In Flames- Clayman Cover!

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by VESmedic, Jan 10, 2021.

1. VESmedic

VESmedic SS.org Regular

Once upon a time, In Flames put out a great record: and this was that time. clayman cover. no BS: Just tones. STL tones in fact.

Guitars: ESP horizon emg 57/66 set Jackson custom shop for main rhythms,Dimarzio Deactivator set.

Amps: main rhythms: EVH 5153 EL34 100 watt, engl 4x12 impulse response: done by Nordstrom himself, of the actual cab used on clayman.

Leads/Harmonies: my homie Mark Lewis’s 6534 green channel preset.

Drums: Mark Lewis death and darkness.

Bass:Mark Lewis for the win again, toontrack chamber bass, SSL EQ E channel, for compression only.

Mix: terrible mixing and editing skills 101: a free plugin from me, ozone 9 for some limiting and flavor, townhouse compressor, pultec/noiseash EQ, and that’s it! Check it out.

https://soundcloud.app.goo.gl/gTZCXuGP97Jk3skQ7

2. Flappydoodle

Flappydoodle SS.org Regular

I'm not an expert, but here's my thoughts:

1. Solo is too quiet. Backing is WAY too loud while the solo happens. You wanna drop that back -3 or -6dB while the solo happens.

2. Something in the upper mid range of the rhythm guitar tone is kinda annoying. It's Clayman-esque, but sounds like it's played with Fishmans or something with a real mid bump.

Also, there's clear finger sliding between the power chords in the verse, which squeaks every single time.

3. The lead guitars during chorus sound awesome

4. Drums sound great to me

5. Mastered WAY too loud. It's far louder than the real album.

3. VESmedic

VESmedic SS.org Regular

Thanks! Some of these critiques were coming I knew for sure haha. For what it’s worth this is the first time I’ve ever really played and “mixed” my own song, obviously could be better of course!

1. I wasn’t sure about the solo being too quiet, or if it was just an eq issue: I’m sure that comes with experience, but it seemed to me it was more of clashing of frequencies verses being too loud: I’m still not sure how to decide which the bigger issue is, although I’m sure a pro could fix it with either remedy.

2. I know what you mean about the high mid thing going on: it was tracked with deactivators in my Jackson, which definitely have a lot of “clank” and grind in the mids, might be alittle too much but I still dug it. If you notice the interlude before the solo sounds different, as it was tracked with emgs, 57/66 set, which don’t seem as harsh in the high mids but the tone is slightly thinner overall: a trade off I suppose.

As far as the finger streaks, this was more of just me not knowing how to fix it: the main riff inherently is hard to not pull off without the squeaking, if you listen to the original track it has it on there at times as well, probably more for effect than anything: any advice on how to get rid of it other than going into every note and editing it out? I doubt I’m good enough to make that sound ok either!

as far as mastering yes it’s alittle loud, I thought it was pretty close to the original, but it’s slightly louder for sure, but still doesn’t sound too squashed so that makes me happy!

thanks again!

Flappydoodle likes this.
  4. MUTANTOID

MUTANTOID SS.org Regular

These sounds have plagued my recordings for years.

-- sidenote -- I lurked your soundcloud and the Seek and Destroy tones are AMAZING!

5. Cyanide_Anima

Cyanide_Anima BLOOOOM!

I think this is awesome. It captures the Clayman vibe nicely. It's a bit more bright and less low endy, but honestly it's overall vibe is about spot on. There's some differences in levels here or there, but it's really down to taste in those regards and not really a problem.

Your Narcosynthesis cover is fucking dope, too. Sounds really good. Great playing, super tight without sounding fake and edited. Two thumbs up on both tracks.

As for the finger squeaks, they don't bother me. They're vibey and fit this style of metal. Buuuut, if you really want them to go away for me I need the freshest strings. If there is any oxidation or texture to them at all it will bring that hand-transition noise out. I get around this by using Elixir Polyweb or Nanoweb strings. As a bonus they sound bright for months and always feel slick and lubey. You can record part of a song and set the guitar down and pick up another guitar and play that for a while. Then come back to the first guitar even weeks later to record a track and there is no real noticeable difference in brightness or feel. If you record a lot and have lots of guitars and hate grit and string noise Elixir are the way to go. They do take a short while to get used to, though.

Flappydoodle likes this.
  6. bastardbullet

bastardbullet SS.org Regular

Guitars are much better than the re-recorded version i'd say. Such a shame that they've chosen this exact album to screw up, sadly.

7. D_Swint_Guitar

D_Swint_Guitar Note Wrangler

As a first listen through I'm quite impressed. I'm not an expert or even a novice at mixing, I just want to get into it. My two cents are that while the bass is loud and present, it could stand to have a little bit more articulation in the attack as a lot of metal bass has that fast attack definition. Other than that, the guitar tones are juicy with that excellent crunch, leads are creamy and sit in the mix nicely.

If there were vocals here I think the mixed down leads would make a lot more sense to the people saying that they seem too quiet.