If you guys had $1000 for effects

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by TheFireSky5150, Apr 4, 2018.

Individual Pedals or FX-8

1. Individual pedals till I die!

26 vote(s)
    52.0%
  2. Digital FX are the future

21 vote(s)
    42.0%
  3. Get a charger for your dying phone

8 vote(s)
    16.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. gunch

gunch Riff Chugman

Keeley tone workstation (Red Dirt, Katana and Compressor in one box)
    Fortin Zuul
    EHX Tube EQ
    older multi-unit that can do Holdsworth's 8-band delay

2. Wolfos

Wolfos Guitarded

Well I'll tell you my pedalboard right now, it was under $1000 and I will never need another pedal (cause my wife said enough is enough lol)

TC Polytune 3
    Horizon Devices Precision Drive
    Empress Echosystem
    Empress Reverb

I absolutely love it.

Deadpool_25, Dineley and budda like this.
  3. Seabeast2000

Seabeast2000 Tropospheric Holocenian Contributor

Someone tell me you have an Avalanche Run on your board so I can justify buying one.

:djent:

4. bhakan

bhakan SS.org Regular

I personally prefer individual pedals. I use some pretty oddball pedals that may be difficult to recreate in something like an FX8, though it may be possible, I haven't tried. More importantly though, I abuse reverb, which is something I generally have to tweak for each set since different rooms have different amounts of natural reverberation. I much prefer being able to just pull back a knob instead of going menu diving to adjust the reverb mix on every preset. For weird noisy parts, the knobs are also absolutely essential as well.

I think it comes down to how you're using effects. If you just need to cover the necessities, a processor will probably have way more functionality than a board. If you're building your sound around effects to some degree, I feel like physical pedals may be the way to go.

5. Wolfos

Wolfos Guitarded

I demoed one at a store and wanted so bad to like it. I walked in there ready to buy it but after about an hour there was just something about that made me walk away. Hard to explain but something about it couldn't quite convince me to get it, I felt it was good but not great.

Seabeast2000 likes this.
  6. Dineley

Dineley SS.org Regular

You know you need to convince the wife to get the Empress Para EQ

budda likes this.
  7. Dineley

Dineley SS.org Regular

Also real pedals have so much mojo and are so cool, but digital multi fx is I think the smart solution, if you eventually find that you use a super limited amount of the options available on the digital unit, you can then pick out the holy grail pedals you really really want to nail your tones.

8. pearl_07

pearl_07 SS.org Regular

I've always considered going the multi-effects route, but I really enjoy the simplicity of adjusting my knobs on the fly without the learning curve of a multi-effects unit. Plus, GAS is a lot easier to cure with a $200 pedal rather than a $1000 floor unit.

Seabeast2000 likes this.
  9. budda

budda Do not criticize as this Contributor

Most of the "single" pedals, even with screen editors, don't have all the options of the flagship multi's. This can be good or bad depending on if you *have* to tweak versus being satisfied. For example, one thing I wish more companies did is include a separate mix and level control. Having that in the FX8 means I can drench my clean signal without worrying about a volume jump. It's probably the one thing I wish my Strymons had.

Dineley likes this.
  10. mongey

mongey SS.org Regular

another plus for pedals is that collecting is a hobby in itself . if you are interested in it then pedals are fun .researching stuff buying sutff , flipping stuff , buying more stuff

I am totally over it now but for like 15 years I was right into it . and if you buy quality stuff resale is generally pretty painless cause there another pedal junkie who wants to try it

and you can make money sometimes.

when I first got into boutique pedals i had the chance to buy a klon for $350 and i passed cause I didnt need some clean boost at the time. so stupid

downburst82 likes this.
  11. Dineley

Dineley SS.org Regular

Yeah I love the amount of control on the digital units, I have a Helix and its unreal how much you can dial in. As much as I know I never would be better off with actual pedals, there is some weird allure to them either way.

budda likes this.
  12. budda

budda Do not criticize as this Contributor

A pedalboard full of pedals (usually a couple of boutique ones in the mix) has visual appeal. It's saying "here's what I use/enjoy/can afford" and it's similar to taking your boutique/small shop guitar to the gig instead of an MIM strat with an upgraded bridge pickup. I still enjoy the look, but the issues I've had with a traditional board really make m appreciate what the latest round of multi's brings to the table. I don't need to use the deep editing portions of my FX8 (I have no idea what changes would make actual sense) and it was quick for me to dial up the sounds I already use. Does it look as cool? No. Did I just simplify my live rig so I can focus more on playing? 100%.

MASS DEFECT and Dineley like this.
  13. narad

narad Progressive metal and politics

^^ I think I deviated from the plan here.

LeviathanKiller, rexbinary and mongey like this.
  14. sylcfh

sylcfh SS.org Regular

A phase 90/95 and a quarter pound of weed.

Leviathus and rexbinary like this.
  15. LeviathanKiller

LeviathanKiller Knee-shooting Archer

I couldn't imagine being happy in the scenario of having to adjust several pedals mid-show to get certain sounds or not adjusting stuff mid-show and being stuck with 1 setting for each pedal.

These all seem like great choices if I were needing only effects. I'd probably get one of the cheaper ones and do hybrid setup with a multi and a couple of specific nice pedals for whatever I use the most.

DigiTech RP1000 [$300]
    Line 6 M series (remember these anyone?) [$300]
    Line 6 FX Firehawk [$400]
    Line 6 HX Effects [$600]
    or the Fractal Audio Systems FX8 [$1000]

16. Bearitone

Bearitone SS.org Regular

double post

17. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

Individual pedals. Technology bores me. I spend enough time with the shit working on computers in college, I don't want that bullshit anywhere near me when playing guitar. The only exception is turning on my backup laptop to find tabs and learn songs.

EDIT: To be clear, I meant technology bores me with regards to guitar playing.

18. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

Depends on how you use them I guess. With me, with effects, I am not too picky. I usually just want the effect or not.... I either introduce some Chorus, or not. I dont care too much about the actual settings of it, as long as it a nice "usual" sound. (no weird, knobs cranked spaceship sounds or anything). I tend to like many of the 2-3 knob effect pedals for this reason. Just kick it on or off every now and then without being too picky about the details of the effect. Even on my Axe-FX, I usually use default settings for most of the effects. I spend all my obsessing on my distortion and EQ, lol.

LeviathanKiller likes this.
  19. Deadpool_25

Deadpool_25 SS.org Regular

As much as I love fractal (had AFX and FX8), if I was getting a digital Fx unit now it would be the Helix FX.

But individual pedals for me. At least right now. Just more fun for some reason.

20. Andromalia

Andromalia Pardon my french

As someone that came to gigging age in the late 80es, I'd go with a rack multieffect and a midi pedalboard. I've had bad experiences with having expensive gear on the floor and those things last forever. I still have and use the Roland midi pedalboard I bought then. For 1K€ I'd get something like a GMajor, a Roland/Boss FC 100, and an expression pedal or two, or a wah if you use one.