If you had to choose between these 2x12 cabs...

PBGas

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Mesa for sure! Great cabs! If I had more choice though, Bogner 212CB or my current Friedman BE-212.

Wizard of Ozz

Arch-Mage of Metal
Reaction score
Mesa Horizontal 2X12.

Mesa amps sound great with a bunch of other cabs too. I own a bunch of Mesa amps, but prefer how they sound thru my Bogner UberKab 4X12... way more than any Mesa cab I've tried.

Mesa does have Celestion "treat" their V30s at the factory... not exactly sure what is done, but the process results in more low-mids, and more bass from a new Mesa V30 vs another V30. Some peeps like them, some not so much.

As for Port City cabs, for the heavier more modern stuff, people seem to prefer Mesa cabs in a direct comparison. Plus Mesa builds a very solid product.

B.M.F.

Blasphemy Made Flesh
Contributor
Reaction score
After much thought and consideration, I decided to go with a Port City in this design:
PortCity-ColoredFrames-2.jpg

2x12 Wave Standard with Translucent Black Flamed Maple Frame and 2 ET90's, 8 ohms
All black options. You may be thinking "why ET90s". I break in speakers by playing them mega loud, I used to have them in my Peavey XXL 2x12 and I liked it better than the Retro 30 next to it, then again, everyone knows by now I am not a fan of v30s. Kind of what left the MESA out. The MESA looks like a solid beautiful reliable cab. Soon I'll have the living space to do a stereo setup and it will be by main choice, or start a whole "B" rig off of it. All my favorite effects are modulation and time based effects and those always sound better in stereo.
For extreme gain sounds recently I have been teaching my ears to dial up the mids more (cut through) and treble down on all my amps (sounds better in front of speaker, reduces fizz instantly.) A speaker like the ET90 which is similar to the 100 watt Celestion speakers sounds nice in this setup. Gives the bite and high end I like to those mids. Well thanks for chiming in on this. Happy to move to a speaker cabinet and do away with the combo amps. There's a lot of good knowledge here about on this forum and I'm always learning a newer or better way to handle the rig.

EDIT: Of course I will let you guys know how it sounds

Last edited:

diagrammatiks

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
pretty!

I actually don't like v30s very much either. I keep one cab around with a single v30 just to have it though.

I've tried almost every cab except the uber boutique ones. I ended up with 2 port city 412s with scum backs and a zbest with 2 scumincos and I never felt the need to buy another cab again.

ah_graylensman

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
After much thought and consideration, I decided to go with a Port City in this design:
PortCity-ColoredFrames-2.jpg

2x12 Wave Standard with Translucent Black Flamed Maple Frame and 2 ET90's, 8 ohms

Congrats! I got one of those a couple months ago, only more plain-jane and unloaded. I installed Emi Wizard and Governor speakers in mine, and it sounds great. I have it and a PRS SE 2x12 driven by my Archon 50 head -- the PRS cab has a little more thump, and the Port City has more chime and swirl.

NateFalcon

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
That’s one of the nicer looking cabs I’ve seen in a while...solid Choice!

Jacksonluvr636

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Either would be fine but I would go Port City just because.

Why just those two? Bogner makes some of the best 2x12's out there and like your post suggested there are many others.

I would steer clear of Earcandy. The guy has a very bad history of screwing people over and TBH the cabs are nothing special. First hand experience.