If Misha Ordered An Oni (Oni Content, Obviously)

Discussion in 'Extended Range Guitars' started by narad, Oct 3, 2019.

1. narad

narad Progressive metal and politics

Man, what a ride this one was! I’ll start with a quick photo:

[​IMG]

So this is my new Oni 8-string. I think I placed this order back in 2014? I remember it was immediately after Elq did his NGD (also, where TF is that guy?). I had been considering Oni for a while and his extreme boasting put me over the edge. Elq had tried just about every boutique maker around at the time, so for him to give a review that was not just positive, but gushing, was enough to convince me.

In an effort to summarize what happened next, it was like:

me >> I want carbon fiber
    Dan >> There are many reasons I don’t do CF anymore
    me >> But I reeeeally want carbon fiber
    Dan >> Okay

<— 2-3 years later of developing new CF methods to fix old problems —>

Dan >> CF is done
    Dan (5 months later) >> The twin CF of your guitar is having adhesion issues with the top over time, so we have to ditch the CF. I have new very high quality auto paint.
    me >> Okay, what about this custom sky blue skyline thing.

<— 1-2 years later —>

Dan >> Blue is done. Behold.
    me >> Amazing!
    Dan (1 week later) >> Actually accident happened during final photoshoot and there is a chip. It must be refinished.

<— 1 year later —>

Dan >> Blue is done again. Take it. Take it please. GTFO.

That is to say it’s been a very, very long journey and there are many other things that popped up along the way that just made it seem like this guitar is cursed and would never actually happen. Dan has been phenomenal in terms of customer service and I have honestly not met any builder out there that is such a perfectionist. But perfectionism and bad luck are not things that mix well.

PROS:

On to the guitar itself, on the prog metal side of things, this is an absolutely killer guitar. Craftsmanship is at the highest tier (for me that is Huber - Hartung - Ken Lawrence level). It has possibly the best setup I’ve ever had out of the box and playability is really amazing. I had only recently acquired an Aristides 060s, and generally thought that, because of the construction method, that it’s a guitar whose playability is really a step above pretty much everything out there. But this is basically as good — it’d be splitting hairs to actually say one is better than the other. The heel is not as seamless from an aesthetic point of view as some of Dan’s older contours, but functionally it really is.

The design itself is not something that has been conveyed well in most pics out there. The body is radiused and the backside is fairly similar to a Parker Fly. I’m going to try to be the guy that depicts this accurately below. It’s not “form fitting”, but it makes the guitar feel closer to you.

In terms of sound, the bridge pickup here is “a good” sound. I think I would have preferred it voiced a bit more aggressively, but it’s very tight and clear, with a little bit of a “round”-er tone like how most Ibanez setup are voiced (and less Meshuggah). But the neck pickup is phenomenal for an 8-string! Overall there’s great balance to them, but to have such a smooth neck pickup at this scale, that I feel comfortable soloing on, is very impressive. I was sort of thinking about not getting a neck pickup, but this has me rethinking how much I’d use it.

The case is super cool. Dan makes them. They’re surprisingly small for a flight case and the corners are much smaller than the larger ball caps, and are easier to balance. I should have taken a shot of the foam under the guitar as that is carved out nicely too.

Oh, and the killswitch glows blue.

CONS:

The only thing I’m not sold on may be a bit of a surprise — it’s the color. It’s a great color and I’m sure a lot of people would prefer it over what I had in mind, but it just came out a bit darker than what I wanted and the tiny metallicness is so subtle that it might as well not exist. From a builder’s pov you can imagine what it’d be like to refinish this guitar a 4th time, so I kind of understand it, and it’s not that far off, but I’d have been really ecstatic had it been closer to the reference color.

The only other thing I’m not sold on is the scale. It’s huge — 29” or maybe even longer. I think because of the design it’s actually somewhat reasonable, but down in 1-5 fret range, I can’t really manage fast stuff across five frets.

TL;DR:

But overall I’m super impressed. And right now the AUD is in the dumps, which means that for American buyers, this guitar bought today is surprisingly affordable. Basically more affordable than an Aristides, which I’ll compare to mostly in terms of spec, and much more affordable than Huber/Hartung/KL, which I’ll compare to in terms of craftsmanship. So honestly if you like the design and you want a fast playing ERG guitar, this just seems like a no-brainer right now. I’m trying to pair down and even I’m kind of like…well, at these prices…maybe a 7-string? But Dan probably deserves better customers than me so strongest endorsement I can muster: check out Oni guitars. His lead times are in the 1-2 year zone, and hopefully with some health issues sorted they’ll come down a bit.

Pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Absolute work of art.

Hats off to Dan for making that thing, but most of all dealing with you. :)

Oh, congrats and stuff.

3. noise in my mind

noise in my mind SS.org Regular

10/10

narad likes this.
  4. Pietjepieter

Pietjepieter SS.org Regular

Wow just wow.... it's a thing of true beauty!!

Only question how does the pickup switching work? is their a push push or something like that on the volume?

HNGD!

narad likes this.
  5. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

Y u no get curved frets.

6. IbanezDaemon

IbanezDaemon Raptus regaliter

Very cool! Really love the styling on this one. Interesting read as well.

narad likes this.
  7. thraxil

thraxil cylon

Pretty sure I had that exact conversation with Dan at around the same time. I didn't push him further though (and then I got into planning a big international move and backed off entirely from ordering an Oni because I knew my life would be a mess for a while).

narad likes this.
  8. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger

Happy NGD!!! She's a stunner for sure!

You don't make it easy for builders do you haha

narad likes this.
  9. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

It's not just Dan.

HNGD

Thaeon and narad like this.
  10. narad

A couple more pics. Some of the CF remains, in the logo, truss rod, and back panel:

[​IMG]

And regarding the heel, so this is where my hand slides up to pretty naturally with basically no change at all from any other point on the neck (besides the weird angle holding it for the pic):

[​IMG]

And where are my fingers? Way up here:

[​IMG]

On another note, I have been trying to figure out exactly what I'm perceiving about this guitar that seems different. There's a few things going on, but one I think I overlooked initially was the sustain. It is insane. I'm not talking about the duration, but if I hit any of the lower strings and count to 10, the pulsing of the string sounds indistinguishable from when I first hit it. That energy really stays in the note very strongly before it begins to decay. Could be a side effect of the scale length I suppose.

Ribboz, failsafe, mlp187 and 6 others like this.
  11. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Hey @narad any way you could post a full spec run down?

12. narad

Yea, Yea. I've gotten better, but deep down I'm still just as nitpicky and indecisive as ever. Well, maybe not that deep.

The knobs are 1 volume, 1 blend. It's the first time I'm trying it out. Kind of a dumb idea for this guitar given the unlikely nature of using in-between tones on a 29"+ 8-string, but I wanted to try something that didn't use the 3-way. If I had to do it over again I would have tried to get the killswitch to be a latching pickup selector. Both ditching the 3-way and adding the killswitch were really just aesthetic things I wanted to try.

I don't like the look and functionally believe straight multiscale to be compensation enough for me.

Hey man, I've been on Ola's case for update pics on M2M #100 for a year and a half now, on a guitar that's probably 3-4 years overdue already. It goes both ways!

StevenC likes this.
  13. narad

Some sad photos of Onis that would never be. In the original the idea was to complement the blue killswitch with the bold headstock logo and color:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then the 2nd incarnation seemed a bit brighter to me:

[​IMG]

(This was the ref car for the 2nd-3rd versions):

[​IMG]

14. narad

Not entirely sure how accurate this wound up being -- my spec note was last edited Nov 2013! Obviously the CF stuff didn't work out:

[​IMG]

15. Adieu

Adieu SS.org Regular

Just short of SIX YEARS, and yet far from axe-murdering the guy, you sing his praises?????

16. narad

I think of it like this. Here's an alternate reality:

me >> I want carbon fiber
    Dan >> There are many reasons I don’t do CF anymore
    me >> But I reeeeally want carbon fiber
    Dan >> Reeeeally no.

<— 2-3 years later guitar is delivered —>

Like I'm not going to rag on a guy for unexpected fallout that occurred solely because he was trying to accommodate a customer's wishes. Plus at the time he legit quoted me like 5 years.

Also you can't axe-murder an Australian. You remember how big Crocodile Dundee's knife was? Can you imagine the size of their axes??

Merrekof, Ribboz, TVasquez96 and 6 others like this.
  17. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

For the love of god.
    Everywhere you look in these pics is just amazing.

The Oni is incredible. Amps incredible. Decorating incredible. Neatness incredible haha

18. Albake21

Albake21 "Just get a used Ibanez Prestige."

Seriously, I was more awed with narad's place and amp collection compared to a custom Oni haha

Love the guitar though, HNGD!

pick_d, narad and lewis like this.
  19. Randy

Randy Sous Chef Super Moderator

The color is perfect, stop complaining! :realmad:

20. oniduder

oniduder HONKEY DONKEY

wow cool, i'm impressed you got him to try to do carbon fiber at all, the guitar looks nice i must say

glad you're happy with it

m