impressions of the H&K Triamp

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by KnightBrolaire, Oct 7, 2019.

1. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire Pickup hoarder

I've been intrigued by these amps for quite some time but I wanted to hear some firsthand impressions of how they sound whether it be the MK1, 2 or 3 version.

2. FILTHnFEAR

FILTHnFEAR Dread it, run from it....

I've played around on a Mk1 Triamp briefly quite some time ago so I can't say much, but I've owned a Tube 100 for 20 years which came shortly after the Triamp and is that stripped down to 2 channels and has basically the same tonal characteristics as far as I can tell.

The clean channel is fantastic if you like the hi fi cleans, yet it has enough gain available to make it very versatile. Takes pedals very well. High gain I'd say is a mix of a Dual Rec and a Marshall if I had to describe it. More of a refined top end gain structure with the Recto sizzle and Marshall-y mids.

3. rokket2005

rokket2005 SS.org Regular

I had a MkI for about a year and currently have a MkII. They are great sounding amps, but both of mine had/have issues and they're not the easiest amps to diagnose whats wrong with it/get fixed. FWIW I think it is objectively the best amp that H&K make and none of their other amps do anything for me. If you want a bunch of really good tones in one amp it's a solid choice, but at the end of the day its mostly trying to cover the sounds of other amps rather than do it's own thing. So do you need approximations of Deluxe/AC30/JCM800/Rectifier? Then absolutely, the Triamp gets in those ballparks and sounds great while doing it. Are there better/cheaper options now that do the same thing? Maybe

4. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

I found it unimpressive and always think hk has better lightning switching and solid state engineers then tube circuit designers.
    That being said you hated the pitbull. So you might actually love the triamp

5. Guitarjon

Guitarjon SS.org Regular

The Triamps look pretty amazing to me but I've ever tried one. I've been really turned on to H&K since I recently got a Grandmeister Deluxe 40 and it's impressing the crap out of me. I believe it has the same preamps as the Triamp. I am able to get a super wide variety of tones out of the GMD40 so I imagine the Triamp would take that to the next level... I want one! haha

6. Nicki

Nicki SS.org Regular

For the price, I don't think they're worth it. I've never heard of H&K having quality issues, so it would come as a surprise to me if they had any. I think there are better amps for less money like a dual rec or rockerverb. If i'm going into the price range of what H&K are asking for the Triamp MKIII, hands down, I'd go Revv Generator.

7. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

A college buddy of mine owned one, I guess he bought it from the guitarist in a band that had just got back from opening for Collective Soul on an arena tour (this was around 2000-2001) and his settings were still marked on it. I think the master was at 2-3, so take that for what it's worth - these are LOUD amps. :lol: This was probably a Mk2, but this was also damned near 20 years ago.

I didn't like it. Clean was very clean which isn't really my thing (I like a little bit of grit at the edges of my clean sound) but otherwise nice. Gain was very dry and crunchy/fizzy, with an overall flavor that was more Marshall than Mesa, I think, sort of the dry top end of a Recto but the low end (really, more low-midrange) of a Marshall, and not nearly the depth. There were some decent crunch sounds in there, and it got a bit better at stupid volumes, but overall it wasn't for me - I was playing a Mesa Rocket-44 at the time, which was sort of a poor man's DC, and I was vastly more happy with the sounds I was getting out of that.

That said, it was unarguably one of the prettiest amps I've ever plugged into, so there's that.

8. Marty666

Marty666 SS.org Regular

The Triamp, while definitely usable/workable, never had a sound that totally wow-ed me. I usually don't throw around subjective words like "character" but that one lacks "character" . The Puretone on the other hand, now THAT'S a serious piece of work, amazing single channel amp, up there with the best. Barking mad in the volume department though

9. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire Pickup hoarder

I'm gonna go try a MKIII triamp this weekend just to see if it's up my alley. From the sounds of it, I don't think it'll be worth my time.

10. Meeotch

Meeotch SS.org Regular

I recently got a Triamp MK3 and I have been super impressed with it (sorry just posted about this in the other H&K thread). I think you don't hear about them as much because 1) They are fucking expensive and 2) They get lumped into the German category of amps, of which Diezel and Engl are perceived as superior.

I found mine mint for a hair over $2k USD, and for that price range it beats a lot of the competition IMO. I think it's accurate to say that the H&K engineers were going for their take on already well established tones, but to say they are just inferior models of said tones is way off. I've played a lot of high end amps, and the high gain tones in the MK3 are right up there. Every channel is easy to dial in, and the range of tones is unmatched. I haven't used all the bells and whistles yet, but the coolest is definitely the midi switchable power tube configurations. In fact, damn near everything is midi switchable which to me just makes sense!

The MV is also one of the best I have heard (right up there with Friedman).