IGC 2019 Summer Build Challenge

Discussion in 'Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations' started by IGC, May 5, 2019.

1. IGC

IGC SS.org Regular

Did a lil rough forming on the neck today (above) it will have a flatter semi elliptical shape when done.

XPT707FX and Defyantly like this.
  2. IGC

IGC SS.org Regular

[​IMG]

First off, sorry for the shitty pic quality, I didn't really have time to get anything better. Anyhow, I got the frets pressed in after work tonight. Still need to dress the ends. I made a few bevel blocks for filing fret ends at varying angles, look forward to using them.

Some mock up action above, I'm really excited bout that top!!! The plan for the weekend is to finish rounding the neck, glue it in, hopefully bridge and fret ends.

The shot below is from last weekend, you can kind of see how I am forming the neck...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 9, 2019
    XPT707FX, Rattlehead83 and KR250 like this.
  3. IGC

IGC SS.org Regular

Filed the fret ends today

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Did some more neck shaping too, I hope to finish the neck this weekend, it's taking forever to form things as I envision them.

[​IMG]

And some mock up action with frets beveled

[​IMG]

4. Deegatron

Deegatron SS.org Regular

OOOOOooooooo.
    That looks nice......
    I gotta ask. everyone else that I've seen carves their necks starting at the outside and works their way up to the center. You seemed to carve your neck by starting with a consistent radius on the back and the rolling over the edges correct? I've thought about doing it that way before but never actually given it a go.... does it work well?

Also,
    is that a flat radius fretboard? looks flat to me....

IGC likes this.
  5. IGC

IGC SS.org Regular

Thanks!

I actually made a template to form at fret zero, and a template to form things at 20.375 up from zero, and the idea is to connect the two. But that is not how things are at the moment. I am still quite stock safe of the finished template size, and since I have so much extra stock to work with, I was tempted to try other improvisational ideas that came to mind.

Yep flat fret board. ..

6. Defyantly

Defyantly Aspiring Builder

Pretty sick build man! I do have to say that's a lot of frets! I can barely get through 24 (or 25 in my builds case cause I cant count....)!

IGC likes this.
  7. IGC

IGC SS.org Regular

Sorry, had to cut my last reply short without answering your question. Initially, yes I did start from the outer neck and worked to center, with two sets of angled facets straight up the neck. And now I am kind of improv. rounding and faceting with my templates in mind. Thats where I'v left off.

Thanks!
    I decided to get as many frets on the board as I could fit, not that I ever really play up that high. I like unusual stuff like that :D

Defyantly likes this.
  8. Defyantly

Definitely will make for a unique build! What color for the top did you plan on going with?

IGC likes this.
  9. IGC

IGC SS.org Regular

I did some dye testing on that bean shaped control cover (a piece of the top) laying in the grass next to the guitar above. I'm torn between that honey burst sort of thing or just natural with tung oil?

10. Defyantly

Oh right. I would say go for the honey burst!

IGC likes this.
  11. IGC

IGC SS.org Regular

Big D has a good you tube on that honey if interested. The burst will also take more time and sanding. .. but I do really like that honey burst!

12. IGC

IGC SS.org Regular

[​IMG]

Got the electronics holes in and recessed. Finished the bridge plate.

[​IMG]

Did some carving of the lower cut out area too

KR250, Solodini and XPT707FX like this.
  13. Defyantly

Very nice!

IGC likes this.
  14. IGC

IGC SS.org Regular

So I'v spent the last week dyeing and sanding on this thing. Here's the various stages of the process. First step 2 phases of brown and sand back.
    [​IMG]

Stage two, one cote of yellow to sand back

[​IMG]

Stage three, red and brown bursting. I'll sand it back to lessen the color intensity and to get some of the natural wood grains back into the scheme of things.

[​IMG]

After I sand this back, I'm thinking that'll be it for the top and it'll be ready for tung oiling, but I don't think I'm going to oil things separately. I'm thinking finish oiling after all is done and assembled.

And I'm thinking just brown dye to sand back on the maple neck woods. Just tung oil on the ash body wood/fretboard, which will darken things up some/ enhance grain figuring.

I think I'm really gonna be pushing the boundaries of the deadline between my 50 hour a week day job and building. I hope to make it without compromising my vision for this build.

15. Deegatron

Deegatron SS.org Regular

ooooooooooooooooooo….. that's sooo nice...….

IGC likes this.