In a weird spot gear wise. What are your thoughts?

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Nicki, Mar 5, 2020.

1. vilk

vilk Very Regular

OK I just read about "Amp Through"... but I'm not sure if I've got it right :lol:

So you put this pedal in the loop, and when you click it on, it somehow bypasses the amp's preamp? I feel like that defies the laws of signal path? But I'm no engineer! That's pretty cool. Basically, for 700, you can add an extra (high gain) channel to your amp. Did I get that right?

----------------------------

Doesn't AMT made pre-amps with the normal in/out, but also FX loop send/return, and a "channel" send/return (lotta holes on this pedal)... I remember reading on this site that you can use them to "add a channel" to a single channel amp. I wonder if AMT might not also make an option aside from the Kraken? You'd be using some more cables though.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2020
  2. Nicki

Nicki SS.org Regular

Yes, you got it right. I haven't heard of AMT but I'll do some research. My biggest gripe with the Kraken solution (even though it's probably the most viable) is the cost. Cables aren't really a big deal since it's just the one pedal. It's when it gets to a situation like what I have with my main rig that it becomes a problem lol.

3. Nicki

Nicki SS.org Regular

Alright, so small update to this situation.

I've been looking at less expensive pedals to see if there's something I can do about this. The pawn shop I frequent has a Bogner Ecstasy Red pedal that I tried out, but I found I was maxing nearly everything on that pedal to get the kind of gain that I wanted to so if I were going with a Bogner pedal, it'd be the Uberschall. However, there's no "amp through" option with that pedal so it's out.

I've been doing more and more searching for a more affordable pedal that has the same kind of feature as the Kraken, but the only thing that came close was the Diezel VH4-2. Looking at that pedal, it also doesn't have this kind of routing option. It's either going to the front of the amp or going to the power amp, but not both. It sounds absolutely killer, though. Same with the AMT pedals (which are not available in Canada). Worth mentioning is that I also shot Jens Kruse an email about the mod. The mod is $250 USD so after shipping and the cost of the mod, I'm looking close to $500 CAD. At this point, it looks like my only solution is the Kraken pedal. For the extra $200 that it's going to cost me over the Kruse mod, effectively adding 2 extra channels to the amp makes the pedal a better value proposition than the Kruse mod. So I guess I'll have to start saving up the $700 I'll need for that pedal.

In the meantime to hold me over until I get the funds together, I randomly decided I was going to try playing with my old Metal Zone in the Orange. going straight into the power amp, the pedal sounds surprisingly good. Going through the front of the amp on the Natural channel, a little more tweaking made it sound equally good. So I'll just be using that for the time being.

4. Gmork

Gmork SS.org Regular

Sorry, promise im not trying to be a dick. And youre correct, i know OF it but not much ABOUT it.
    I just mean if the mt15 has too much gain why not just lower the gain? Is the amp known for not being too great doing low/mid gain tones?
    Also im not 100% certain but im pretty sure the amptweaker tightmetal ST will have the ability to connect the way you want and as a bonus its still the best sounding highgain pedal out there imho

Last edited: Mar 8, 2020
  5. Nicki

Nicki SS.org Regular

No. The Amptweaker won't solve the issue. The SideTrak feature is basically it's own internal FX loop. It's not meant to be used with the FX loop of an amp. The diagram on the website shows how it's meant to be used. Looks like no matter what, the signal always exits the pedal at one point (the Out jack) into the front of the amp. That's not what I'm looking for. I'm looking for what the Kraken V4 pedal offers which is a way to optionally bypass the amp's preamp when the pedal is on, and go into the preamp when the pedal is off.

My googling over this past weekend has led me to believe that the Victory pedals are the only pedals that do this.

The MT15 was designed to be a high gain lunchbox head. It'll do similar rock and and pop-rock tones that the R15T does, but it won't do them as well.

All that being said, I'm finding myself more and more disappointed with the R15T, especially after running the Metal Zone into the Natural channel. For all the hate that the Metal Zone gets, it actually showed me how much clarity and note definition the R15T's dirt channel lacked. I don't want to get rid of the amp because it has its uses to me and the Natural channel is WAY cleaner than the "clean" channel on my EVH, but the dirt channel is just starting to show how poorly designed it is, mainly in how little the EQ controls affect the overall tone. For this reason, I may reconsider selling it, though I know that the Kraken pedal will replace the preamp of the R15T and basically rectify all my gripes with this amp.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2020
  6. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

Have you tried the mt15 to confirm it wont do rock well?

7. cGoEcYk

cGoEcYk SS.org Regular

Maybe EVH 5150 15w version.

I've had a few Oranges, enjoyed em all. TH30 was nice, great sounding in the mix, grab n go type of amp. I ended up selling it (and the others) and have stuck with my old Tremoverb past number of years.

8. Nicki

Nicki SS.org Regular

Yes, I have. I didn't say it won't do "rock" well. I said it won't do classic rock and pop-rock well. It's voiced for rock, hard rock and metal. Stuff that requires more gain saturation. The low to medium gain stuff it just doesn't do nearly as well as the R15T.

I'll add that I ordered one of those Donner Alpha Force pedals off wish today for like $50. Figure that's worth a shot as a stopgap and cheap enough that I won't care if it works or not.

9. Nicki

Nicki SS.org Regular

As I've mentioned in a previous reply, I don't like the EVH LBX amps due to the inclusion of the blue channel. It needs a TS in front of it to sound good (because without a TS in front of my 5150iii 50w, the blue channel is no bueno). If it was green and red, yes, EVH LBX all day long. But not the blue channel...

cGoEcYk likes this.
  10. cmpxchg

cmpxchg SS.org Regular

no, that's not the case. James Brown explained it here: https://www.sevenstring.org/threads/amptweaker-tight-metal-pro-field-test.283446/#post-4276165

11. c7spheres

c7spheres GuitArtist

You can just get a loop switcher and work that type of functionality in with whatever piece of gear/overdrive you want. No mod's neessary. Get the pedal with the sound you like best and work the switching in with a loop switcher.

12. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire grossly incandescent

MT15 is not an apartment or bedroom friendly amp at all. Their master volume is suuuper finicky.

13. Nicki

Nicki SS.org Regular