Individual switchable phantom power?

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by yingmin, Nov 3, 2015.

1. yingmin

yingmin Parker über alles

I have a MOTU 24ai interface, which has 3x DB25 inputs for a total of 24 analog inputs. My idea was to build a box of Neutrik combo jacks, which would be wired to Planet Waves connector-free modular snake breakout cables in groups of 8. It turns out that the 24ai's analog inputs don't transmit phantom power, which I would certainly like to have available. Can anyone give me some guidance on how to wire each channel (or, if worse comes to worst, even groups of four) to have switchable phantom power?

I already have 24 channels into the 24ai through ADAT, and I'm unlikely even to use all of those in the near future, but why not have all 48 channels usable? Having any number of available inputs that is less than the absolute maximum I can have would just be un-American, ESPECIALLY if I'm not going to use them all.

2. tedtan

tedtan SS.org Regular

You can get individual phantom power supply modules for each channel or you could just build a supply that would allow for powering multiple channels at once. But how often would you really use that many channels with phantom power? You'd normally use quite a few dynamic (and possibly ribbon) mics and some DI's in mic'ing up a live band, none of which require phantom. So you're probably fine with 24 channels with phantom for your condensers and the rest for dynamic/ribbon/DI inputs.

3. yingmin

yingmin Parker über alles

I'm perfectly aware that I don't NEED another 24 channels of phantom power. As I said, I probably don't need 24 more channels of input at all. I may not even really need all 24 of the channels I already have. This isn't about what I need, or what's sensible. It's something I want to do just because it can be done.