Ibanez Wizard necks vs ESP extra thin u

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by Magnus Langslet, Jan 12, 2021.

1. Magnus Langslet

Magnus Langslet SS.org Regular

Title says it all really. Does anyone know how the two compare? Some ltd models look very appealing to me, but I don't know how the extra thin u profile compares to the nitro wizard/super wizard necks that I'm used to. I'm making a post here because I unfortunately don't have anywhere to try out guitars and feel the difference in person.
    Thanks.

AxeHappy likes this.
  2. bigcupholder

bigcupholder SS.org Regular

ESP necks are definitely thicker. Also the fretboard is rounder. Think half way between Super Wizard and a Gibson 60's profile.

Edit: I was thinking of the "thin u" not the "extra thin u". I have not tried the extra thin. Supposedly the difference is 1 mm (19-21mm vs 20-22mm). Probably pretty close to the Wizard then.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2021
    AxeHappy likes this.
  3. Zhysick

Zhysick SS.org Regular

ESP necks feel narrower than Ibanez necks, like the separation between strings is smaller on the ESP/LTD ones.

I like ESP necks and hate wizard necks.

Are very different on their shape.

Mathemagician and AxeHappy like this.
  4. Shawn

Shawn ESP • Ibanez Forum MVP

I own both and the ESP is def a little thicker, more on the older UV neck as opposed to the 7620 necks. It took me no time to get used to it....in fact, I love it.

5. Magnus Langslet

Magnus Langslet SS.org Regular

I have heard a lot of people mention the neck width thing, and it checks out because most ESP necks are 42 mm at the nut. The more research I do the more likely it seems that I might feel cramped on the ESP necks, I have very big hands. Bummer.

Zhysick likes this.
  6. Zhysick

Zhysick SS.org Regular

There are a few models from LTD/ESP that uses a 43mm nut (generally the ones using Floyd rose and Hipshot bridges)

But even thoughit will feel narrower than an Ibanez,the neck carves (Ibanez D shape versus ESP U shape).

If any I would suggest you to try one of the models with the extra thin flat neck with a 43mm nut. That is the closest from ESP to a wizard neck.

7. Sermo Lupi

Sermo Lupi SS.org Regular

Worth noting that string spacing isn't really relevant to hand size. Even with finger shape, you could have a large hand span but thin fingers, or large (chubby) fingers and a small hand span. In either case, a 42mm nut width isn't going to pose any physiological impediment compared to a 43mm neck. That isn't to say you won't notice at all; you probably will, but that's less to do with hand size as a physical barrier and more to do with the mental barrier of spending thousands of hours playing a 43mm neck.

Anyway, I guess what I'm saying is that, if you took the time to adjust, you could.

Magnus Langslet likes this.
  8. possumkiller

possumkiller Square Dance Caller

I used to feel huge differences between neck thicknesses. I had a KH4 with extra thin u and an MII with extra thin flat and some other MIIs with thin u. My Edwards EAL128 arrowhead felt like a baseball bat.

Now 15 years later, I visit my cousin and play with all his cool ESP goodies and all the different necks felt the same lol. Even the Alexi necks didn't feel anywhere near as thick as I had remembered.

I guess it could be because the long slender delicate flower stems of my youth have grown into big meaty sausages. An Ibanez 7 string neck used to feel wide as fuck but now I find myself doing a thumb over to make a full chord.

9. Rxcoma

Rxcoma SS.org Regular

10. feraledge

feraledge Heard the Good News about Maple Fretboards?

The biggest difference is that the Wizard necks have flat backs and the extra thin U is rounded. That flat back and my hand don’t really get along, but extra thin U or C is my favorite neck profile.

Zhysick likes this.