Indo Archon 50-watt

BadSeed

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Would love to order one of these bad boys and check it out on my Youtube channel, but I also don't want to take a loss on resale. HHHMMMMM

Mourguitars

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Glad you guys are digging the amp! I know the amp team worked very hard to get this amplifier where it is today. It's super versatile if you ask me. I was surprised by the tones I was able to get out of it in demo'd and also just playing at home or rehearsal with it. :yesway:

I personally think y'all done a great job on that amp...i liked the way its laid out inside , looks easily serviceable and very clean build inside...Sounds awesome

Tonight im going to try it with my 2x12 with V30/G12H speaker combo

The loop is picky but other than that...fine amp ! It shines when cranked but great at bedroom volumes

Mike

HeHasTheJazzHands

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Kinda cool bump; Apparently Ben Eller has been test driving the import Archon 50 on his videos for a few months now.

192738443_4077574845666762_2559076708105404415_n.jpg

Azarea

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
After a few weeks delaying the inevitable, I ordered one from Thomann for 1100€ which should be here in 2-3 weeks. I'll report back when then!

sevenfoxes

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I personally think y'all done a great job on that amp...i liked the way its laid out inside , looks easily serviceable and very clean build inside...Sounds awesome

Tonight im going to try it with my 2x12 with V30/G12H speaker combo

The loop is picky but other than that...fine amp ! It shines when cranked but great at bedroom volumes

Mike
Try putting a 12au7 in the loop (i think it’s the phase inverter as well). That really does the trick for both the Archon (revision), and the MT15.

Apex1rg7x

Agent of Chaos
Reaction score
I got my new Archon 50 head today and spent maybe 10 minutes with it. My first impressions were kinda meh compared to the 100 watt I previously owned. I need to spend some more time with it obviously, so I wont say too much until I can do that.

cardinal

F# Dive Bomber
Reaction score
I got my new Archon 50 head today and spent maybe 10 minutes with it. My first impressions were kinda meh compared to the 100 watt I previously owned. I need to spend some more time with it obviously, so I wont say too much until I can do that.

That's a bummer. The 100-watt Archon I had was an immediate ripper. It kinda sounded the same no matter where the controls were pointed but it didn't matter since it was a good sound.

youngthrasher9

Ur Mom Is Too Much Gain
Reaction score
This one is pretty high on my list of contenders for a second amp if I ever decide to pick one up. I may go with a MT15 and have the loop and master volume modded instead tho because the voicing is said to be slightly 5150ish

Apex1rg7x

Agent of Chaos
Reaction score
That's a bummer. The 100-watt Archon I had was an immediate ripper. It kinda sounded the same no matter where the controls were pointed but it didn't matter since it was a good sound.
Yeah I feel like this one lacks the punch and oomph of the 100.

Dineley

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I love the price point of this however my Helix has great Archon models of both channels and 50 watt 5153 has MIDI so I would still likely go with that. But overall seems like it will be a good product for some

Azarea

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Yeah the 50W 5153 is more feature-packed and would have been my first choice, but I already own one. I hope the Archon covers some different ground as I'll likely run both at the same time.

sevenfoxes

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Yeah the 50W 5153 is more feature-packed and would have been my first choice, but I already own one. I hope the Archon covers some different ground as I'll likely run both at the same time.
Can’t speak for this new one, but the Archon amps (including the MT15) have a completely different gain structure than the EVH amps, as they have a thicker and fatter tone. Zero overlap.

Azarea

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Good to hear, I hoped to have a combination close to a 5150/recto pair without having to fork an organ for an actual Mesa amp... Just European things I guess

Azarea

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
So it looks like PRS is having trouble getting those out of the door.

Thomann were initially supposed to receive a batch of amps the last week of July, I got an email that same week saying the expected fulfillment of my order was pushed back to August 30th... For the past few days it was at "in stock in 2-5 days" and it just went back up to "4 to 5 weeks" today, same as it did last time.
Andertons is also now showing September 20th for the release.

I don't mind waiting that much but being disappointed twice that close to the communicated shipping date is a bit of a rollercoaster.
Thomann is obviously not at fault there, they don't have any more information than what PRS is giving them. I think communication from PRS could be A LOT better than letting the day of the delivery pass then going "well, see you next month"... Someone somewhere has to know they were never going to make it in time if there's already been 2 months of delay - and I can't say I'd be surprised if there was more to come next time.

Guitarjon

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Got mine a couple days ago. Looks like I snatched the last one Thomann had in stock. Really dig how it sounds! Very silent amp with a low amount of noise, which is great!

Clean channel sounds nice! Very clean but nice. Love the bright switch options. Lead channel sounds nice and thick. Not too loose, not too tight. I enjoy the "give" that the distortion character has, that slight looseness that makes it sound and feel a bit fatter. Cool amp for sure!

Gmork

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Though im really GASing for an orange rockerverb (id be paying that off forever 🥵)
Im really thinking of getting either the archon or the peavey iconic. Ive already ownes various 5150s and ive always been super interested in an archon so im leaning towards that.

HeHasTheJazzHands

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Got mine a couple days ago. Looks like I snatched the last one Thomann had in stock. Really dig how it sounds! Very silent amp with a low amount of noise, which is great!

Clean channel sounds nice! Very clean but nice. Love the bright switch options. Lead channel sounds nice and thick. Not too loose, not too tight. I enjoy the "give" that the distortion character has, that slight looseness that makes it sound and feel a bit fatter. Cool amp for sure!
Did you try the FX Loop? Noisy FX loops plagued a lot of PRS amps.

Azarea

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I find the new Archon very dark. Like, wondering why anyone in their right mind would turn the bright switches off dark. Seeing you praise the inclusion of the bright switches makes me wonder if mine is defective... time to at least check biasing.
It's far from unusable, but I found a somewhat balanced tone (without boosting) to be found with highs and presence at about 3 o'clock, bright on, bass and depth around 9, mids and gain to taste (around 12 usually). All at 12 o'clock was fairly disappointing, which is unusual for me (I know rectos are finicky and marks work just differently, but it's neither of those). It might be a "boost it and forget it" situation as well...
I'm curious to hear your thoughts @Guitarjon !

Mourguitars

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Did you try the FX Loop? Noisy FX loops plagued a lot of PRS amps.

Very True !

I run my old Archon50 with the PS2 loop and ill say this again really brought that amp to life

Its a shame they didnt get this amp right the 1st time around...but what a awesome sounding amp and ill never get rid of mine

Mike

Guitarjon

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I find the new Archon very dark. Like, wondering why anyone in their right mind would turn the bright switches off dark. Seeing you praise the inclusion of the bright switches makes me wonder if mine is defective... time to at least check biasing.
It's far from unusable, but I found a somewhat balanced tone (without boosting) to be found with highs and presence at about 3 o'clock, bright on, bass and depth around 9, mids and gain to taste (around 12 usually). All at 12 o'clock was fairly disappointing, which is unusual for me (I know rectos are finicky and marks work just differently, but it's neither of those). It might be a "boost it and forget it" situation as well...
I'm curious to hear your thoughts @Guitarjon !

I will post my review soon, I'll be trying it with 6 different guitars. I will say that I really really like how the amp sounds. I don't find it very dark, just thick and fat in the mids. It's not hard to make it sound a bit brighter with the treble and presence controls. But it's definitely a unique amp in comparison to all my others. It just has a very fat and thick mid-range "roar". Kinda Bogner-like I guess although I haven't played a real Bogner in years.