If you had $2kUSD for a custom 8 string, what would you get?

What (custom) 8 String would you get if you had $2k USD to spend?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

thorgan

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I've messed with the Balaguer builder and it usually sits just above 2k (one pictured is 2320$ but with the current 15% off it falls under 2k), never played one though

Attachments

• My-Balaguer-Custom-Guitar.jpg
    My-Balaguer-Custom-Guitar.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 34

Awaiting Oblivion

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
No…they don’t. Not for your $2K or less price range.
GC had an older Skervesen 8 Astilla earlier this month. No idea of the year since I’m not familiar when everything they have made but that was $1,999. There was also a fast sale on FB marketplace for an 8 Swan maybe for around $2200. I’m talking used not new builds obviously. But my point is it’s possible to find a Skervesen USED for around the $2k mark.

mikernaut

pixel pusher
Reaction score
I'd vote Kiesel, The 2 I have play better and are more inspiring to play then The Skervesens I own/have owned.

profwoot

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Valravn? Are they even taking orders right now? Their shop is kind of in a shitty situation that's no fault of their own. I think a few people here ordered them before the war, and IDK if anyone ever got theirs. @profwoot ? @ICSvortex ? I don't recall who else...
It's complicated. They've really had a rough go of it over there with losing their equipment and materials and access to hardware. I'll eventually do a NGD with the whole story, but I did receive a guitar that I subsequently sent back for fixing.

For now my honest recommendation would be to give them some time. There's not even a whiff of scaminess and they're good about communicating, but they're still a very small and very new shop trying to make guitars under very difficult circumstances. Granted, prices will presumably go up as they get better at what they're doing, but if you order now expect a bumpy ride.

ShredmasterD

Calls it like it is.
Reaction score
  • If you had $2kUSD for a custom 8 string, what would you get?
you can get a custom made guitar for 2k? where? besides a stripped down kiesel, thats not happening. at least that is, for any level of quality

Awaiting Oblivion

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
  • If you had $2kUSD for a custom 8 string, what would you get?
you can get a custom made guitar for 2k? where? besides a stripped down kiesel, thats not happening. at least that is, for any level of quality
Yes a basic Kiesel is one of the options in the poll along with used models. Valravn also have builds under $2k which is also on the poll.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
aren't velaran china made low end? they make custom axes?
It's a fairly new shop in Ukraine who does all of their marketing and even orders via social media. Last I checked, they had no website or traditional methods of contact, so I guess that cuts down on their overhead.

I haven't ordered one, but a few people who use this site have, and the reviews seem to either be positive or awaiting some issues to be worked out.

Awaiting Oblivion

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
aren't velaran china made low end? they make custom axes?
They are CNC bodies so that may cut down costs but they are not made in China. Maybe you’re thinking of NK?

They are made in Ukraine. For reference my quote from them with options more exotic than Kiesel was over $1k less. This included Carpathian Burl, fishmans, 5piece neck, etc.

I’ve never played one or seen one in person but the people I’ve talked to online that have purchased them have said the quality is very high along with customer service.

fantom

Misses his 6 strings
Reaction score
$2k ain't buying a custom anything... Maybe Warmoth and finishing it yourself? If you want a "custom" guitar, you are spending like $3-4k minimum at this point. If you want a production guitar that lets you pick from precanned options, probably cheaper to just find something you like as it is and give a reasonable offer. Some of these production guitars sit in warehouses for years. Companies will definitely take a decent offer, especially if there is a sale already going on or there are discontinued models.

For used, I'm sure you can find, if patient, a BRJ for less. You might also be able to find a Caparison Broken used for less.
No…they don’t. Not for your $2K or less price range.
They do. I know 2 guitars sold for $1500 (7 string) and $1800 (8 string) in the last few years. There was also a Skervesen at Guitar Center for $2000. Hell a NOS 7 string Nebelung sold for $2k from a dealer a few years ago.

Remember the price people list a guitar for isn't always the selling price. And with Skervesen, this site is an echo chamber. In reality, they aren't a very well known brand. Most people in US will just pass by one without thinking twice.

Last edited:

park0496

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
My vote is Kiesel, I have two Aries bolt on 8s that play amazing! I pick up the kiesels more than my other two 8s (ESP Stef B8 and Majesty Crystal Amethyst 8)

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
OP, can you tell me what the purpose of the question is? The options on the poll are all vastly different, so it's like asking, "If you have $2000, what computer are you going to buy?" You're not going to get any consistent answer, because each of us is going to buy the custom (or production) guitar that has the specs we need. And if you are looking to buy a guitar, it would be ideal if you could list what your must-haves are, and then we can recommend a guitar. Valravn, Kiesel, Halo, Ormsby, and Skervesen and all pretty different builders, and really only have 8 strings in common. So if, for instance, you want a trem, you can only choose Kiesel. If you wan 29" scale length, Kiesel is out, etc.

Awaiting Oblivion

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
OP, can you tell me what the purpose of the question is? The options on the poll are all vastly different, so it's like asking, "If you have $2000, what computer are you going to buy?" You're not going to get any consistent answer, because each of us is going to buy the custom (or production) guitar that has the specs we need. And if you are looking to buy a guitar, it would be ideal if you could list what your must-haves are, and then we can recommend a guitar. Valravn, Kiesel, Halo, Ormsby, and Skervesen and all pretty different builders, and really only have 8 strings in common. So if, for instance, you want a trem, you can only choose Kiesel. If you wan 29" scale length, Kiesel is out, etc.
I mentioned in an earlier post that it was just a poll. I’m not in the market for a guitar as I bought a used Carvin a few weeks ago as mentioned.

I put up the poll because I already knew what I would do but wondered what others might do just for fun.

You are correct and these builders don’t have a ton in common except price point really and having 8 strings. Opening it up to production models would be all over the place so I just put some of the more common $2k build or used options that one would find on reverb or GC. Of course each of our specs are different that’s why it’s just brands not specific models and specs.

So in short, as mentioned earlier it is just a hypothetical poll. Maybe people that said they would get something else not listed would mention a cool builder most of us don’t know about? Something like that.

Again, I’m not looking to buy a guitar so this is not a “I need a recommendation for what I should buy”

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
I mentioned in an earlier post that it was just a poll. I’m not in the market for a guitar as I bought a used Carvin a few weeks ago as mentioned.

I put up the poll because I already knew what I would do but wondered what others might do just for fun.

You are correct and these builders don’t have a ton in common except price point really and having 8 strings. Opening it up to production models would be all over the place so I just put some of the more common $2k build or used options that one would find on reverb or GC. Of course each of our specs are different that’s why it’s just brands not specific models and specs.

So in short, as mentioned earlier it is just a hypothetical poll. Maybe people that said they would get something else not listed would mention a cool builder most of us don’t know about? Something like that.

Again, I’m not looking to buy a guitar so this is not a “I need a recommendation for what I should buy”
Ah, OK. Well, I'm going to go out on a limb here, and say damn near everyone is going to take the Skervy, given that if one can be found for $2000 it's a hell of a deal. I'm not sure I've seen one for sale under $2000 in the last 3 years. A used Kiesel at $2000 probably isn't that much different from the oodles of other used Kiesels, UNLESS you can find out with some killer specs that you specifically want.

What is the semi custom Ormsby? I wasn't aware there was a semi custom line. I thought it was just the GTRs and full customs. (Although, those full customs are just semi customs, really - but priced super high, so I'm not sure if those are what you're referring to.)