maybe something to think about. It won't mess with the pickups much, maybe the magnet closest to the neck pickup and that depends on the strength of the magnet.
    But having strong enough magnets along the fretboard will interfere with the vibration of the strings. In a classical guitar wit nylon strings and acoustic resonance from the guitar that's not an issue.

It might not be a problem but it's something to have in mind.

Having too many strong magnets holding the fretboard in place will also make it quite difficult to remove and attach fretboards and they will certainly start to have an effect on strings.

XPT707FX and odibrom like this.
  18. LiveOVErdrive

LiveOVErdrive CNC hack

I think you can get away with weaker magnets of you key the backsides of the fretboards and top of the neck to mate with each other. That way it can't slide around side to side and the magnets only have to be strong enough to keep it from falling off the keying. Plus if there are magnets on both the neck and fretboard, they can be pretty weak and still stick together strongly when they touch. Then the magnets probably won't mess with the strings. Maybe. Who knows.

I'd still be worried about the fretboard following any neck bow without being stuck down hard. But I suppose if you keep the neck perfectly flat it won't be a problem. Might consider using a square steel tube as a non-adjustable truss rod instead of a traditional adjustable one. Or not. I'm no expert.

19. odibrom

odibrom .

Hey, don't get me wrong, I'm up for all these ideas tech wise. Any thing that may push one's expression forward is well come, may it be this or another pedal in the rig. I raised these question so I could understand a little more how you guys ara planing this...

And something that has passed by, but is also worthy to be asked...

...errr what? Elaboration please.... pretty pretty please...

As far as I remember, these were some new pickups that could be used for MIDI triggering... Is this already available? Links, "how to"s and all that jazz.... :yum:

... and I stick with my argument: build more guitars!...

aesthyrian and Winspear like this.
  20. MikeNeal

MikeNeal SS.org Regular

Maybe do a small dovetail style joint. So the fretboards have to be slid onto the neck from the bottom. The joint would be strong enough to hold it. No magnets needed

Winspear and odibrom like this.