In search for my first high-end guitar

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by Crest, Aug 6, 2020.

1. Crest

Crest SS.org Regular

Hello fellow guitarists,

After having saved up some money, I am searching for my first guitar in a higher price category for about one year now. I am planning to spend around 3.5k to 4k USD on a six-stringed guitar and after doing some research, a slight tendency towards some specific brands and models became apparent.
    What I am looking for is a guitar foremost for metal music - that means I need a guitar which still sounds and plays tight when using lower tunings (and which stays in tune!), has a neck on the thinner side with 24 frets and preferably a neck-through construction or very good high fret access (I want to improve my technique, especially lead-playing). The guitar should have a full, bright and punchy sound to chug and to play big chords (maybe thats more a pick-up issue?). It also should feel comfortable to play (not excessively heavy, non-sticky neck and a comfy shape to play in the classical position). Of course it should be manufactured to the highest standards without any flaws.
    Now I wanted to list some models to get some feedback from you all. Maybe I have left out some considerable options!

1. Aristides 060SR raw version
    2. Jackson HT6 USA
    3. Mayones Regius
    4. ESP Custom Shop (?)

My current main guitar is a Strandberg BodenOS7 which is comfy to play but has some problems when played in lower tunings. Also I think that the sound is a bit shallow and cold. Furthermore I do not want to play a Kiesel guitar due to bad customer service and not living in the US.

Thank you very much for your time and I hope that I'll be able to get a productive discussion going to finally be able to decide on a model!

Much love

2. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire thy fart is murder

can't go wrong with any of those options tbh. The only one I'd be apprehensive about is Jackson as their USA builds have been inconsistent the last few years.
    I only have hands on experience with Aristides, which are impeccably well made and should tick basically all of your requirements.

Velokki likes this.
  3. budda

budda Do not criticize as this Contributor

The world is kind of your oyster at that point.

I would also add wood library spec PRS custom 24 to that list.

littlebadboy, Meeotch and Velokki like this.
  4. Aso

Aso Single Hum Zealot Contributor

You could get a ESP USA in that price range but they have fixed specs. A ESP out of the Japanese custom shops is going to start around 6k.

I have good luck with my custom shop Jackson's that I ordered over the last few years.

Ikke and M3CHK1LLA like this.
  5. SpaceDock

SpaceDock Shred till your dead

That is a nice chunk of change to have for a guitar, but buying new is not always the best. I have a HT6 Juggernaut that I got for 1500 and a Regius 6 I got for 2400. If you play your card right and take you time you could get two of the guitars you want for that price.

gunch, Luchilleus, Velokki and 6 others like this.
  6. secretpizza

secretpizza SS.org Regular

For what you want, you really don’t need to drop that much money - unless it’s really worth it to you to have your custom build or certain woods, you could buy used and hit all the marks you laid out for 2.5, 3k at the very most. Having played many, many guitars from this general category you’re looking at, I’d highly recommend being patient and cruising the reverb listings.

Everything you listed above is good, but there are some things to be aware of. The Jackson HT6 is a killer guitar, and beautiful to look at, but the neck is thicker than you’d expect. I’ve owned and sold 3-4 of these because I love how they look but the neck just isn’t for me. If you love that look but want a thinner (and in my opinion easier to play) neck, grab a vintage Ibanez RGA420Z, they’re incredible guitars that are basically the blueprint for the HT6 and much, much cheaper.

If you’re considering ESP, try before you buy. The U shaped neck is not for everyone. Of the ones you listed, Aristides and Mayones are what you want. I prefer wood guitars just as a matter of preference so I’d say Mayo is what you want. They hit every box and they’re unbelievably comfortable guitars. If you find one in the mid-2k range with your preferred specs, don’t hesitate.

Another option is a Suhr modern; unreal build quality and playability. You may want to swap the pickups if you play down tuned stuff (I find the Suhr pickups are voiced better for E standard), but the guitars themselves are just killer.

Millul, Thaeon and M3CHK1LLA like this.
  7. josh1

josh1 SS.org Regular

I wouldn't buy a Jackson...

8. mbardu

mbardu SS.org Regular

Could you elaborate on "has some problems when played in lower tunings" ?

A lot of what you are considering (and is suggested by others) will typically be around your typical ~25.5 inch scale, so if you really intend to go with very low tunings, maybe you'd be more comfortable with something with a longer scale length? I mean, 25.5 can be just fine for things like Drop C or even C standard, but if you're already unhappy on your 7, maybe that's something to think about?

9. lurè

lurè Fake Shredder

If you are willing to wait 5-6 months, I'd say go for Aristides.

10. ChrispyFinch

ChrispyFinch SS.org Regular

I'd probably spring for a used Aristides on reverb and save some money. Then if you like it resell it and order one thats closer to your desired preferences.

11. mehegama

mehegama SS.org Regular

on that budget ESP USA is your best option if you want to go for a new one. Also Mayones or Skervesen are very high quality guitars.

12. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

headless aristides

SpaceDock likes this.
  13. Carl Kolchak

Carl Kolchak Last of the famous international playboys

26.5" Schecter custom shop something or other should do the trick, I should think.

cip 123 likes this.
  14. Furtive Glance

Furtive Glance "Millhouse, lower those eyebrows!"

Add a JP15 and a Majesty to consideration in that budget.

Millul likes this.
  15. littlebadboy

littlebadboy SS.org Regular

[QUOTE="budda, post: 5167666, member: 3314"I would also add wood library spec PRS custom 24 to that list.[/QUOTE]

I agree! Hail PRS!

Aristisdes would go 2nd for me because they're season and bulletproof too!

16. SpaceDock

SpaceDock Shred till your dead

Yes!!!

17. cip 123

cip 123 Vendor

+1 for Schecter custom shop.

Electric Wizard likes this.
  18. Crest

Crest SS.org Regular

Thank you for this tip! I never used Reverb before but maybe I can snipe one cheap there! I am just by default a bit precautious when buying second-hand, especially at high prices.

19. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire thy fart is murder

reverb and paypal have very good buyer protection.

20. Crest

Crest SS.org Regular

Thank you very much for your detailed response! Since you stated that 3k-3,5k would be too much for what I am looking for, I'd be interested in your guitar choice to reasonably spend that much money on. As already more people here have stated that Jacksons quality differs a lot, I've lost the interest in this option. Would you consider the HT6 neck to be thicker than a Mayones regius one? It's interesting that you would consider Suhr to fit my expectations, I never had this brand in mind to be suited for metal. The next time I visit a guitar store, I will definitely test one out! Thanks for this recommendation!