Inanez Soundgear SR405 Question...

Discussion in 'Bass Guitar Discussion' started by This Dying Soul, Oct 24, 2006.

1. This Dying Soul

This Dying Soul Well-Known Member

I have a 2000 Ibanez soundgear SR405 series 5 string bass. Ive been having a problem with my active electronics that I was wondering if someone could help me out with. Ive had the bass for 6 years now and honestly, its been nothing but a dream bass for me BUT, recently my batteries have been dying much faster than normal. It used to be Id have to put in a new 9 volt every 6 to 8 months. Now its every 2-3 WEEKS. I dont know whats going on and I was wondering if anyone has had this problem and what they did to fix it. :wallbash:

2. Metal Ken

Metal Ken Hates the Air Contributor

I dont have the bass, but i can guess whats wrong.

ACtive gear in guitar and bass, electronics or pickups... they use a stereo jack as a switch.. so when the guitar cord is plugged in, it completes the circuit and turns the switch on. When you levae your instrument plugged in, it would drain the battery. so whats probably happening is something is causing the jack, or whatever switches the electronics to be on all the time.

The stuff in guitars dont use enough juice to die in 4-15 hours like a CD player or whatever, so a time of 2-3 weeks continuously seems consistent with this.

3. This Dying Soul

That sounds like a damned good theory Ken. Ive had situations where ive left my bass overnight at our old practice space and forgot to unplug the cable and the battery died on me.

Do you have any ideas on how I can test that? And if it is the problem, is that just a matter of replacing the jack?

4. Metal Ken

Metal Ken Hates the Air Contributor

My best guess would be take a look at the electronics cavity and see if something is causing a connection with the jack(IE, a piece of bare wire somehow getting moved and jammed up against the jack somehow).. if not.. im not sure what else you'd check. if it is the jack, its a simple fix, though.

5. This Dying Soul

Then thats what Ill do unless anyone else has a suggestion. Thanks for the help.

6. Digital Black

Digital Black SS.org Regular

As far aswe know now, TDS, the wireing is in exactment with the diagram from Ibanez. We may have to possible replace the jack itself.

7. This Dying Soul

That sucks but if we gotta do it, we gotta do it.

8. Digital Black

Digital Black SS.org Regular

Pick one up from Sam Ash. Take me 10 minutes to put it in. Shouldn't cost much...

9. This Dying Soul

Cool, Ill do that. Maybe on the way to the next practice, since its kinda on the way. I guess the shitty part is we gotta put it in, then wait 3 weeks to see if my battery is dead to see if it actually worked.