Inbound Caparison!!

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by Jacksonluvr636, May 5, 2021.

1. Jacksonluvr636

Jacksonluvr636 SS.org Regular

This will be my first one ever. Not sure what to expect. I love the compound radius but have never felt their neck carve.

Also wondering how these pickups will do. Pretty excited to get my hands on it. Snagged it off Reverb and waiting for it to ship.

Dellinger 7 FX-AM

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Randy, Droptune666, groverj3 and 17 others like this.
  2. feilong29

feilong29 SS.org Regular

HNGD! I have the 6-string version. The pickups are great, I don't think you'll find them lacking unless you want a specific sound. Caparison brand pickups are some of the best IMO. Very comfortable guitar, a little on the heavy side, but overall great for metal! Enjoy!

Jacksonluvr636 likes this.
  3. FitRocker33

FitRocker33 My tone is tighter than my hamstrings

I hope your experience is better than mine was back in 2010. I bought a dellinger II back then and was pretty underwhelmed by it for being a 2500
    Dollar guitar back then

manu80 and Jacksonluvr636 like this.
  4. Jacksonluvr636

Awesome thanks man. Sounds promising.

I dont have a TON of pickup experience. I liked the KM7 i had and while the Fishman were good they were also just kind of ehh, good but no personality. I dont mind EMG and like the Dimarzio TZ

I think my favorite pickups ive used was Motor City hothead.

5. Jacksonluvr636

Yes it was pricey and hopefully not the case.

6. feilong29

feilong29 SS.org Regular

I've never paid full price for a Caparison. I don't get their $2500 price-point; my first Caparison was a brand new Dellinger I Pro-Black and I got it from Guitar Asylum for $1700; and subsequent Caparisons have been used and all under $2k. Definitely a boutique brand imo, but the upscale in price is a huge turn-off and not reasonable for the curious buyer. I can understand the jump to over $2k for a 7 string because typically the necks are 5 pieces instead of 1 or 3-pc maple.

manu80 and Jacksonluvr636 like this.
  7. Jacksonluvr636

Honestly, I havent closely followed Caparison, I am aware they have older models and now the Prominence but that is about as deep as I have gotten and have not followed pricing.

This particular guitar is $3,150 at Sweetwater and I paid $2,150 used but it looks mint.

feilong29 likes this.
  8. feilong29

feilong29 SS.org Regular

Oh, you definitely got a deal! I've been a faithful Caparison fanboy for well-over a decade and none of the new models (aside from the FX-AM) interested me. The Caparison Angelus is a beloved model, especially if you can find the HGS/Pre-Pro series, but everything else is comparable to a MIJ ESP Standard series. The Dellinger, IMO is like an ESP M-II, TAT is like a Horizon, etc. But I think you'll find good value in your buy, especially since it's mint. Average prices for a Dellinger/Horus back in the day was $1600 and used around $1300. Angelus was around $1500 - $2000 depending on the model. 7 Strings weren't that prominent--aside from the Dellinger 7, but I never paid any attention to them back then. I haven't seen many owners swapping out pickups, so I'd be interested in what you think and if you swap them out, what you choose!

9. Jacksonluvr636

Well if they sound good ill keep them, otherwise I would see if MCP can make me a 7 string pickup.

feilong29 likes this.
  10. jco5055

jco5055 SS.org Regular

Congrats! A Caparison TAT special is still my favorite guitar I've ever played, and I think I've played about 95% or more of SS.org's favorite guitars/brands. I didn't plug it in though so can't say anything about the pickups, though I've heard they are very high output. I honestly haven't cared too much about pickups since I figure one can always swap them out for like max $200 as long as the guitar feels amazing.

11. manu80

manu80 Jackson for life !

Looks good. Better to get them second hand.
    When I see a 2500 euros guitar with gotoh pickups inside...make me pissed a lot...

12. Flappydoodle

Flappydoodle SS.org Regular

Ha, well the Caparison pickups definitely aren't "eh". They definitely have a ton of personality.

I know the 6 string version of that guitar very well, and it's awesome. Bright and punchy for sure. The pickups are super high output.

Jacksonluvr636 and feilong29 like this.
  13. narad

narad Progressive metal and politics

I once swapped the Caparison PH-R for a BKP holy diver and didn't really notice any difference. Caparison pickups aren't my favorites, but there's definitely nothing wrong with them.

feilong29 likes this.
  14. xzacx

xzacx SS.org Regular

I've never owned a Caparison or been much into the aesthetics, but I came across a Angelus 7 locally this weekend and I'm really tempted by it. There are so few choices for short scale 7s and I've been on the hunt for one. It played really great and seemed super well made. Price seemed a little high but again, there aren't a lot of options here so I'm considering it. I thought the pickups were just OK, but I was playing it through a crappy amp and didn't spend a ton of time dialing it in, so I think I could be much happier with them through my own rig.

15. cardinal

cardinal F# Dive Bomber

I'd love an Angelus 7. Super cool guitar.

16. Emperoff

Emperoff Not using 5150s Contributor

[​IMG]

Randy and Jacksonluvr636 like this.
  17. Jacksonluvr636

Showed up today and it is excellent. Feels like a high quality instrument. Everything was tight, easy to play and it just felt good. I am accustomed to the Schecter C shape so it took a minute to get a feel for the neck but I am pretty pleased with the purchase.

Havent got to plug it in yet and for the money I think the back of the neck could be a little fancier like the KM7 or something but it's a pretty killer guitar.

Cole Justesen and Neon_Knight_ like this.
  18. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

In my experience it’s kind of an ibanez-like “D” shape but a little thicker right?

19. Cole Justesen

Cole Justesen SS.org Regular

What a beauty! I am glad that it arrived safely. Have you got to plug it in yet? I am curious what you think of the pickups. I have EMGs in all my 7 strings. The passives I have tried were pretty good, but I like what the EMGs do for the 7th string. I really liked the DiMarzio Blaze Custom/Blaze set and the Nazgul/Sentient set though.

Cole