IceKelly build

Discussion in 'Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations' started by foreright, Mar 1, 2021.

1. foreright

foreright SS.org Regular

Hi all,

Decided to crack on with my next build whilst I have the motivation. It will be pretty slow due to the kids being at home and me not being able to sneak off to the shed very often ;)

Anyway, I decided I have a distinct lack of pointy guitars and thought I'd try a kind of Iceman / Kelly hybrid. It'll be a 7 string multiscale using some ABM3210 bridges I've had lying around forever and Hipshot tuners. Scale is 25.5" on the low side and 24" on the high side. Body is (european) Ash with Black Limba neck and Rosewood FB. I might have a go at binding the body as that's something I've never tried.

I originally thought I'd go with 25 frets given it's kind of a Jackson shape and that's how they like to roll (haha) but then thought I may as well go the whole hog and go to 29 - I had a Washburn EC29 back in the day and it was pretty ridiculous :)

IceKellyPlan.png

I've got as far as jointing the body and started cutting out the neck. I spent an hour or so this morning making a final template for the neck / headstock so should get a chance to finish neck basic shape in the next day or two.

IMG_5995.jpg IMG_5998.jpg

Anyway... Question: Where would one obtain 7 string angled pickup baseplates (for a reasonable price!)? My Google-fu is obviously failing today or does such a thing not exist on its own?

2. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Wasn't sure of it going in, but that design mash-up is absolutely killer. Love it, dude.

AxeHappy and foreright like this.
  3. Randy

Randy The Pusterience™ Super Moderator

The point on the lower horn definitely ties the whole thing together perfectly.

4. Viginez

Viginez SS.org Regular

really cool headstock

5. Winspear

Winspear Tom Winspear

Sick!

6. Deegatron

Deegatron SS.org Regular

I enjoy that headstock a great deal. looks savage.

7. youngthrasher9

youngthrasher9 SS.org Regular

That design is fucking sick. Excited to see this project unfold.

8. Seabeast2000

Seabeast2000 Tropospheric Holocenian Contributor

That is a fantastic shape.

9. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

Holy crap, how is this shape not already a thing? That’s incredible!

And I’m glad you’re doing an angled pickup. Besides matching the fan, it will look good given all of the other diagonals on there. If you’re going to wind your own pickups, I have no idea where to obtain base plates, but you could ask Adam Bath, who goes by Elysian on here (or on FB). He makes pickups, so he might be able to point you in the right direction. (Or you could have him build you one - he’s a good dude.).

10. odibrom

odibrom .

... perto de onde a terra acaba e o mar começa...
    That's a pretty one, looking forward to its development. Nice CAD skills as well...

Regarding the pickup, are you building one? or probably re-assembling one so it could be angled? How about you draw it and have it laser-cut? I'm sure you can find some one to do it for a fair price...? Any way, start the drawing with the correct info on the bobbins sizes and poles' spacings...

... looking at that design, it is asking for a V sibling with the same aesthetics, like a Roads or a King type...

11. foreright

foreright SS.org Regular

Yeah - pickups... I'm a bit undecided on this so far. I was planning to as you say, get a base laser cut and re-assemble an existing pickup but I think I'll decide on that a bit later on. Not sure I have the patience to start building pickups, at least not right now. I did actually re-draw the CAD drawing with a 20 degree angled pickup and it's WAY better.

odibrom likes this.
  12. odibrom

odibrom .

I was about to suggest that, the advantage is that you have a standard pickup rout to put in whatever pickup brand you want... are there images of such iteration?

13. Winspear

Winspear Tom Winspear

BKP sell 10 and 14 degree pickups :) I do think it would look way better! Absolutely love this design though

14. foreright

foreright SS.org Regular

With 20 degree slanted pickup:

IceKellyPlan2.png

15. Ivars V

Ivars V SS.org Regular

This looks so awesome! Good luck on the build! I will be following this.

16. odibrom

odibrom .

@foreright ... yah, I'm quoting myself... It's just that when I saw your awesome new drawing I realized this wasn't what I meant to say. I was thinking in rotated regular pickups, yes, my mistake, but your drawing looks awesome. Maybe the pickup is a bit too close to the bridge... a little less and it would be perfect, imo.

17. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire only the dead have seen the end of GAS

I thought it looked familiar. Waghorn used a similar headstock with his 8 string kelly build.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 2, 2021
  18. foreright

foreright SS.org Regular

That does look really similar - his is a bit pointier I think. It's incredibly hard to be original with headstock design as pretty much most things have been done somewhere. I almost certainly did see that at some point.

Edit: @odibrom - yes I did try drawing it with a regular pickup rotated - it looks a little off compared to properly slanting the bobbins but it would certainly be easier (and cheaper!) to go that route...

odibrom likes this.
  19. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire only the dead have seen the end of GAS

Yeah, it's really hard to make both a visually interesting shape that's actually functional. I spent aaaages doodling headstock designs before I came up with a couple that didn't feel like overt copies of ESP or Jackson's pointy hockey stick headstock :lol:

foreright likes this.
  20. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

Now I’m brainstorming as if this were my build, but what I’d you ended the fretboard at an angle, and just float it over the end of the neck?