I'm addicted to adrenaline

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by facepalm66, May 3, 2015.

1. vansinn

vansinn SS.org Regular

Maybe a couple decades ago or so, some scientists explained that those who have the need for adrenaline - the need for speed ;) really have a deficiency in their DNA.
    My line of thinking is simply: I feel pity on those who do not have this enhancement :lol:

Anyways, on the issue of skydiving.. yup, the initial jumps are much different than later.
    The experience changes with experience, turns into more of being able to experience each moment, simply because of learning to block out non-needed thoughts and focus on the now.
    For those with a scientific mind, who thinks they can explain linear time: Get yerself a few hundred skydives and understand how time really is relative :agreed:

And now the scary part of adrenaline junk'ism: I used to be able to get a rush just by thinking of my skydives, especially visualizing the exit. Now, I have to actually go do something generally considered abnormal to get my dosage - and I really do not much like cold turkeys.. :spock:

2. asher

asher So Did We

:scratch:

That situations (and just our brains) can alter how we perceive time does not make it actually different :lol:

3. michblanch

michblanch SS.org Regular

Yea I had a close friend who was the same way. Always felt he had to push the edge.

Until he clipped a car doing 120 on his bike. Broke his legs , broke his back and had both testicles and dick ripped off when he hit the fuel tank flying forward.

Now he's just a sad guy in a wheelchair with a colostomy bag who can barely get around and complains because he'll never have children.
    Complains because he won't ever get married because it's hard for a woman to deal with all of his issues.

Has had his parents bear the burden of his decisions. His mother and father had to bath him change his clothes , empty his piss and .....
    Watched them put every dime into his care to the point of getting on government assistance. His mother died and his father and sister now help care for him.

But , do what makes you happy just be careful out there , sometimes it's the .... you don't see coming that gets you and leaves your family with the repercussions of your decisions.
    Be careful , you never know what new guitars are coming out and you might not get to enjoy them.
    Did I mention to be careful?

4. pink freud

pink freud SS.org Regular

Not to mention that linearity and relativity aren't mutually exclusive...

5. Ibanezsam4

Ibanezsam4 SS.org Regular

you could try bonzai skydiving.. you toss your chute out of the plane, wait 3 seconds and then go chase it. increase the amount of wait time to be more extreme!

record is 50 seconds

6. facepalm66

facepalm66 The Master of Joints

Sounds like stupid and fun at the same time, but..
    Any video about people actually doing that? No dropzone would ever allow this, you know.

7. MikeH

MikeH Bring the gain

Competitive strength sports. Highland Games or Strongman.

8. vansinn

vansinn SS.org Regular

^that really is a relatively long wait for suiting up - and I'm pretty sure time towards the end of the chase no longer feels linear.. (couldn't help it ;) )

9. stradfire

stradfire psilocybinoculars

We need to hang out.
    *Sees location*
    Fvck.
    I've been thinking about BASE jumping, but a person thinks about a lot of crazy things after a certain amount of time cooped up indoors with a broken leg :nuts: I did that on April 1st when I ran a red light on my tiny Harley Street 500 (tiny to me, I'm six feet three inches tall) and T-boned a pickup truck. I was running on fumes after a four or five day trip that was poorly planned, ran out of money, so I had to beg for a couple bucks. I was going uphill only a few yards from the gas station, saw the red, said screw it, paid for it. Lucky bastard that I am, I saw the truck without his lights on (at night) just in time to turn my bike, so my right side got a bit mangled. My foot was hanging off to the side from a broken tibia & fibia, but I'm just thankful it wasn't my head hanging off to the side. Adrenaline for sure :hbang: Learned my lesson.

I love scrambling up mountains and being in nature in general (see user title), but adding the cliff jumping aspect would be that much more incredible. OP, if you're ever in SoCal, hit me up!

10. Vhyle

Vhyle Jackson Shill

Just wait. When you hit your 30s like me, you will find yourself begging for some adrenaline some days. It does slow down over the years, trust me.

11. facepalm66

facepalm66 The Master of Joints

Imho it depends on the person. For example when I .... up at something, I cannot think of anything else, because, sadly, it's the only thing that keeps me focused from not doing anything *RELATIVELY* very very stupid. And, over the years, it becomes more of an addiction, because it's a way that has always worked out, and I don't think so that, in human nature, something that has worked so well for YEARS, will just grow out of it. It works for kids, but not so much for adults.
    Add even more when you don't have much to lose, like kids, wife(s) etc. And even if you do, whatever you care, if your dead :D

12. vilk

vilk Very Regular

I get boooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooorrrrrrrrrredddddddddddddd