Input on an explorer/destroyer build...possible fanned fret

KnightBrolaire

OnlyPointies™
Reaction score
hmm really think I'll get the limba one. As much as I love the tiger stripe one, the limba is still my favorite.

Guitarist_Dad

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Awesome!

I just filled out the form on your website for a white Exploder 6 string baritone: 27.5" scale with a set of Duncan Black Winters.

Thanks!!!

Sure, I can do that! My standard straight 8 strings are 27.5", I can just slot a sixer on the same template.

KnightroExpress

Guitar Nerd
Vendor
Reaction score
hmm really think I'll get the limba one. As much as I love the tiger stripe one, the limba is still my favorite.
Aw come on, if you don't tiger it up, who will? Think about it... pearl orange and pearl black....stripes....I'll even throw some Aquanet in the case lol

i love the white one. would be especially interesting in 7 string. but i would want the toggle over by the other controls to go for that 84 Gibson Explorer look that Hetfield had goin. so badass
Plans for the Exploder 7 (straight and multiscale) are done, just haven't finished the models yet.

My fave so far. Although personally I would make the headstock match the body, and I prefer the tuners all in a line :shrug: but I think it looks fantastic either way.:hbang:
Thank you!

Awesome!

I just filled out the form on your website for a white Exploder 6 string baritone: 27.5" scale with a set of Duncan Black Winters.

Thanks!!!
Awesome, email received and replied to. Thank you!

M3CHK1LLA

angel sword guardian
Reaction score
Oh, and M3CHK1LLA, don't think I've forgotten you! I have to custom make a few textures (abal. e, burnt chrome) and I'm waiting to hear back from BKP on the availability of covers for slanted pickups.

no worries man, im enjoying all the ideas everyone's coming up with. im thinking i'll settle on something once i flip a coin :lol:

i started this thread to get peoples thoughts on this shape, and seems like others are also interested. i don't mean to put you on the spot, but if enough of us were interested, how many would it take for there to be a "run discount"

i know its a new design, so if you can't, that's fine, i understand.

KnightroExpress

Guitar Nerd
Vendor
Reaction score
The only reason I hesitate to offer a run: I'm well aware of the long history of small builders promising a lot and delivering heartbreak to the people of SSO. I know that I'm reliable and able to meet a deadline that I set (not unreasonably, hype-buildingly fast), but I also know that you guys have nothing but my word to go by at this point. It's just me in my shop, so I won't be announcing any large/complex runs...I'm just not interested in having the potential to let you down.

That said, if we can lock down a small number (3-5) of people interested in the same model with similar specs, I'd be happy to offer a group discount.

M3CHK1LLA

angel sword guardian
Reaction score
The only reason I hesitate to offer a run: I'm well aware of the long history of small builders promising a lot and delivering heartbreak to the people of SSO. I know that I'm reliable and able to meet a deadline that I set (not unreasonably, hype-buildingly fast), but I also know that you guys have nothing but my word to go by at this point. It's just me in my shop, so I won't be announcing any large/complex runs...I'm just not interested in having the potential to let you down.

That said, if we can lock down a small number (3-5) of people interested in the same model with similar specs, I'd be happy to offer a group discount.

fair enough...good to know you are aware of whats happened here and that you don't want to over-extend yourself. for every bad run, there have been several goods ones from various builders here.

ive watched your build threads for a couple years now and see that you do great work and have some really good designs. ive been wanting to get a custom made guitar built for the last few years, but because of the horror stories ive held off.

i'm willing to give small luthiers a shot, but also i was wanting to keep it in the usa and not worry about traveling to another country if things went south :lol:

so, when you get a chance, i would like to see a couple more things. i promise i'm not wasting your time either, and thanks for your renders you've done.

KnightroExpress

Guitar Nerd
Vendor
Reaction score
I'm glad you understand where I'm coming from, and I appreciate the kind words! I fully intend to be around for a long time to come, and establishing reliability is critical to that goal.

Also, I really enjoy doing these renders- translating your requests into (virtual) reality is a lot of fun and I'll happily do it as long as anyone wants one.

So....what would you like to see next?

M3CHK1LLA

angel sword guardian
Reaction score
6 string fan fret
sea foam top / dark mahogany back & sides / abalone binding.
reverse matching headstock w/abalone binding
pups slanted....bare knuckle (burnt chrome) or nail bomb etch
chrome hardware & bridge
maple neck flamed
abalone piranha tooth fret markers
pick guard - pearloid..would kinda match the abalone.
show with and without pick guard please
abalone knobs

KnightroExpress

Guitar Nerd
Vendor
Reaction score
Currently working on a custom abalone texture and re(re-re-re) drawing a pickguard. Unfortunately, BKP can't do covers on angled pickups so that's a bummer. Everything else is almost ready to go.

MoonJelly

a subtle stinging sensation..
Reaction score
I'll just leave this here. I recently had a conversation with Knightro, just before this thread Explodered. Maple, ash, walnut top?

Exploder%20MS6%20AW%202_zpspexiuygx.png~original

jwade

Doooooooooom
Reaction score
That is frigging gorgeous. I feel like that with chrome pickup covers would be amazing.

KnightroExpress

Guitar Nerd
Vendor
Reaction score
Ahh you're too kind, guys! I'm really excited to get a few of these built.

@M3CHK1LLA- only thing missing is the pickguard. I still haven't drawn one I like yet, I'll post an update when I do.

M3CHK1LLA

angel sword guardian
Reaction score
^ that looks pretty cool too.

kinda torn on whether or not to go just simple black binding or go with a that abalone since its a custom just to make it a little nicer. i found this image, and if i did go with the abalone, i would like it to be more like this on top but with black binding on the side instead of white...

IMG_6979_480x480.JPG

also, found these...

514iJIUdz1L._SX355_.jpg

guitar-parts-metal-dome-knobs-knurled-barrel-abalone-top-set-of-2-black_1607902.JPG

hairychris

Hairy Old Bloke
Reaction score
Cool, but one thing to think about wrt fan frets is that they don't work quite as well if you're the type of guitarist that slings their guitar around their knees (your arms at the wrong angle)!

Still, I miss the CS Kelly that I had for a while!

KnightroExpress

Guitar Nerd
Vendor
Reaction score
^ that looks pretty cool too.
kinda torn on whether or not to go just simple black binding or go with a that abalone since its a custom just to make it a little nicer. i found this image, and if i did go with the abalone, i would like it to be more like this on top but with black binding on the side instead of white...
Well, if you want my opinion, I think simple black is the way to go. The abalone is just a bit too over the top (for my taste) when paired with surf green or Tiffany. It goes without saying though- your choice is the only one that matters.

Cool, but one thing to think about wrt fan frets is that they don't work quite as well if you're the type of guitarist that slings their guitar around their knees (your arms at the wrong angle)!
True enough! I'm happy to do these in either straight or multiscale, no worries.

As a side note, the 7 string variant is all modeled and ready to go.

M3CHK1LLA

angel sword guardian
Reaction score
Well, if you want my opinion, I think simple black is the way to go. The abalone is just a bit too over the top (for my taste) when paired with surf green or Tiffany. It goes without saying though- your choice is the only one that matters.

True enough! I'm happy to do these in either straight or multiscale, no worries.

As a side note, the 7 string variant is all modeled and ready to go.

[/UR]

what is the dark wood in this pic?