Impulse Purchase JP6 Sparkle

AboutBlank

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
For a longer time now I have been looking for some company for my Teles.

I wasn't in a hurry with that, but when I saw this JP pop up I was pretty excited about the finish.

On top of that, this one is from 2001 and I have had very good experiences with older guitars so far.
The last older one I brought to PLEK for a refret and after I was told that it didn't move a hundredth of a millimetre after the dressing I was quite excited.
This guitar still has the perfect setup after more than a year and a half.

Here I made it a bit dependent on my girlfriend, as I was not completely sure (price was good for our region), she saw the finish and told me to buy it immediately.

Who am I to contradict ;)

I am also absolutely thrilled with the playability!
Frets are still okay, but will surely be replacedby SS frets one day.

What I'm not so enthusiastic about yet are the pickups, especially the bridge PU compresses a lot and has a bit too much output (I don't know exactly what model it is).
Maybe my standard combination of either Holydiver/Coldsweat or Black Dog/Coldsweat will come in at some point, we'll see.

Also I might block the bridge, the sound of the springs is driving me crazy as a fixed bridge user.

JP6 by About Blank, auf Flickr

Attachments

• sparkly-guitar.jpg
    sparkly-guitar.jpg
    569.5 KB · Views: 1

Robotechnology

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Love sparkle finishes! Only owned one before though... a Yamaha Pacifica RGZ4XX that I sold along time ago that was the same color as this JP6.

Lax

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Splendid !!!
I loved my JP6s, for the spring noise I just put a little tissue between springs and the backplate !
ENJOY

Furtive Glance

Unfamiliar with the type of thing I’m seeing.
Reaction score
The bridge pickup is a modified version of the Steve's Special. You couldn't buy it off the shelf from DiMarzio. Some people really like them so if you end up swapping it, you could probably find someone that wants it.

Sparkle finishes are sweet. Looking at EBMM's historical releases, they used to have CRAZY finish options.

kisielk

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Yeah for some reason the springs in my JP6 were unusually loud as well. I put in some Floyd Rose quite springs, the ones coated in rubber, and it fixed it.

Opion

Sir Mattafer
Reaction score
That looks dope! Congrats on your new guitar!

FYI, If the springs are driving you mad, just put some gaff tape across the springs. No need to block your trem to reduce noise I actually think even with it blocked it would still ring.

AboutBlank

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Thank you all very much!

The bridge pickup is a modified version of the Steve's Special. You couldn't buy it off the shelf from DiMarzio. Some people really like them so if you end up swapping it, you could probably find someone that wants it.

Sparkle finishes are sweet. Looking at EBMM's historical releases, they used to have CRAZY finish options.

Ah brilliant, this is very useful, thank you!

That looks dope! Congrats on your new guitar!

FYI, If the springs are driving you mad, just put some gaff tape across the springs. No need to block your trem to reduce noise I actually think even with it blocked it would still ring.

I rather thought about blocking the tremolo completely (don't think I ever want to use it), i.e. front and back and removing the springs.
I haven't really thought about it that much, but I know that the springs always resonate to some degree.

Maybe I will just do it with foam, we' ll see.

Exit Existence

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Congrats! I own the 7 String version of that, and boy do pictures not do the sparkle justice. You need sunglasses to play that thing in bright lights! :)

AboutBlank

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Congrats! I own the 7 String version of that, and boy do pictures not do the sparkle justice. You need sunglasses to play that thing in bright lights! :)

Yes, that's right, unfortunately the sun has been relatively abstinent here for some time, so I had to use some ambient light for the photos here.

After a longer playing time now I still have the same feeling about the pickups.
I have been playing exclusively BKP's for several years now, which is more accidental than elitist elitist thinking and am (watch out for phrases) attached to the open character with very little compression and a lot of note separation, at least with the models I use.

Does anyone have any idea which DiMarzios have a similar character to Black Dogs?
I would like to avoid the rasp in a used purchase, or a custom order at Bare Knuckle.

Could someone also confirm that I definitely can't use PU's with covers without extending the routing?

JimF

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I came so close to buying one of those last year but the seller wouldn't ship internationally! Looks gorgeous. I prefer the newer gold sparkle they offer which has more yellow in it, but yours looks so classy.

A-Branger

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
fuck yeh sparkles! \m/

also, whats that Tele you have in there?, solid color seafoamy with natural back white binding and roasted neck, show me show me show me