Incoming.... MIJ RG7421

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by decoy205, Mar 12, 2014.

1. decoy205

decoy205 SS.org Regular

Hey Guys,
    I haven't purchased a 7 string in a loooooooooong time. Years ago I purchased a new one of these from Sam Ash and it got stolen at a show. I later got my hands on a 7620 in silver and that was my main gigging guitar for about 8 years. I stupidly sold that guitar. It went to a forum bro here so at least thats good, but I missed having an RG.

I've been looking for a hard tail 7 that wont break the bank and this fit the bill. A 2000 RG7421 MIJ. I found it on GC used and got a decent deal on it. It's shipping as we speak so I hope to have it by the end of the week.

Here's the GC pic:
    [​IMG]

The one thing I know I wanna do is upgrade at least the bridge pickup. But when I do my normal investigation on this board I'm getting mixed information regarding what pickups would be a direct swap for these. I do not want to route the guitar at all.

If i have to go dimarzio I think i'd try the crunchlab since that seems to be the standard go to. Any other suggestions for pickups that won't require me to alter the guitar?

I will post more pics when it arrives. Hopefully it wont be too banged up!

Thanks!
    -John

Last edited: Mar 12, 2014
  2. WhoThenNow7

WhoThenNow7 SS.org Regular

I have a crunch lab in an rg7321 and I really like it, and I also have a d activator in an rg927, I like that too. Different guitars, but I find the d activator is more hot while the crunch lab is more thick, or.. crunchy haha. Oh and by the way, HNGD!

3. lukeshallperish

lukeshallperish Total Gear Slut

Nice score man! I saw that one on the listings (I seriously watch them constantly) but ended up ordering and rgd7421! As for pickups, it kinda depends on what kind of music your playing and what kind of tone you are looking for, but im pretty sure all dimarzios and bareknuckles should be a direct fit.

4. decoy205

decoy205 SS.org Regular

Thanks man! Yeah the CL seems to be the standard basswood upgrade that wont be too much. I'm probably going that route because its inexpensive and if i dont like it it wont hurt too bad.

Yeah Ive been looking for a while that was the best deal. Didn't sell while some others did. I really dig the new Schecters but they are a little more than i wanted to spend right now.

Here's a tune I did in drop C with a 6 string guitar but shows the style of playing i'm going for.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/49386838/THE ABYSS 1.1.14.m4a

I don't know if i wanna spend $150 on pickups. I'm hoping under $100. So probably won't find a bare knuckle unless I stalk the boards and ebay.

Some choices id like to try:

Crunchlab
    Nazgul
    Dimarzio PAF 7
    Tone Zone

Dunno if id have issues with any of these fitting.

5. decoy205

decoy205 SS.org Regular

Here's the pics I took this weekend after getting it back from the tech with the CL 7 installed and a full set up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And here's a few quick clips.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/49386838/STEREO CL 4.6.14.wav

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/49386838/7421 CLIP 2 4.6.14.wav

Sorry for the slop playing I was rushing a bit just to get something.

Overall the guitar is great. I really love the necks on these they so comfortable for 7's. The guitar is loud acoustically which is great.

The tech gave it a full set up and installed the crunchlab. I feel its a bit hot on the B string which may be making it clip a little. Not sure if its a pot issue or because I can't adjust the height of the pickup because the route is too shallow. I'm going to try different things to see how this plays out. Overall its pretty heavy and crunchy as its supposed to be.

I may try a PAF 7 or Nazgul and see where those get me.

:hbang:

6. WhoThenNow7

WhoThenNow7 SS.org Regular

That looks great man. I really like the paf-7 but have never tried it in a basswood. But other than that I love the sound, and would definitely fix the "hot" issue if it is the pickup causing that.

7. Shawn

Shawn ESP • Ibanez Forum MVP

Nice score. Congrats!

8. AkiraSpectrum

AkiraSpectrum SS.org Regular

congrats!

let us know if you throw in a different bridge pup cause i'm sure we'd all like to hear the pickup comparison! :p

9. decoy205

decoy205 SS.org Regular

The reason I thought of the PAF7 is its has a similar eq curve to the BK miracle man and everyone says they work great in these. Plus they also came standard on the K7 which people dig.

I was also contemplating getting the original pup rewound then id have the best scenario for adjustment. The stock pickups aren't as deep as dimarzios or duncans so rewinding might be the way to go.

Thanks man! I'm happy to have another ibby in the stable.

Will do. I will hopefully be recording a lot with this thing and I will share the results!

:shred:

-John

10. NovaLion

NovaLion Novum Ingenium

Another one? Color me green. I must be looking in all the wrong places. I'm fiending hard for a MIJ RG 7421. Happy NGD!

11. Robby the Robot

Robby the Robot The President Bits

Great score sir! Congrats and HNGD :yesway:

12. Les

Les Curl of the Burl

Look closely at the Pegasus, if your considering a Nazgul... I love my Nazgul but the Pegasus had peaked my interest as well. Sentient neck is a win win. Maybe Lundgrens too? I dont have xp with BKP, as much as i would love to.. Bit rich for my blood. Obviously you can look up sizing specs.

EDIT: HAPPY NGD!!! i almost forgot lol...

13. decoy205

decoy205 SS.org Regular

So I decided I was dissatisfied with the Crunch Lab. While it is a good pickup the routes on the guitar were not deep enough for me to adjust the height. It was clipping out when i palm muted the low strings.

I don't want to route the guitar so I decided to get the original stock pup rewound. I figure the stock pickup will be easier to adjust since it was made to fit the guitar.

I contacted David at Zhangbucker pickups and he was phenomenal to work with. I know it wasn't something he normally does he is known for great paf style pickups.

In any event. I had the stock pup rewound with an A8 magnet to an output of around 13k.

Here's a clip of what it sounds like now:

[SC]https://soundcloud.com/stuck-in-hell/ibanez-7421-with-stock-rewind-by-zhangbucker[/SC]

I have a clip i did with the Crunch Lab so after I make a direct comparison i'll post that as well.

-John