If Misha Ordered An Oni (Oni Content, Obviously)

Discussion in 'Extended Range Guitars' started by narad, Oct 3, 2019.

1. ramses

ramses Guitar/pizza regular

OK. I get that :-D

narad likes this.
  2. Djentlyman

Djentlyman SS.org Regular

I think Misha would approve

also killer guitar!

narad likes this.
  3. Thaeon

Thaeon Cosmic Question Asker

I am SOOOOOOOOO jealous of you right now. I can't wait for mine to be done. The blue is stellar man. You should stop smoking whatever you're smoking...

Dan is literally such a gem of a dude I don't think I could get mad at him if I wanted to. For the most part, he makes the build process feel like one of your best mates is building you a guitar.

The blue does look gorgeous. I love seeing new Onis.

narad likes this.
  4. mphsc

mphsc lover of fine woods

Congrats. Love Oni. We will be the exclusive USA dealer for them!

narad and Thaeon like this.
  5. narad

narad Progressive metal and politics

I really wonder if that video has (a) increased Oni sales because Misha's playing one, or (b) decreased Oni sales because it sounds awful.

xzacx likes this.
  6. Thaeon

Unsure. Probably increased sales because this video was at the height or buy whatever Misha is playing on YouTube madness. I can’t tell if the scratchy tone is the phone mic or just a poor dial on that amp. Which appears to be a pitbull UL. If I remember correctly that’s @HighGain510’s Oni.

7. narad

I actually recall it hurting my opinion / desire to order. There just aren't many Oni vids out there, so even though I know this one primarily sounds ilke shit because it's like a phone clip from 2007, since it was one of a tiny number of reference points, it definitely put me off a bit. Really needed someone with a ton of experience like Elq to come along and praise it.

Thankfully these days we have Fluff, EtschyPi, Unbiased Gear Reviews, and Steve something to show us what's good......

BTW, when do you get yours?

8. Thaeon

I leave time frames up to Dan really. I figure another 3-6 months though. I know he’s got my neck cut and has started on the body. Rhett Schul puts out really good content and there’s obviously Pete Thorn. Arnold lives about an hour and a half from me in Austin now. I’d actually like to have his take on Oni. And I’d be willing to let him borrow mine to do a review. I want Dan to get as much exposure as possible. K Dwyer on YouTube has a band and one of the older Onis. His stuff sounds killer. I record gigs a lot on my GoPro. So I’ll be putting out content with my band as well.

9. dpm

dpm Oni Guitars Contributor

Probably (b)

I remember that guitar having a really broad frequency range acoustically. It sounded more like a piano. Spruce body and neck on that one. I can't recall which pickup design was in it, the probably had quite a bit of cut too. I have to remind myself that nobody was making fanned pickups back then, and nor were they interested in doing so.

Thaeon likes this.
  10. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

You are far too hard on yourself, dude.

There are many reasons why that video doesn't sound all that great and I wouldn't even put your pickups in the top ten.

Masoo2 and Thaeon like this.
  11. dpm

Hey look, an actual recording

12. Thaeon

Oden has great tone too. Isn’t he using a triaxis on that?

13. Thaeon

I agree. I imagine the guitar had very little to do with that tone. When I go back and listen to that first Periphery album I cringe a little. Tunes are fun. Guitar tone? Not so much. They’ve gotten way better in the time since. But around that time it wasn’t so great.

14. BIG ND SWEATY

BIG ND SWEATY Edgy

Super nice looking! I think the only thing I would have done different would have been to get white/silver hardware, the blue/black combo has always looked cheap to me for some reason.

15. dpm

Ah, I guess it just feels like ancient history. In my mind the newer guitars from 2012 onwards were a big step, then the new neck construction maybe about 2016, plus lots and lots of little things. Realistically quality hasn't changed drastically, but as these cohesive whole entities the guitars are just better.

