I'm now embarrassed to live so close to Steubenville

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Larrikin666, Jan 4, 2013.

1. Larrikin666

Larrikin666 Deadite

I normally don't even frequent this part of the forum. However, I read an article today about some things happening in Steubenville, OH that horrified me. I'm sure we have more than a few members from that area. This disgusts me......

LocalLeaks | Writing away with Blogs.ru

2. TRENCHLORD

TRENCHLORD Banned

Looks to be a very messy situation (npi).

3. AxeHappy

AxeHappy SS.org Regular

Send them all to hell. This is disgusting.

4. zappatton2

zappatton2 SS.org Regular

Man, stuff like this just gives me the creeps. Just watched the movie Eden Lake last night, all about a small town with a "boys will be boys" attitude that leads to some horrifying stuff. But this is REAL :(

I am always uncomfortable with people who are elevated to hero status within homogenous communities. Some of them may well be noble folks, but it gives a lot of leeway to people who may gradually become accustomed to getting away with more and more until shit like this happens.

The exact flip side of this are cases like the West Memphis Three, where shit up to and including murder gets pinned on the "outsiders" and the "weirdo" just for being different in a small town. Individuals are very rarely truly "good" or "bad", we learn to adjust within our parameters, and some environments make it very easy for shit like this to happen. It's why I am always more terrified of stories like this, or orchestrated and sanctioned crimes, rather than individual crimes, or the very very rare instance of genuine psychopathic killers and random atrocities.

5. Painhawg

Painhawg Well-Known Member

Wow. I hope they all burn. And to top it off, these are going to be the best days of their lives. Losers.

6. Chickenhawk

Chickenhawk A Bad Idea Contributor

Might be time for some of those boys to meet the business end of a baseball bat.

7. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

Holy crap, that's disturbing. I'm not sure which is worse, the actions of the boys or law enforcement/lawyers covering it all up. These guys need to be brought to justice. And I don't care what kind of Justice it is. Regular law, Dirty Harry law, Jack Reacher law, Dexter law, etc. SOMETHING has to be done.

I will say that I love these sorts of vigilante detective things like this local leaks thing. And rep for Anonymous championing the victims here.

8. Nile

Nile Giver of the Likes

I vote for them to be brutally raped and assaulted.

9. SP1N3SPL1TT3R

SP1N3SPL1TT3R SS.org Regular

I can top that. I live the same town and went to the same high school, as Victim #1. I live in Jerry Sandusky's hunting ground. I know people that have met him.

10. Chickenhawk

Chickenhawk A Bad Idea Contributor

Why would you have to top that?

What the fuck does Sandusky have to do with what happened to this girl?

11. tacotiklah

tacotiklah I am Denko (´・ω・`)

Christ. As heinous as the action of the students were, the adults covering this shit up were the truly evil and despicable people here because they created and perpetuated the environment that allowed this shit to happen. They make those kids feel like they are untouchable when in truth they are delinquent shitheads that play for some backwater podunk high school football team. In the end the majority of bad kids are that way because nobody intervened and taught them better.

I guess in light of that I kinda pity the kids. I cure this by watching that confession video again and my urge to physically destroy them comes right back. Fuck that whole fucking mess. :noway:

12. larry

larry ". . . . . . . ."

i am amazed by the breadth of anonymous' & knight sec's reach. i hope they
    can reach even further.... after reading the entire disclosure, i have little faith
    that the legal system can bring everyone who deserves it to justice.

in my opinion the guilty parties probably think they're above the law.
    i don't think any sort of legal action would produce a bit of remorse from
    these assholes, even if they were convicted and sentenced. i don't know if
    ninja exist, but i can't think of anything more worthy of their specific skill
    set..:ninja:
    :2c:

13. athawulf

athawulf SS.org Regular

Wow. I hope somehow these assholes get crucified.

14. Watty

Watty Naturally Cynical

Seems par for the course as far as human beings being despicable goes.

There's so much shit like this going on in the world today, especially with high school and college aged kids. I was surprised as all get out to learn about things that went on at parties (smaller high school) involving girls whom I never would have guessed would have done the shit they did. I'd be straight up scared to raise a child right now, a boy because there's the chance peer pressure could prompt him to join in the activity, and a girl...well, I don't even want to think about that. Law Abiding citizen much?

I know that pointing the finger at the culture of the sport is not unlike pointing at a gun after a shooting, but there's so much undue reverence given to sports, and football in particular, it's fucking ridiculous. Maybe it's me hating football on the face of it, but events like these seem all too common. The revenue argument is also a complete crock of bullshit. And if this is what "small town America" looks like, you can keep it all. My friend had his iPod stolen by a member of our school's baseball team, and despite getting it back, the attitude the perp had regarding it seemed almost like he thought he was entitled to it as a sort of hazing ritual or something. I guess it really comes from a certain mindset regarding the culture of sports on the whole...not going to be changing anytime soon as a result.

As to Anonymous stepping in; I applaud them for it. At times, I feel like the knowledge they have could fuck us back into the stone age, but they've proven time and time again that they're aware of this and only use what they know to do what's right. The Spiderman cliche comes to mind, and remains pertinent for these folks. (Note: I've done zero research about possible instances in which they've used their knowledge for bad reasons...)

15. 3074326

3074326 Local Astronaut

This makes me embarrassed to live on this planet. I live an hour or so away from Steubenville. I've been there a handful of times. It's a high school football town. Shows how important sports are to certain people, sadly. Can't imagine being a parent of ANYONE involved, especially the girl.

I can't imagine this ending well for anyone.

16. Mexi

Mexi SS.org Regular

What is often ignored is just how big a deal football is to these communities. For lots of towns, it is the only source of income and to lose it would have a crushing impact for their future.

that is not to justify what the football team/school/law enforcement did, but it speaks volumes about the kind of culture that exists and is so prevalent. These people place a higher value on the future of their town's economy than the life/dignity of a young girl, which is despicable in of itself, but one has to wonder how on earth things got to where they are if these are the only choices that present themselves.

lots more needs to be done to raise awareness about this kind of mentality and there needs to be a change in how much these towns' respective economies depend on their football programs, especially when the human cost has been so high.

17. in-pursuit

in-pursuit SS.org Regular

The fact that crimes like this are actually considered a kind of "social norm" in any country is sickening, to be happening in a country that goes out of its way to invade foreign nations under the premise of upholding human rights is pathetic. When the justice system fails to deliver the appropriate punishment to the perpetrators of crimes such as this, I whole heartedly support ordinary citizens taking up the responsibility.

And I'll tell you another thing, either that girls parents haven't been made aware of the confession in that video or they're both physically disabled. If that happened to my daughter the folks over at Wikipedia would have to make some adjustments to the article that describes the definition of pain.

18. McKay

McKay ʎɐʞɔW

Wait what? What does that have to do with anything?

19. Sunyata

Sunyata Bro Story Cool

Little shits who live in little towns are put up on a pedestal and revered all the time. Without realizing that they are little more than dumb teens who throw a ball around, they become arrogant, egotistical little shits. This inflated ego leads to them thinking they can do/get away with horrific shit like this.

Think that's what he means with the homogenous communities thing.

20. Captain Shoggoth

Captain Shoggoth literally just vibing

burn these fuckers alive

they deserve whatever they get and worse

anonymous have a habit of getting on my tits, but they get things done. I'm glad the concept exists.