In Flames "I, the Mask"

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by Hellbound, Mar 3, 2019.

1. Hellbound

Hellbound €£¥€£¥€£¥€£•

Just wanted to mention that In Flames has a new album "I, the Mask" out and it is freaking phenomenal. Check out the first 2 tracks "Voices" and especially "I, the Mask" and be amazed as they are starting to sound like they used to years ago. "Come Clarity" IMO was their last best album then quickly went downhill.
    I just downloaded the whole album off of iTunes and their new album is bringing me back in time when I first started listening to them. :)

Here is "I, the Mask"...his voice is back on par again. Listen to this and get goosebumps. :)

Last edited: Mar 4, 2019
    VGK17, TedEH and Vyn like this.
  2. USMarine75

USMarine75 Plays Authentic &#169 Contributor

I am Above is already one of my fav songs of all time just to sing and jam along to... same with Stalfagel by Soilwork.

Vyn likes this.
  3. Hellbound

Hellbound €£¥€£¥€£¥€£•

Oh I definitely have In Flames new record I, the Mask on my playlist for the gym...it is a thing of beauty working out to this album. :)

I may have heard Stalfagel from "Soilwork" but will check it out anyway. Soilwork used to be one of my favorite bands years back when I first got into In Flames. I hate to say it but Soilwork kind of got boring over their past few albums but I still have a place in my heart for them. :) I have to admit that I have not listened to their latest album as of yet but I plan on doing that right now. :cool:

Last edited: Mar 4, 2019
  4. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I had no idea there was new In Flames stuff. I didn't like the last couple of albums much but this isn't bad.

5. cwhitey2

cwhitey2 BlackendCrust Metal™

I just gave the album a full listen this morning. I'm actually impressed...this is some of the best stuff they have made in years.

6. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

Heard some songs. Those songs alone make their best album in over a decade.

7. works0fheart

works0fheart Tike Myson

Listened to the whole album. Still sounds like radio mainstream non-sense. Not a fan, but to each their own.

feilong29 likes this.
  8. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I dunno what radio stations you're listening to. There's nothing where I live that would play anything even close to this. :lol:

9. gnoll

gnoll SS.org Regular

I haven't really cared about this band in a very long time, but after seeing this thread this morning I listened through the whole new album. I grew up listening to Lunar Strain and The Jester Race, and this is pretty different... It doesn't sound much like metal, the choruses sound more like really bland pop or something. Funny how a band can change so much. Anyway, if they found a sound they're happy with then great.

10. Turgon

Turgon SS.org Regular

I'm a long time In Flames fan, started with Clayman and then their whole back catalog... They lost me with "A Sense of purpose"... I have the CDs but I don't listen to them because both the sound and the songs are really awefull.
    So I had no hope for this record... and to be honest... I think if you just listen to the first 30 seconds or so of every song, this album is really really good... but everytime they start those chorusses... nope.

Eptaceros and works0fheart like this.
  11. TheShreddinHand

TheShreddinHand Uber Stringer

Great album. I’m enjoying it!

12. Descent

Descent SS.org Regular

They lost me after "Clayman" since they became more and more hipster rock than a metal band. This album fails to bring me back as a fan, it's simply "meh". The best players in that band already left.

13. Razerjack

Razerjack SS.org Regular

The singles are pretty much the only good/decent songs on the album, too much filler killed it for me

Descent likes this.
  14. AwakenNoMore

AwakenNoMore Wrong Handed

Last thing I liked was Sounds of a Playgroud Fading. Whatever came after that was depressing. Maybe I'll give this a listen.

icipher likes this.
  15. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

Iz great!

16. Vyn

Vyn Not a Sparkly Vampire

Had a crack at learning I Am Above after reading this. Holy shit its fun!

I've had I, the Mask blaring all weekend. Love it. Call My Name is probably my favourite at the moment.

Probably belongs in the unpopular opinions thread, however I've liked the last couple of In Flames albums a lot. I think a lot of the hate comes from two places, one being people who are upset that they aren't going to put out another Lunar Strain/Jester Race/Clayman/Whoracle and the second is there's still this bias that metal isn't allowed to sound 'pop-ey' because that's not br00tal.

FILTHnFEAR and USMarine75 like this.
  17. SD83

SD83 SS.org Regular

I didn't have time to listen to it properly except for the singles (well, "I, the mask" and "I am above", I didn't even bother with "This is our house"), half the songs maybe once and a few bits of others, but so far, to me, this is the best stuff they put out since "Come clarity". Which isn't saying much in itself :D Obviously, it's no new "Clayman" or "Reroute to remain". And it's nowhere near melodic death metal. And especially in the chorus, they walk a thin line between catchy and cringy, which they regularly cross, but so far, I'd say it's a decent heavy rock/metal record, which is impressive given how bad the records in between where at whatever they were trying to be.

18. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

Well fuck, there goes my hopes that the rest would be as consistent. :(

And yeah, the chrouses in those singles were weak. It's like they were being forced to do death metal again, but the band was like "but we still wanna do pop rock", so they had to come up with some kind of compromise. :lol: Sucks because some of the verses are really great.

19. TheKindred

TheKindred TimeTravel Innovator

Come Clarity was ok but it was definitely the turning point for them. I much prefer the back catalog starting an album or two before. Clayman is great.

20. works0fheart

works0fheart Tike Myson

In Orlando we have radio stations that play a lot of similar bands such as Trivium, All That Remains, etc., and mix it in with other stuff like Five Finger Duck Punch and whatnot. I'm not saying it's bad, but it does nothing for me. This band has no original members left and I think it shows. If I go back and listen to the old albums and Come Clarity there is at least some similarity or some memorable riffs on that album. There's not one that grabbed me with this. It wasn't bad but it never really demanded my attention either.