If I could ban a guitar model...

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by blacai, Mar 31, 2017.

1. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire Stage IV GAS

it's a pretty cool finish though let's be honest, it's such a missed opportunity to call a guitar the blood eagle and not offer a blood red finish :scratch:

2. xzacx

xzacx SS.org Regular

I would absolutely own a St. Vincent if they weren't so uncomfortable to play in classical position. Love the look/feel/sound. I'm not really a mini-hum fan either, but it would be cool just to have.

I'd argue that Strandbergs look pretty unique. No problem with not liking them, but I'm at a loss trying to figure out what you'd mistake a Varberg for.

I'd ban finishes that have more colors on a single surface than a multicolor swirl. See below - I count at least 5 distinctive colors, not to mention wood grain going in two different directions.

[​IMG]

3. KnightBrolaire

Yeah that was my experience as well. I like everything about the guitar excluding how it felt when trying to play in classical position.

I'd argue that the padalka headless guitars are pretty unique along with anything rick toone has made. There's no mistaking those for a steinberger or a vader.

4. xzacx

xzacx SS.org Regular

What about a Birdfish or Tesla too? Headstocks absolutely play into a guitar's overall design, but I don't get how you can say all headless guitars look the same.

5. All_¥our_Bass

All_¥our_Bass Deathly Chuuni

6. Mprinsje

Mprinsje st. anger ain't bad!

if i never have to see a picture of a reverse V again it'll be too soon.

[​IMG]
    AARH

God everything about those things is so incredibly wrong.

7. KnightBrolaire

sure those too. I'm not a fan of Tesla's work but it is definitely iconic. I like what frank montag is doing too: [​IMG]

8. GuitarBizarre

GuitarBizarre Listen to physics.

You realise the cover exists because the body is not thick enough to hold a normal 5 way in that position, right?

9. wannabguitarist

wannabguitarist Contributor

Nah, Ormsby is the worst. He's just to f*cking blatant about it. "Hypemachine." Whether or not you think the design is attractive it's just disrespectful.

10. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

Agreed. I think you win the thread. There was also a "flying W" shaped guitar, I forget who makes it. Almost as ugly as this, but the reverse V still wins the "should be banned" contest for me.

11. KnightBrolaire

I never understood the blackmachine hype. I remember just seeing bare bones superstrats with a different style of headstock.
    Siggi Braun's headstocks are gross, same with his fafnyr body shape.
    [​IMG]
    Also this guitar is ....ing ugly: [​IMG]

12. GuitarBizarre

GuitarBizarre Listen to physics.

Most "Flying W" guitars are just doubleneck Vs, but I know the one you mean, and it's a single necked abortion.

13. Viginez

Viginez SS.org Regular

all of them. including blackmachine. mainly because of the retarded headstock and all the hype.

14. Jeffbro

Jeffbro Banned

Any Gibson with those retarded self tuning things

Seriously the most worthless invention ever, if you play guitar you have ears and you have hands

15. vilk

vilk Very Regular

You mean having the strings suspended above thin air between the nut and the tuning machines? Because really really the first popular guitar brand do that was Parker. At least, the first time I saw a blackmachine my immediate reaction was It's like a heavy metal Parker headstock!

16. narad

narad Progressive metal and politics

Yea, I mean, I have a Parker with that headstock that I like. It's not so much a dig at string-over-air headstocks, but the builders who can't actually design anything decent themselves. They see people want blackmachines, so they create a market of slightly distorted blackmachine guitars. Ormsby like to phrase the hypemachines as satire, but really he's just cashing in and they're way more successful than anything he's actually designed. I'd feel like a huge failure if that was the best I could do at my craft.

17. vilk

vilk Very Regular

if I ever cash in on anything ever in the rest of my life I think it'll be totally dope

also I want more string-over-air headstocks with the 3x3 config like those metal neck Kramers. Maybe I'll make it V or O shaped instead of U shaped and cash in on that

18. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

I get what you guys saying with all the blackmachine copies out there, but... Black machine dont make them anymore so whats the problem with others building them? every mayor brand has a "strat" and a "lessPaul" guitar in their lineup, and some of those are 99.9% identical to the originals. Some of them till the point were it makes me think "why you even botter??"...."can you at least change/fix ANY spec so people can have a reason to buy them apart of brand loyalty?"

BM its just another "body shape" to use. Got popularized, people want them, people build them.... and I cant really complain since I got a hypemachine on order right now :p

speaking of that topic, the only thing I would ban right now is every single stupid "Fender" bass. Seriusly, like 80% of the bass market is a fender J or P bass look a like. And those are the worst un-comfortable, un-ergonomic, neck diving, huge, un-practical, basses out there. Seriously, cant anyone design a new bass shape anymore?. If this were the cream of the cream of basses I would get it, but as a bass design (not as sound), they are the worst. Its jsut an augmented Strat guitar with no real though of a bass player in mind

19. jl-austin

jl-austin SS.org Regular

at someone point in one's life you realize "it takes a lot of different people (and their likes) to make the world go around"

Ban guitars I would not.

20. feraledge

feraledge Heard the Good News about Maple Fretboards?

As much as I hate a lot of these guitars on a gut level, in time we are all going to need fugly guitars solely to prove to our significant others that "no, I don't want one of EVERY guitar." And for that, I thank them.