Increasing wireless distance?

Discussion in 'Computers, Electronics, IT & Gaming' started by Auyard, Jul 19, 2009.

1. Auyard

Auyard SS.org Regular

I have the Linksys Wireless-G Broadband Router (#WRT546) and it works fine for everything in the house. I have recently acquired a shed to put all my music gear in. Once I take my laptop out there I can connect to the internet maybe once every two weeks. Sometimes it doesn't even acknowledge that there are any networks in the area. Is there a way I can increase the distance of my router, I'm behind the house with a garage in between the router and the shed. Or is there something I can buy and plug into my laptop to get connection?

2. stuh84

stuh84 The Viking himself Contributor

You've got a couple of ways. You can either use a second access point as a repeater, or you can get into the N-spec gear (802.11n rather than 802.11g). It has a larger distance the wireless can transmit, and also with an added bonus that it'll run a lot faster too (although if you only use it for the internet, you won't notice much difference, only for transferring files between computers and the like).

The repeater would be the easiest option, but the 802.11n option would be futureproofing a little, and get rid of the need for a second access point.

3. ralphy1976

ralphy1976 1 less ERGNESS

yes, i had to use a repeater in my home in the UK before because my PC was at the intersection of 4 walls (weird design in know) so the signal was poor.

buying a repeater and installing it wasn't much of an issue, but make sure you get gear from the same brand, it will simplify things an awful lot.

4. Auyard

Auyard SS.org Regular

5. AK DRAGON

AK DRAGON Guitar Popcicle

if your computer doesn't currently have one then yes.
    You might also look into linksys's high gain antenna's as well if the card has some connectivity issues dropping

6. stuh84

If you are already connecting to it wirelessly, why would you need a second wireless card?

It looks like the Draft N stuff is the only option in this case.

7. Auyard

Auyard SS.org Regular

Oh I thought the laptop card would increase the ...ah 'ability' to pick up the signal from the router.

8. stuh84

Nope, you already have a wireless card in your laptop, it may increase the ability because its not built in the laptop, but the effect would be so negligible it wouldn't be worth it.

9. The Atomic Ass

The Atomic Ass Redefining Sound

There is a serious advantage to adding a card, even if it is Wireless-B, assuming that the built-in board on the laptop doesn't have an external antenna port...

Build a Cantenna. Google it. :)

10. Xaios

Xaios Foolish Mortal

Step 1: Buy a 100ft. Cat-5 cable.

I truly dislike wireless routers. They're a pain in the ass. In my old place I tried everything to get a good signal, including fitting the router with a more powerful antenna and using a repeater, but at very best I was only able to get 1/10th of the throughput of a wire. Downloading from my server, my roommate (who was wired to the router) could download at 550 kilobytes per second. I got 50 kilobytes at most downloading from the same place, after all that. Took it all back and traded it all in for a 100ft. cat-5 cable and went to the trouble of running it through the floor, but it was worth it.

11. Auyard

Auyard SS.org Regular

I would if I could but my parents wouldn't allow that and I'm not going to be around long enough to truly make that worth my effort. In my own place though that would be an option.

12. Korngod

Korngod i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i! Contributor

+1 on hardwiring with a Cat5 if you could do that, that would definitely give you the best possible signal. BUT if that couldnt work, I agree with them on getting a Wireless N router.

13. stuh84

So getting 11mbps, and dropping down to 5.5mbps on a good day, and more than likely 1mbps, is preferable to using on board?

Na, I'd prefer to go with Wireless N :)

14. Clydefrog

Clydefrog SS.org Regular

Put a tin can on the antenna.

No, I'm not joking. A pringles can can also work. It has to have some kind of tin or aluminum (can't remember which), but it widens the distance a fair bit.

15. Auyard

Auyard SS.org Regular

Wireless-N : Routers - BestBuy

Could you choose the best out of these? I really don't know what I'm looking for in technical terms. As close to $100 as possible.

16. Auyard

Auyard SS.org Regular

D-Link - Xtreme N Wireless-N Gigabit Router - DIR-655

How is this one? In my price range and seems to have good reviews wherever I look. As well as range I've decided it needs to be fast, lately Xbox Live has been only 3-4 bars as opposed to a consistent 5 even though the Xbox is in the next room over.