I'm expecting a new Jackson Pro Soloist. How should I feel?

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by Ted Pikul, May 4, 2021.

1. Ted Pikul

Ted Pikul SS.org Regular

Impulse buy. Something's wrong with a new guitar, so I'm sending it in for a replacement, and it may be a few weeks, so I bought a 2021 Jackson Pro Soloist (Coffee Burst) to keep me busy. Anyway, that's the excuse. I've owned Jacksons, and I've owned neck-thru guitars, but I haven't owned or played a Jackson Soloist before.

Should I be hopeful, but concerned about QC? Should I be preternaturally calm, because I know that there are no QC issues, or at least, not too many, or at least, not as much? Should I not expect it to live up to other Indo guitars that I've received over the past few years, that have generally been excellent?

Has anyone else bought a Pro Soloist in the last couple of years, since they sort of revamped the line? Happy/sad?

2. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Why not just be stoked your getting a new guitar? :lol:

There's no promise it'll be good or bad. Maybe it'll be your favorite, maybe you'll hate it, either way, new guitars are awesome, whether they're new-new or just new to you.

Dooky, TedEH, AkiraSpectrum and 8 others like this.
  3. Ted Pikul

Ted Pikul SS.org Regular

You're absolutely right. I'm just doing the sort of overdoing that I usually do. I've been surprised to find that there aren't that many opinions, pro or con, about the lineup that seems to have gotten refreshed in 2019-20. The real problem is that it's not gonna get here until Saturday.

4. DaZoner

DaZoner SS.org Regular

I was eyeing that exact model. It looks awesome! Be sure to post some pics.

Ted Pikul likes this.
  5. mbardu

mbardu SS.org Regular

Have not tried 2021 pro soloists, but the pre-2018 I've played have been pretty bad, while the 2019 I've played and owned have been excellent.
    If it's like the more recent ones I've tried on average, it should hopefully be great. If you have not played a Soloist before, it should also feel like a Soloist.
    It's strange but none of the 2000/early 2010s imports before gave me that impression, while the recent pros (like some Jackson Stars or some 90s MIJs) actually do.

Ted Pikul likes this.
  6. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

Loosen up your wrist. Gotta practice for wiggling the wiggle stick.

USMarine75 and Ted Pikul like this.
  7. groverj3

groverj3 Bioinformagician

Anecdotally, the past few years have been better. I had a very early run Indonesian pro series, and it was fine, but had some minor cosmetic issues.

They use the same factories that every brand uses at that price point.

Ted Pikul likes this.
  8. Ted Pikul

Ted Pikul SS.org Regular

I've been doing wrist stuff.

I can handle minor cosmetic issues. I never got a bad guitar from Indonesia, and I've gotten a couple of amazing guitars from there. It was sort of an impulse purchase, but only sort of. Once I figured out how much I like neck-thru guitars, I knew I'd have to get a Jackson Soloist, sooner rather than later.

mbardu and Mathemagician like this.
  9. jl-austin

jl-austin SS.org Regular

Not to rain on the parade here, but the MII Pro (and for that matter x-series) are "okay". The problem is that the MIM Pro Dinky's are just soooo much better. That being said, if there was a model I loved I would not hesitate in buying it.

Ted Pikul likes this.
  10. Ted Pikul

Ted Pikul SS.org Regular

You like the Charvel DKs more than the Jackson neck-thru? I actually really like the DKs, went through a bunch of them. The ESP LTD neck-thru guitars that I bought, for a similar price, really seem superior (for my purposes). One of the reasons that I got this Soloist is to see if I really do like neck-throughs that much, or whether I just like ESP.

11. mbardu

mbardu SS.org Regular

Couple of years ago, yeah. Today, its pretty much the same quality, with variation due to individual guitars. Both are still missing stainless steel frets unfortunately though, pretty much my only complaint.

Ted Pikul likes this.
  12. Chebax

Chebax SS.org Regular

I bought a second hand one some months ago and was pleasantly surprised with the build quality.
    It is the first indo guitar I’ve ever owned and I didn’t expect it was going to be this good.

Then I installed an Evertune on it and now I find myself spending more time playing it than my other way more expensive guitars.

Ted Pikul and JimF like this.
  13. Ted Pikul

Ted Pikul SS.org Regular

Guitar has arrived! It seems pretty well put together, some little cosmetic things that don't really matter (pics incoming).

One thing though...I can't seem to get a clean sound out of the pickups. With the guitar's volume knob maxed, I get a little bit of distortion/overdrive, with amp settings that are clean with my other guitars (that are full of high-output p'ups). They're SD Distortions, and I've had them in other guitars, and I was able to get a clean sound with no hint of overdrive from them in those guitars. I can get rid of the overdrive/distortion tone if I dial back the volume on the guitar, but that thins the tone out a little. I...thought this only happened with active p'ups...

Is this just how Jackson sets their Pro Soloists up? I should say that the guitar is f'in excellent with gain, absolutely brilliant. Everything I wanted, and a little bit more, as far as that goes. In fact, I think the SD Distortion sounds better in this guitar than it does in my ESP LTD M-1 Custom '87, with gain. Just missing the clean clean. You know, cleans that are clean.

In fact...if this guitar had clean cleans, it would seriously unsettle my current ESP LTD fanboyitis. It definitely supports my current mania for neck-thru's.

edit: p'ups don't seem unusually high or close to strings. I just can't seem to avoid getting some dirt or break-up if I hit the strings with any intensity, or strum energetically. It would be great, if the sensitivity were dialed down just a touch, but I don't know how to do that (without e.g. lowering p'up height and possibly losing tone). If I could lighten my touch a little...

edit 2: absolute diamond with gain, though. Better than I'd hoped. Lovely.

Last edited: May 10, 2021
  14. Ted Pikul

Ted Pikul SS.org Regular

...and I've now read multiple reviews of the Distortion that say that you'll probably have to "tweak your amp" to get "ideal" cleans from the p'up. Okay. I get it. Challenge accepted.

With gain, as noted, I have no complaints. None.

15. Andromalia

Andromalia Pardon my french

Buy a Fender Twin. You'll get clean tones or you'll get deaf so it won't matter.

Mathemagician, Ted Pikul and xzacx like this.
  16. mbardu

mbardu SS.org Regular

I would have said to lower the pickups but you checked that already.
    I haven't checked what pots they use so maybe it could be a difference compared to your other guitars?
    That said, I wouldn't really use SH6s for cleans much anyway :)

Happy NGD regardless. I bet the guitar feels P H A T to play

Ted Pikul likes this.
  17. Ted Pikul

Ted Pikul SS.org Regular

It really does. I'm really impressed by this guitar.

I'm wondering about the pots, or anything else that might have made the p'ups hotter in this guitar, vs (for example) my LTD M-1 '87. That might actually have something to do with the little EMG preamp that the M-1 is equipped with.

18. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

Use the neck pickup for cleans.

Ted Pikul likes this.
  19. jl-austin

jl-austin SS.org Regular

Edit - nevermind, they are both trembucker models.

The other obvious thing is the tone control. The Jackson has one, the LTD doesn't, but that should make the LTD sound more brighter, and the Jackson should be tamed some....

Last edited: May 10, 2021
    Ted Pikul likes this.
  20. Ted Pikul

Ted Pikul SS.org Regular

I think the tone circuit on the Jackson accounts for a lot of the sonic differences between the guitars.