Input on an explorer/destroyer build...possible fanned fret

JumpingInFire

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I've been meaning to ask here- what do you think of the switch position? I feel that the treble horn switch is an Explorer/Destroyer style must-have, but if people prefer a more condensed control layout, it can be dropped.

As a long-time Explorer player, I never really considered a different switch position.

I would prefer to have it between the volume and tone knob, or in place of the tone knob for my taste.

I like the idea of not having a massive channel routed out of the wood.

M3CHK1LLA

angel sword guardian
Reaction score
i actually like the switch on the horn myself...that is the way my destroyer II is set up.

of course it is different on hetfields gibson from back-in-the-day. ive decided im not going with the white/black binding because i will eventually get a white gibson or esp

12f5aef7ef79c769a3a3193b62361461.jpg

Dabo Fett

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Wow that surf green with the natural back, hot damn man that's sweet

Now I think I got to go pick up my destroyer again after reading this thread

KnightroExpress

Guitar Nerd
Vendor
Reaction score
@M3CHK1LLA- New model is done with angled pickups, headstock binding, and adjusted control locations. I used BKP's 10 degree pickups as the base for these. I'm interested to see what other color combos you come up with!

@KnightBrolaire- Here's the 8 with a limba top:

KnightBrolaire

OnlyPointies™
Reaction score
@M3CHK1LLA- New model is done with angled pickups, headstock binding, and adjusted control locations. I used BKP's 10 degree pickups as the base for these. I'm interested to see what other color combos you come up with!

@KnightBrolaire- Here's the 8 with a limba top:

24n08lv.jpg

KR250

Build addict
Reaction score
Just a hint to think of:

In my opinion the volume knob shouldn't be placed parallel to the bridge, because I have this on my Mayones and it is in the way, when palm muting ... I have long fingers. Therefore I would place it 2cm further back, nearer to the tone knob.

I don't know, what is the origin of this very common design flaw, because palm muting is a very common technique, especially in Metal.

This x 10! This is the very reason I got frustrated with my ESP EII and started building custom in the first place. The Schecter KM7 is about the only guitar that gets this.

To the OP, definitely build a template and play around with comfortable knob/switch placement. This was the biggest advantage over a production guitar for me.

Oh yeah, the black limba is my favorite design so far :)

neun Arme

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
You got it! I'll have to start a fresh model to incorporate the HS binding and angled pickups, but I want to at least post a few renders with the color combo requested.

Tiffany blue, dark mahogany, black binding/hardware:

I've been meaning to ask here- what do you think of the switch position? I feel that the treble horn switch is an Explorer/Destroyer style must-have, but if people prefer a more condensed control layout, it can be dropped.
I think I would do this one but with white binding and a kind of candy pink instead of the green, even though I really like that green colour.

KnightBrolaire

OnlyPointies™
Reaction score
would you mind making a george lynch tiger stripe style with black binding ? I think that could be pretty cool.

KnightroExpress

Guitar Nerd
Vendor
Reaction score
So instead of the actual Lynch pattern, I found a pretty cool tiger stripe stencil and worked up a top texture from that. Please order this so I can irritate my paint guy :lol:

M3CHK1LLA

angel sword guardian
Reaction score
^ that is super crazy! :lol:

ive only got a couple more ideas left i'd like to try

6 string fan fret
sea foam top / dark mahogany back & sides / abalone binding
reverse matching headstock w/abalone binding
pups slanted....bare knuckle (burnt chrome) or nail bomb etch
chrome hardware & bridge
maple neck...not sure if flamed or birdseye yet
abalone piranha tooth fret markers?

not sure if you could do a pick guard or not, but i was thinking a pearloid...something that would kinda match the abalone.

show with and without pick guard please

also do they make abalone knobs?

Aymara

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I think a black and white tiger pattern would look much cooler.

Guitarist_Dad

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Any chance of doing a 6 string Jumbo Baritone Modern Explorer look for those of us that are much taller than normal and have larger than average hands?
I'm thinking 27.5" or 28" inch scale, body 10% larger than a standard Explorer type to match the scale length, and 24 frets.

Gibson made a Baritone Explorer in 2011/2012: I've been looking for a used one for over a year with no luck. Since nobody's willing to sell their Gibson, there might be a good size market for a guitar with similar specs.

I would prefer a non-fan fret neck, but I could probably adapt to a 27.5/25.5 neck if that was the longest scale 6 string you could offer.

I apologize if I'm way off on a tangent from what you're planning to do!

KnightroExpress

Guitar Nerd
Vendor
Reaction score
I had more this colour in mind.
Ahh, more of a hot pink. I think I got a fairly close match here...also tried chrome and white vs black hardware/binding.

I think a black and white tiger pattern would look much cooler.
Sure, I like this one too.

Any chance of doing a 6 string Jumbo Baritone Modern Explorer look for those of us that are much taller than normal and have larger than average hands?
I'm thinking 27.5" or 28" inch scale, body 10% larger than a standard Explorer type to match the scale length, and 24 frets.
Sure, I can do that! My standard straight 8 strings are 27.5", I can just slot a sixer on the same template.

Oh, and M3CHK1LLA, don't think I've forgotten you! I have to custom make a few textures (abalone, burnt chrome) and I'm waiting to hear back from BKP on the availability of covers for slanted pickups.

HUGH JAYNUS

I’m a grown ass man
Reaction score
i love the white one. would be especially interesting in 7 string. but i would want the toggle over by the other controls to go for that 84 Gibson Explorer look that Hetfield had goin. so badass