I believe the studio recordings are a Sherlock Fathead (made in Melbourne) combined with a Bad Cat of some sort. There's triaxis in there too, but I think the main gain tone is those two amps blended.

Thaeon likes this.
  16. Thaeon

Interesting. They sound interesting. How do they compare to the Monoliths you’ve been telling me about lately? They look like an all the bells and whistles sort of thing. The low end on that album is really nice, but it’s a little rounder than I would expect from an 8 string. Speaks a lot to your guitar’s ability to be set to a pretty open tone. However, I have no idea how much production magic is on there. I suppose I could just ask Oden.

17. dpm

The MI Megalith is a different beast entirely, even though you can pull all sorts of tones from it there's a persistent "immediacy" to it, it feels quick and direct and it doesn't make me work as hard as with other amps. I find I have to use a heavier attack with most other amps to get the kind of attack I like.

I haven't tried a Sherlock in person but I get a more "classic" vibe from what I've heard. They sound great.

Funny thing about the Like Thieves recordings is that I can hear that it's an Oni, and from the decay of the notes I can tell that it's the old standard carbon bar neck reinforcement

prlgmnr, Bloody_Inferno and Thaeon like this.
  18. Thaeon

It does have ‘a sound’. Just based on the one I’ve played. I didn’t think bigger lows and tighter were possible together. Some how it happens. It’s hard to describe. But I think I can hear some similarities between the recordings I have of me playing the touring seven and on the Like Thieves recordings. Being pretty familiar with them already, I had an “a-ha” moment. I played it on a Carol-Ann. Classic high gain. Sounded really good. My Herbert is not that sound though. It’s really immediate and modern. Tight attack, but really round. The clip you sent me sounded like it’s significantly brighter than the Herbert. I’d be interested to hear @narad sound off on the tone of the Oni given his assortment of amps.

19. steinmetzify

steinmetzify CHUG & SLUDGE

Love this dude @narad

Guitar looks insane, love the paint, and the story was awesome to read.

HNGD mang

narad likes this.
  20. narad

It's really tough because I don't have any other 8s here, owned only one 8, played only a handful of others, so a lot of what's new is "Oh hey, I have a low f# again". Some things I can say though:

a) overall tone from the pickups is really great to my ears. Balanced, but versatile. They're backed off a bit compared to like the Lundgren stuff, so there's just a hint of grind coming in to say, yes, it's basically a metal voicing, but not over-the-top. Even soloing high on the bridge pickup isn't too harsh, and the neck pickup is very smooth. I'd really need to try them in a 6-string standard scale to understand them more, but I feel like they'd be a contender for best pickup.

In comparison to other 8 sets, lundgrens m-series are great but hot 1-trick-ponies, lace were trash, and d-activators were nice overall but lacked a bit of character. These are most similar to the d-activators, but just overall much nicer sounding.

b) the clips kinda get it. Not the Misha clip from last century obviously, but a lot of clips on Dan's FB page, the ones posted here, there really is something standout about the tonal character of it. I can't put my finger on it. It's like a punchy smoothness with a low-mid focus and a lot of oomph. I'm not surprised Dan can pick it out.

c) sustain is crazy. This is the single most notable part to me, is how long the notes on this guitar sustain before any noticeable decay kicks in. I'm not talking about how long the notes actually last - who cares. But this is really interesting and I've followed up with Dan about it a bit. He's saying it's the carbon rods. If it's really something not much connected to the scale length, man, would be killer to have on a shorter string guitar for solo work.

As far as amps go, I've only been using it with the Vh4 and the rectifier. Prefer it with the Vh4, but I don't know what to say much more than that. Since it's such a long scale length, I've mostly just been doing chord stuff. Playing some The Haunted stuff. Sounding great for that. At the moment I don't have it setup to be super tight, but might try it with the precision drive when I'm back to my apartment in a few days.

I can try it out with something specific if you're interesting.

AltecGreen, Winspear and Thaeon like this.