If Misha Ordered An Oni (Oni Content, Obviously)

Discussion in 'Extended Range Guitars' started by narad, Oct 3, 2019.

1. Pietjepieter

Pietjepieter SS.org Regular

Interesting layout to have a blend knob, I have seen it sometimes on bass guitars, never on a guitar. I thing it is quite intresting tone wise, but quick switch between neck and the bridge might be a problem I suppose! Thinking about it, it would be interesting to have a three way switch that is bridge - blend - neck. Than you can do the blend and also switch quickly when going from bridge to neck.
    Kill switch is cool too! Only thing I would have really added is a coil split, love split coil sound on the bridge pickup on the low strings with a 8!

Anyway super cool axe! digging all of it!

Solodini and narad like this.
  2. Fred the Shred

Fred the Shred Shrederick

STFU, man - it looks glorious!

As for the whole "OMG HE TOOK 6 YEARS" thing... no he didn't. He didn't want to go through with an idea given past experiences, narad persuaded him, he tried to find a way to achieve narad's very specific results after a lot of that and then decided to use a more reliable alternative give how he wasn't pleased with the results after proposing said approach to his customer. The end.

Dan is a star of a guy and one hell of a luthier, so it would take a massive bellend to be hostile towards him.

3. The906

The906 lifetime novice Contributor

Nice axe. Love the epic Scope Creep tale.

narad likes this.
  4. Avedas

Avedas SS.org Regular

Man your living room is big

Razerjack, StevenC and narad like this.
  5. BigViolin

BigViolin breakfast foods

Flat. Out. Epic.

Hell of a tale man, NGD thread delivers.

Congrats!!

Last edited: Oct 3, 2019
    Thaeon and narad like this.
  6. wannabguitarist

wannabguitarist Contributor

Excellent color choice. It's always nice to see new Oni's pop up.

7. Vyn

Vyn Not a Sparkly Vampire

HNGD! Have seriously contemplating ordering one of these as they are about the only custom option that's affordable over here.

narad likes this.
  8. narad

narad Progressive metal and politics

That's a pretty cool idea. For me the quick switches aren't necessary these days.

I thought you were trolling until I caught the location lol. Yea, it's big by Tokyo standards but the apartment only has two rooms: the one you can shit in and the other one.

AltecGreen, Avedas and Solodini like this.
  9. Paul McAleer

Paul McAleer newborn baby

No dude, that color is a PRO

10. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

10/10 would (will) buy (if you ever sell it!)

and about the 6 years thing - it’s not horribly unusual. I’ve been waiting far longer than that for my KxK. It’s not ideal, but the high end shops are longer, and there are often things that delay it (like in this case).

11. dpm

dpm Oni Guitars Contributor

This guitar almost killed me

To put a little perspective on the time frame and complications -

The initial time frame quoted was looong because I had a few life things going on including a baby on the way, the death of my mother and the impending death of my father. At that time I was only taking orders under the condition that customers were happy to wait.

IIRC the initial plan didn't involve carbon at all, but finding a figured top to Narad's standards wasn't happening so I caved to the carbon idea again. I'm not blaming Narad for this, it's my own stubborn refusal to let the material beat me that made me agree to it.

Version 1 was done within the time frame. Narad wasn't convinced about the burst on the edges, I wasn't 100% happy with a little sinking of the clear coat into the carbon weave. Incidentally, by this point I'm working for free, if you want to start looking at things from that perspective.

I decided, in my idiotic perfectionism, to do the carbon over again, this time first molding it into the body contours in reverse, then gluing the pre-shaped carbon cap on. This involved making a reverse mold of the top shape then using a resin infusion method for the carbon fibre. It worked better than the initial method of applying carbon directly over the shaped body. It's also an incredible amount of work for a single use. Again, my own choice, I wanted to beat this thing.

Just as I'm getting to this stage I find out that the secret twin of this instrument is having very slight issues with finish adhesion (I started with two bodies in case of trouble). Really subtle stuff only visible at certain angles and seemingly depending on the weather. I think it might have something to do with carbon being extremely heat conductive, maybe. Doesn't matter, that guitar is just about refinished too. The last thing I want with a customer as particular as Narad, who also isn't local to me, is a finish issue potentially flaring up in 2 years time.

So then we're onto the cursed blue, that gets done, everything is strung up. I had it on a slightly modified stand for photos, it was sitting there for a good 10 minutes while I tried a bunch of camera settings and then for seemingly no reason it just fell off the stand sideways and I had to refinish, again

Oh, the sustain thing - it's primarily the carbon fiber lamination inside the neck, but other things also factor in. That also effects pitch stability on heavy attack. I'll happily keep putting carbon inside guitars, just not on the outside

12. narad

Pleeeease?

thesnowdog and StevenC like this.
  13. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Let the good man be!

14. spudmunkey

spudmunkey SS.org Regular

[​IMG]

AwakenNoMore and Thaeon like this.
  15. narad

Honestly I think the bold solid or metallic colors suit the shape better than the CF that would-have-been, with the burst and all that, so I'm just kidding around. I'll always lust after this though:

[​IMG]

16. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Were you really going to ruin that with a burst? :noplease:

thesnowdog likes this.
  17. narad

The burst was an unwanted but necessary fix for the CF revamp. I can't quite remember the details -- something about the edges of the old ones being a bit rough -- maybe Dan can say more. Though I've seen some really thin bursts on the edges of modulus CF basses that looked fine.

18. ramses

ramses Guitar/pizza regular

I find your lack of curved-frets disturbing.

Honest question: why the insistence with CF?

19. dpm

dpm Oni Guitars Contributor

There was a light burst to blend the edges into the sides. When I took pictures they either made the burst look huge with the clear coat looking great, or the burst looked tiny but the clear looked like shit

20. narad

Cool Factor.

I mean, I think in 2013 I was just wrapping up my PhD, saw the glimmer of a real job and salary in the distance, and probably had like 8 custom build deposits going on at the same time. In that situation, just being a fanned fret 8 string wasn't really "different enough" -- I was always trying to get something maximally different or as prototypical to the builder as I could (as I envisioned it). For me, at that time, with Dan's stuff, that was the 2-3 CF Onis that were floating around these boards.

These days I feel better the fewer outstanding orders I have (just 2 now -- a boden and a daemoness, probably from 2014 range as well).

Last edited: Oct 3, 2019
    AltecGreen likes this.