Inlays Sticking Out Of Les Paul Fretboard

Discussion in 'Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations' started by BLD, Mar 26, 2020 at 11:41 PM.

1. BLD

BLD Bleeding The Weak

I took my LP out today and noticed that the 3rd fret inlay is sticking out a bit. It’s a 2013 Gibson Trad Pro II I bought new, and is a great guitar for an LP. I haven’t played it since I bought my Kiesel over a year ago and it has been in it’s case the whole time. What would cause this? Everything else seems fine, but I noticed some of the other inlays do have some minor shift as well. None of them are loose, and I can’t see any twist in the neck. Neck binding also looks good still.

I moved almost a year ago to a more humid environment if that would have anything to do with it. While I use my Kiesel for everything now, I needed the Alnico pups for a specific lead tone on a new song. Bummed to see that something is shifting. Not sure what, or what is the best way to manage or correct it. 027A3E42-F692-43D0-B570-973BB48722E6.jpeg

2. High Plains Drifter

High Plains Drifter SS.org Regular

3. tedtan

tedtan SS.org Regular

Yeah, Gibson often doesn't glue the inlays in, they are frequently just press fit, so most of the time you can just add glue, press it back down and clamp to solve the issue.

4. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

If mine were literally falling out, i would use it as an opportunity to replace them all with some shiny new ones.
    Maybe gluing the replacements in so they dont pop again.

Jusy my 2cents

5. BLD

BLD Bleeding The Weak

Thanks guys, right now they don’t move when I press on them. We’re getting into our very long, warm and humid season already. I’ll keep an eye on them and maybe in the winter when it cools down and dries out a bit they’ll be easy to fix.

6. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

Is there a structural reason they wouldn’t use a dab of glue? Or is it “just” a labor/cost saving measure. Seems crazy to go through the effort of cutting clean-fitting inlays time then not ensure they stay snug.

cwhitey2 likes this.
  7. Señor Voorhees

Señor Voorhees SS.org Regular

That seems weird that they wouldn't glue them. I seem to recall a gibson factory tour where they were slathering them in glue before pressing them in. It seems like a simple enough fix, though a shame that it's happening at all. Definitely probably related to the swelling of the wood or something, but I've not seen it happen personally, even on the half dozen or so Gibsons I've owned.

Is it possible you missed it being like that from the factory? I wouldn't worry too much so long as it doesn't interfere with your playing/get worse. I'd definitely try to glue/press it back in once it dries out a bit, though.

8. BLD

BLD Bleeding The Weak

Nope, it was flawless when I bought it. I spent over an hour inspecting and playing it. I have countless hours on this guitar and go over it every time I restring it. It definitely happened within the last year. I guess that’s what I get for leaving in its case... They used to hang on my wall out of reach of my kids at my last place, but not enough room here for that.

9. Señor Voorhees

Señor Voorhees SS.org Regular

Rough. Chances are it would've turned out the same no matter what. Unless it was in a basement or something, cases are typically the safest place to keep them. Good luck with it, and hopefully you can prevent it from getting worse. On the plus side, this means they didn't cut it to some dumb thickness that it making it stick out. Still bad QC, imo, but it could be MUCH worse.

10. BLD

BLD Bleeding The Weak

You’re probably right but it’s an old joke between my family and I. If you’ve ever named or spoken to your vehicles, motorcycles or guitars you’ll get the humor. I think they get mad being locked up and not being enjoyed or used.

c7spheres likes this.
  11. aesthyrian

aesthyrian SS.org Regular

hahahah what? What a joke.. even for Gibson.

12. tedtan

tedtan SS.org Regular

I remember Gibson advertising that they cut the inlays so tightly that they just pressed them in without glue. I would assume the real reason is cost savings in some way, but I I’m not sure how.

Having said that, Gibson is anything but consistent, so they may be flying the inlays in again at this point.

13. Adieu

Adieu SS.org Regular

It MIGHT be because of the history of some of the middle-aged Gibson guitars (i wanna say 70s and 80s but don't quote me) having those weird inlays that degrade into an awful awful trainwreck of a look as they age?

Ppl speculated it had something to do with glue expanding and cracking the finish or something