If I get 8-string, will I still need my 7-string?

Discussion in 'Extended Range Guitars' started by Arterial, May 26, 2011.

1. Arterial

Arterial Dreamer

Hey all!

I've never posted in this forum before, and I've only started lurking here too.

I've currently got my eyes on an RG2228 which is brand new.

I was wondering, if I get my hands on it (if!), will my 7-string still serve any purpose? As of right now I don't play the 7-string too much.

I'm looking to get the RG2228 because I want to learn some Animals as Leaders stuff pretty badly! Also the extended range tonally of course.

Thanks, Dan.

2. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Need? No.

3. Scar Symmetry

Scar Symmetry Ex Whiny Bitch

Not being rude dude but is this really worth a thread? You're going to find out either way and no-one here can help you anyway. This is something you will figure out yourself.

4. bandinaboy

bandinaboy SS.org Unsui

Yeah you dont "need" it. but i kept mine bc i love all three of my guitars. 6,7,8. and they are all in different tunings. and they all sound very different. But if you want to only play an 8 string, well an 8 string has a 7 and a 6 in it. I def play my 6 and 7 more than i do my 8 tho.
    6= drop C
    7= Drop Ab
    8= Standard F#

5. DevourTheDamned

DevourTheDamned Fossicker

i asked the same question when i got my first 8.
    i sold my loomis sig for it, it was an agile.
    25 in scale 8 [dont ever do that]

basically, since i play in drop Ab, i just dropped all the strings a half step, then tuned my B string to Ab, then the F string to Eb so EbAbEbAbDbGbBbEb
    thats 3 E's. which makes for some kick asss sounds and chords.

6. Daken1134

Daken1134 SS.org Regular

you wont need it but ide say keep it. I bought my RG2228 about a year ago (still need to do a NGD) and i got rid of my 7 a few months later, then about a month ago i bought an RG7620 on a whim (which i still need to do an NGD on) and honestly... they are both tuned standard but i write so much differently on my 7 than on my 8,

I keep my 7 more as a tool than as a work horse since my band plays all 8 string stuff, and you can always play the 7 stuff on an 8 but trust me you naturally just play differently on a 7

7. leonardo7

leonardo7 Banned

:rofl: at not being experienced enough to have your own answer to this yet experienced enough to attempt learning ATL stuff

Edit: never posted in this forum yet has over 600 posts?

8. Scar Symmetry

Scar Symmetry Ex Whiny Bitch

I think he means the ERG part of the forum.

9. Arterial

Arterial Dreamer

oh yes, hilarious.

and as SS said, never posted in ERG.

10. nostealbucket

nostealbucket aint no gahdam woman

Yeah, I use drop C for my six string, since Eb or drop Db would be stupid when I can just play that on a 7 tuned to Bb or drop Ab.
    If you still really like 7s when you have an 8, and 7s still have some sort of meaning to you, then stay with them (w/ the 8 of course.), if not, give that 7 to me!!!

11. Jason

Jason Forum MVP

This is really personal preference. I think 8 strings for me its useless. :lol:

12. Sponge

Sponge Carpe Diem

What the hell? Don't make fun of the guy for asking a question like this in a social forum specifically for 7+ string guitarists. Its a legitimate question that he's just looking to get experienced opinions on!

Shame on you, whiny girly men, and your complaints!

To the OP,

I'd say hold onto it longer. You might find that having the 8 has its new fresh feeling and a whole bunch of ideas, and your 7 may collect dust, but you might just pick it up sometime and totally get lost in it all over again, and eventually find you want and have use for both.

P.S. You're not girly men.

13. leonardo7

leonardo7 Banned

OK I just couldnt resist, well Id say if your 8 string will be the exact same tuning as your 7 but only with an added string then perhaps you may not "need" the 7 since everything in your 7 will be present in the 8, only with more. Personally, I prefer a 7 to an 8. If your going to be performing then you will need a backup and in that case I would keep the 7 and tune it like the 8 but then you wont have the high string. In addition, if you simply dont need the cash then why sell the 7? I would buy the 8 then wait a month or two and sell the one you dont need, or keep both and experiment with different tunings and have fun with it :metal:

14. abadonae

abadonae This Fury Reborn

Hmm im not too sure actually haha,

Dude i've been playing 7 exclusively for like 4-5 years now and i love it so so much, i bought an 8 string about 2 years ago and decided after 2 months that i didn't really need it. It was excessive for my taste, so i sold it. Then spent the next 1 year and 10 months regretting it horribly so im getting another.

The guys on here are right, you naturally play an 8 different from a 7, same way i play 7 different from 6 and there might be times where your writing where nailing that particular riff may need that 7 injection. Thats what i find, the only time i pick up my 6 is when im thinking lead, coz i get that feel from the neck. But for riffs i naturally end up playing 80's/killswitch on it. so i pick up the 7 and drop right back into the good stuff.

I'd say keep it, like leonardo7 said, if you don't need the cash then theres no need to sell a perfectly good guitar that you still enjoy playing :)

15. Spaceman_Spiff

Spaceman_Spiff Contributor

Loomis for an agile? :squint: Haha no hate for agile though...I love the pendulums. But Im actually LOOKING for a decent 25.5 scale 8 for BEADGBEG tuning (carving desert canyons FTW)

As for the OP, I don't view an 8 as just "a 6 with two more strings" but as a completely different instrument, that requires a different approach. I say keep it, just to have options on tuning, tone, feel, etc.:metal:

16. fwd0120

fwd0120 Bipedal Hominid

To the OP:

Only if you can djent.

P.S: Welcome back shono :wub:

17. Grand Moff Tim

Grand Moff Tim Some call me... Tim

Did you hang on to any sixes after getting your first seven?

18. saovi

saovi Well-Known Member

Need? No. Want? Sure, the more the merrier IMO. Each guitar is unique, sounds different, plays differently and variety works.

19. mountainjam

mountainjam SS.org Regular

your laughing at this guy, while you don't seem to know the difference between atlanta and animals as leaders.
    :ugh:

20. leonardo7

leonardo7 Banned

Yeah I will admit I goofed that one up for sure. Now Im laughing at myself! Obviously I was multitasking and typing without much thought. :lol: