Ibanez ZR2 replacement options?

Discussion in 'Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations' started by Runander, Jun 28, 2020.

1. Runander

Runander SS.org Regular

Hey!

I have an old Ibanez S5470 that, if I remember correct, I bought in 2008 or 2009. It has really been a great guitar throughout the years. It has a ZR2 tremolo with the ZPS3 system but honestly I haven't used the tremolo much, the tremolo arm has mostly been in the guitar case.

I want to give the guitar a new look and for that I would like a gold bridge, now the ZR2 doesn't seem to be made anymore and it certainly wasn't any gold ones, so I would have to look for a different kind of bridge. The new Ibanez S guitars seems to have Lo Pro Edge in them.

I would like to know what my options are for replacing the ZR2 with another bridge and which bridge that would be? From the research I've done it seems that no other bridge would be "pop in and play" but how much work would need to be done? Ideally I would like an Evertune but that seems to be impossible due the thin body of the S-guitar?

So, what bridges can I replace the ZR2 with?

Cheers!

2. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

If you're willing to plug and reroute, just about anything, but you're correct that there are no simple, drop-in replacements for any of the variants of the ZR.

The complications mainly come from the layout of the bearing style trem posts and the route used for the ZPS around back.

Really, it just depends on the amount of work you feel like putting in, or paying for.

Runander likes this.
  3. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

Sell it and buy a 5570 or 6570 with a lo pro and then get a gold lo pro

Don’t do what you’re going to do to that poor zr2. The worlds most underrated bridge.

gclef and Xk6m6m5X like this.
  4. Runander

Runander SS.org Regular

Hmm, I hear you. There's nothing wrong with the bridge, it still keeps the guitar in tune after all these years. I might reconsider this.

5. Xk6m6m5X

Xk6m6m5X SS.org Regular

Try and ebay a gold one? They pop up from time to time and it really is a great bridge, i regret getting rid of my s540. I did snag a 520 parts guitar for a build i have in the works though

6. torchlord

torchlord SS.org Regular

It is possible to buy some old Ibanez bridges. I bought a replacement bridge from http://www.ibanezrules.com/parts.htm

He has four different variants of the Edge Zero w/ZPS3 type bridge listed with one of the gold bridges being discontinued.

I replaced my old Ibanez 1996 UV7BK Universe bridge which was so screwed from wearing down the coating where my hand wrest. It was an expensive purchase though it cost me about 440 dollars, because he gets them directly from Japan. I've also considered replating them again, but I've not yet figured out how to get the fine tuners and tremolo arm base out of the bridge. You can get cheap kits to electro plate metal on eBay and what not.

7. torchlord

torchlord SS.org Regular

You can get some Floyd Rose guitars fitted with Evertune but it may not be as pretty as you like it afterwards. You use to be able to send them into Evertune and have it done, but if my memory serves me they stopped doing it.

I contacted a Luthier who showed this conversion he did from Floyd Rose to Evertune Using a metal plate.

[​IMG]
    https://1drv.ms/u/s!AoTe_z2joSpEgohue5mkJTgtT3q5Jw?e=oXr2N8

Ola England had his done and this is how it turned out for him.

I've also considered doing this and thought if you did have it done so the wood was flat, maybe have it wrapped, which is a similar thing to what the do with cars.