Importing Guitars: Horror Stories?

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by m107a1, Jan 29, 2017.

1. m107a1

m107a1 SS.org Regular

Closing the loop - my Mayones Duvell Elite 6 MBC was delivered yesterday, safe and sound! Delivery took 7 days from storefront to doorstep. NGD pix this weekend after installing a slatwall strip and guitar hangers on the wall in my studio. Pix of that too once it's loaded up!

2. Wolfos

Wolfos Guitarded

I ordered a guitar from New Jersey... a 6 hour drive from me in Ontario and 4 days later usps tracking says it hasn't even been shipped yet.... I expected it to be here in 4 days and it hasnt even been put on a truck yet!

3. Vrollin

Vrollin SS.org Regular

Last guitar I ordered from the states took 4 days to get to my door in Australia. Was expecting it to sit in customs and cop a charge for it. Somehow it skipped the whole customs process and no extra fees were added!

4. Wolfos

Wolfos Guitarded

I hate you.

5. cmtd

cmtd SS.org Regular

No international guitar experience yet.

I did ship a Koa top to Poland, that took about 1 month from the US to Poland. Got hit with a minimal import fee of about $20.

I imported a pedal from Belarus, also took about 3.5 weeks to get delivered to the US. No fees associated with the import.

Tracking updates were pretty delayed and sporadic outside of the US. My Koa top was hung up in Germany for a little while, but never had any issues aside from the delay while it was processing.

6. Vrollin

Vrollin SS.org Regular

It was a PRS mccarty in mint condition that I got for $1400 US if that makes you feel better hahaha

7. Wolfos

Wolfos Guitarded

Beautiful I owned a Tobacco burst PRS Custom 24 about 7 years ago. It was a gorgeous thing, miss having it around but someone offered me $1000 more than I paid for it so I pretty much had to sell it.

8. prlgmnr

prlgmnr ...that kind of idea

It does just seem that every now and then the customs people get sick of opening boxes and looking at .... they don't care about and just wave a few through so they can go and have an extra cup of tea.

9. Wolfos

Wolfos Guitarded

I hope that's me, I'm sick of adding an extra $600 to my bill just for going over the border. Canada has a crap selection for guitars all the ones I like are in the states.

10. Mechanos71

Mechanos71 SS.org Regular

Sorry for the minor necro but has anyone tried importing guitars recently. My Daemoness was making it way to the states and I had to fill out Lacey act paperwork and got slapped with a $400+ customs duty, which I suspect some of that cost is due to them opening my package. Anyone else experiencing similar? My guitar has no rosewood in but I still feel like I gut royally screwed customs.

11. purpledc

purpledc Proud blacksheep

Every guitar I have ordered from overseas has been great. And they always got hear in under 2 weeks. I find if this isn't the case the person who shipped it made an error or paid for the absolute slowest way they could. The only bad that ever came out of it was when I ordered a "custom guitar" from china. That was a never ending saga of stupidity. And it started with my stupidity of ordering one. But I find if you are dealing with honest people who care about what they do you only have a problem due to random chance.

12. Nick1

Nick1 SS.org Regular

Back in 03 maybe 04 I bought a brand new dean hardtail for $750 shipped. I got it and the neck was a bit under bowed. So I used the supplied Allen wrench to adjust it and when I went to remove the wrench the whole truss rod came with it.
    So yeah it went right back in the case and got boxed back up. Called the dealer I got it from and asked for my $ back and he tried to get me to take a replacement and I said no thanks I'll pass.

13. USMarine75

USMarine75 The man who is tired of the anus is tired of life Contributor

There are so many factors at play. Customs does not check every package, including the Gibson I bought from Hong Kong that clearly said "Gibson Guitar" and fragile etc written all over the package lol. It was $4k so it should have had monstrous fees. I think maybe they said meh it doesn't have rosewood who cares. But I was prepared for longer and I had about the same delivery time as you. Most good overseas carriers (e.g. EMS IIRC?) get picked up by USPS when CONUS anyways, as they have established contracts, and that helps expedite the process.

14. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

+1 for Customs being a game of roulette. You could get a lazy customs worker who just rubber-stamps the paperwork, the reasonable worker who takes a quick observant look, or the guy who really wants a new guitar and is banking on the chance that you might give up if he makes your import as difficult as he can.

15. farren

farren SS.org Regular

One time I had this package coming from Serbia, and three weeks later I get this letter from the DE... Oh wait, we're talking about guitars. No, I've never imported a guitar. Never mind.

16. PBGas

PBGas SS.org Regular

It's a crap shoot when ordering into Canada. I've ordered lots of J Customs over the years and re-sold them. Sometimes I would get dinged for duty and most of the time, not. My buyer in Japan always listed them as used guitars and set a value on them that sometimes they would claim on and sometimes not. It all depended upon the frequency of when I bought them.