Improvised Shows

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by Skyblue, Nov 28, 2015.

1. Skyblue

Skyblue SS.org Regular

So, yesterday I went to a show that was completely improvised. Now, I don't mean it wasn't planned- but the music itself was completely improvised. No written songs. For any of way who like Jazz that might not seem very special, as Jazz is based on improvisation, but do consider that even in Jazz (except for maybe in Free Jazz) you have a structure, harmony, and usually a main melody to work with before going full-on improv.

So while I understand it probably won't work with every genre of music- how would you like it if bands started including more improvisation in their shows? I think most bands today barely improvise on stage (which is understandable, as fans want to get to hear the songs they know live). Hell, even the solos are usually pretty much the same as the album version. So- Do you think it's a good idea? Bad idea? Would you go to a completely improvised show?

Here's a video from another improvised show of the same band I saw yesterday-

2. celticelk

celticelk Enflamed with prayer

I went to a completely improvised David Torn show in June. Awesome stuff. Of course, he's been doing that sort of thing for several decades, and was promoting an album of improvised material, but still.

3. RevDrucifer

RevDrucifer SS.org Regular

Improvising has been my favorite thing to do ever since I started playing with other people. My buddies and I were majorly into Dream Theater back in high school, when Liquid Tension Experiment was released it had a 20-something minute improv jam at the end, it spawned off a whole new world for us. We didn't even care about learning other songs, we'd just go off for hours. Still to this day, when my drummer buddy and I can get together, we go off for a while and it's like we never stopped.

When a group of musicians are really in tune with each other, amazing things can happen. You go into places you normally never would have gone. Of course, there are plenty of times you're just waiting to catch onto something and musical vomit pops up for a bit, but it comes with the territory.

I think it's also missing with guitar solos these days. I love hunting down Pink Floyd bootlegs because Gilmour rarely played those solos exactly the same way and some nights were just perfect. All the important parts would be in there, but his way of getting to them would change night to night.

Any song I've ever written has started off with me improvising. I haven't "practiced".....really ever, I've always just grabbed my guitar and started playing. I'm .... because of it, but it's been a fun 22 years.

4. jonajon91

jonajon91 New Picture

Oh man here we go. I am in love with a musical genre called EAI or electroacoustic improvisation. It's closely linked with other genres such as lowercase or onkyo. It's basically a group of musicians making sounds electronically, recording live or using non input mixing desks, the music is usually quiet because of the links with Lowercase (a genre based on making music out of extremely quiet sounds). It's a really interesting direction that minimalism and ambient music has gone in the last 20 years and I love it. I'm actually going to be writing an essay on the three genres early next year, should be fun.

This is an extract of Martin Siewert/Martin Brandlmayers album, too beautiful to burn. One of my favourite EAI albums.

And a few more links if you are actually interested.
    RYM Ultimate Box Set > EAI / Onkyo / Lowercase - Rate Your Music
    http://s7.postimg.org/bsa6qf2e1/lowercase.jpg

---edit---

Your link that you shared in the OP was great. That must have been a fantastic gig.

5. Skyblue

Skyblue SS.org Regular

I'm not familiar with his improvised work, but his album Polytown is absolutely amazing. Will check this out. Thanks!

This sounds really interesting, I'll check this out when I'll come back from work today! Thanks man!
    And Tatran are amazing. You should totally check out their music. I really hope they'll grow big enough to tour abroad (they already went to some international festivals which is cool)

There's just nothing that beats the special chemistry between musician who improvise live. I swear, during the show you could sometimes hardly believe they improvise- ideas flowed and connected and worked so wonderfully. It was amazing to hear.

6. celticelk

celticelk Enflamed with prayer

His most recent is only sky, which is solo improvisation, but his previous album Prezens has a lot of group-improv stuff. Polytown was largely improvised, too - it was just improvised serially: Terry Bozzio would improv a drum track, and then Mick Karn would listen and improvise a bass part, and then Torn would add improvisational guitar layers. The record he did a couple of years ago with Tony Levin and Alan White worked in much the same fashion.

7. mongey

mongey SS.org Regular

My band is a huge lover of improv . If we have no gigs or whatever to rehearse for we will often just do a 2 and a half hour long jam on nothing and everything instead of playing the songs

that said we don't do it on stage . if we have time at the end of the set we may do a couple minutes improv on the outro of whatever we play last but that's it

unless its billed as an improv night and teh crowd is there to see it specially then I don't think its really on

8. odibrom

odibrom .