Ideas for modding my RG1527 - help me evaluating the ideas and the probable cost.

Discussion in 'Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations' started by Valnob, May 23, 2013.

1. Valnob

Valnob about tree fiddy

Hey guys,

Next week, i'm moving back from Canada to Belgium and I haven't sold my Ibanez RG1527 yet (and probably not at the end of the week), so I'm probably taking it with me to Brussels.

Anyway, If I bring it back to Belgium, I already have my Schecter SLS c-7 there and since I prefer the schecter over the Ibanez, I figured I could mod it (and I hope it doesn't break during the flight !). :idea:

So, I thought about some mods. Could you guys tell me if they are all possible ? And what would be the cost (approximation).
    (I already checked on some Luthiers in Brussels, I found one that could be good and on his website he says he charges 40€/hour (of work)+ pay the hardware etc...).

So, my ideas:

-Remove the 5 way switch (and fill the hole) -> is that possible ?
    -Put a 3-way switch (JP style) at the position of the Volume knob.
    -Put the Volume knob at the position of the Tone knob (So I would get rid of the tone knob (that i don't use)).
    -Put gold hardware everywhere
    -refinish the body for White Sparkle or Green Sparkle (Like the EBMM new finish).

What do you think ?

Oh, and here's a pic of my 1527 :
    [​IMG]

2. Nile

Nile Giver of the Likes

You could literally do all that yourself quite easily besides the filling in the hole and the refinish.
    When he takes the paint off he can fill the hole with a piece of wood the same thickness as the control cavity or just fill it somehow. Not that hard at all. That would be like what 15 minutes of work or less. A whole refinish I'd say would cost you a few hundred.

I derped and thought you meant fill a pot hole. Either way, laying it flat upside down and filling the hole with an epoxy or glue so its just filling the hole and sanding flat on the top when dry works too. Hell super glue and baking soda makes a pretty damn strong fill.

3. Valnob

Valnob about tree fiddy

I'm not sure if I could do all this by myself.

I'm no quite the "manual guy" and I do not have any material, I don't know anything about soldering, pickup routes or whatsoever.

I would prefer it done by a professional than me.

4. Nile

Nile Giver of the Likes

Honestly the soldering part is incredibly easy, can save you money and earn you some good experience. All it consists of is looking at a diagram which is pretty straight forward, heating the solder off whats there, and remelting the solder to keep the wire somewhere else.

If you just want it done and don't care about the experience/extra cash its cool just let him do it. He will probably do it neater, just that knowing how to solder/how the wires go is actually decently useful information.